Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• @glasshalffull said:
    Strange that Barry Fry has sympathy for Tranmere because they have a game in hand whilst quietly ignoring the fact that Wycombe are in a similar position.

To be fair though Tranmere's fate is sealed by this conclusion. Wycombe are still able to affect their season.
    Plus relegation has a bigger financial affect than not getting promoted.

• I don’t disagree, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of his argument.

• Football guy in being against something that doesn't help his team shocker.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Strange that Barry Fry has sympathy for Tranmere because they have a game in hand whilst quietly ignoring the fact that Wycombe are in a similar position.

Mr Fry has tended to prosper more by the 'cash in hand' than 'game in hand' in the past.
    Whilst Barry has always been amusing with his little quips and cheeky smile, I've never really forgiven him for the way he kept celebrating when Barnet pummeled us 7-0 at Loakes in 1987.
    We were a club, desperately struggling, who had just sold them our, and the leagues best player in Noel Ashford. But Fat Baz, even when the 6th and 7th went in, had to charge halfway up the touchline doing windmills as if they had just reached Wembley.
    Showed a complete lack of class that night.

• Barry Fry never really ever had class let alone that night (that was a tough watch - but I’d forgotten God had gone there).

Steve Evans always reminds me a bit of him. And I don’t know why but I don’t particularly dislike either of them.

• To give Barry Fry some credit, the video of him signing Miguel De Souza is one of the best nostalgia trips from the mid 1990s you could ever wish for. Perfectly encapsulates the fin-de-siecle era before the advent of Cool Britannia.

• I’m watching the St Pauli BCD game and it’s a very strange experience. Reminds me of the Without Music YouTube channel

• @Malone said: ... classic one eyed nonsense...

Hmm - I'll try not to take that remark personally.

• They can go on about how hard done by they are for as long as they like, every free kick we were ever awarded can be used against us while they forget all about £20m man's ridiculous penalty and Phillips red card.
    Haven't really forgiven them for diving about to get the 90s league game called off as conditions were improving only for us to beat them by the same score with the same scorers later.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    They can go on about how hard done by they are for as long as they like, every free kick we were ever awarded can be used against us while they forget all about £20m man's ridiculous penalty and Phillips red card.
    Haven't really forgiven them for diving about to get the 90s league game called off as conditions were improving only for us to beat them by the same score with the same scorers later.

That replayed game was the ultimate well deserved fate wasn't it.

Their players were going over like it was an ice rink in the first game, obviously a massively planned strategy.
    At the time the mist seemed to be the problem, but i'll always remember that horror that the ref was actually calling it off, 67 or so mins in!?

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    They can go on about how hard done by they are for as long as they like, every free kick we were ever awarded can be used against us while they forget all about £20m man's ridiculous penalty and Phillips red card.

Their players were going over like it was an ice rink in the first game, obviously a massively planned strategy.
    At the time the mist seemed to be the problem, but i'll always remember that horror that the ref was actually calling it off, 67 or so mins in!?

It was touch and go if the game would go ahead as I remember but was ok and was getting better, it wasn't until we were 2-0 up that anyone at all slipped over, then it resembled a game of dominoes for five minutes. Was as clear as anything by the time the ground was empty.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

It was touch and go if the game would go ahead as I remember but was ok and was getting better, it wasn't until we were 2-0 up that anyone at all slipped over, then it resembled a game of dominoes for five minutes. Was as clear as anything by the time the ground was empty.

It was the frosty pitch that was the reason for calling it off though wasn't it. The poor visibility was just what we thought at the time.

Still a bizarre situation though.

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

It was the frosty pitch that was the reason for calling it off though wasn't it. The poor visibility was just what we thought at the time.

Yes, but the point was conditions were getting better, not worse, and were fine for both teams until one of the team's managers starting flapping his arms about at 2-0 down.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Yes, but the point was conditions were getting better, not worse, and were fine for both teams until one of the team's managers starting flapping his arms about at 2-0 down.

The visibility got better, but i'm not convinced we can judge on the footing, which was the reason it got called off.

• Am I right in remembering that Wycombe fans walked painfully slowly in front of the Peterborough team coach down Hillbottom Rd and when Fat Baz opened the door to tell them to hurry up they said they couldn't as it was so icy?

• Have heard on pretty good authority that the League One play offs are taking place on an estate in Durham in mid July.

• With the exception of that 'Thing from Grantham' , I never thought I would have as much disdain for a politician than I did for Gideon Osborne, but the lying,despicable 'Hopeless Hancock' is really getting close.

• I promised someone I’d try to stop posting politics on here, but this mendacious bunch of hypocrites can absolutely do one now. They’ve basically announced that you don’t actually have to do what they tell you, and that breaking the law is perfectly legal. Have at it everyone, do whatever the hell you like.

• @ChasHarps said:
    With the exception of that 'Thing from Grantham' , I never thought I would have as much disdain for a politician than I did for Gideon Osborne, but the lying,despicable 'Hopeless Hancock' is really getting close.

I'm intrigued as to how you've managed to pick one out of possibly the most useless set of politicians in our recent history.
    If the subject of todays scandal/distraction was a footballer the result would have been very different.
    They've successfully got us all angry about an advisor when we should be concentrating on the people dying of this virus and how to stop it.
    Everyone on mainstream media is following the ball when they need to be looking at the man

• @eric_plant said:
    Am I right in remembering that Wycombe fans walked painfully slowly in front of the Peterborough team coach down Hillbottom Rd and when Fat Baz opened the door to tell them to hurry up they said they couldn't as it was so icy?

Indeed. The Gasroom’s favourite bookie @Dickie is your main protagonist in this. Hopefully he’ll be along to explain himself shortly...

• Possibly, this could all be over by October (vaccine permitting) then the Guardian readers on here can get back to moaning about Brexit...

• The worrying thing for me is that that scruffy hippocrite seems to have more power in this country than poor old Boris.

• @mooneyman said:
    The worrying thing for me is that that scruffy hippocrite seems to have more power in this country than poor old Boris.

Glad it wasn't me (even in my furlough, unshaven, months beyond haircut time state) who thought he's bloody scruffy for the job he has.

• Apologies for this (nowhere else to vent) as I appreciate its sod all to do with football, but...

I’m the wrong side of 60 and the last time I can actually remember getting angry was about 21.30 on Tuesday 8 April 1975 but...

The fucking hypocrisy and absolute contempt for the rest of us shown by the spineless twats in charge of us over the behaviour of that gobshite Cummings has managed to change that. How the fuck can they expect us to follow their rules and guidelines after that.

Their attempts to say ‘move on, nothing to see here’ will kill people. Cunts

• I finally understand what “stay alert” means. You never know where an infected Government advisor is going to pop up next...

• edited May 2020

MacAnthony still going on. Comes to the conclusion that it'll cost about £200,000 a club to play on. That still sounds like a hell of a lot of money to many (most?) clubs in the division at a time when they can least afford it. Also, you can't take a figure for your club and apply it across the board - somehow I think clubs will have run their own numbers and go by those...

But apparently this is still nothing to do with cost or safety and everything to do with clubs wanting to play or not.

• Thank you @Ned_Ludd yes that was indeed, along with the Frank Worthington rumour, my finest hour!!

What happened was that after the game we went for a pint in the Vere Suite and as we came out the Peterborough players were getting on to their coach. There was already a gathering there giving them abuse and so I joined in as you do!

The coach then slowly pulled away so yes I had the impetuous idea to race to the entrance to the car park and head them off and walk as slowly as humanly possible down the road with the coach zig zagging behind me trying to get past. As other fans saw my one man protest, they joined in and so at our peak we were probably a 15 strong army.

Well the Peterborough players were not happy to say the least when they saw what was happening, the coach door opened and one of them asked me what I was doing, to which yes I did reply it’s too icy to walk on the pavement as I might slip over and so I was walking down the middle of the road.

At this point the player asked me if I wanted ‘some’ so I said come on then and the coach stopped and all the players piled off the coach and it all descended into a ruck for about 20 seconds. Ken Charlery had me in a headlock, they’re punching me in the ribs I’m swinging away under Ken’s armpit thinking I’m in a bit of trouble here and then suddenly I hear Barry Fry shout out for everyone to get back on the coach whereupon it all stops and they get back on the coach and away it goes.

The funniest thing was that someone, not me, who had clearly seen it all phoned 606 and said there had been a fight involving the fans and players and Barry Fry himself phoned up and flat out lied said that nothing had happened and that the caller was the one telling lies!!

Happy memories indeed!

• Amazing story. Imagine that happening now in the age of social media with all the attendant outrage. There’d be talk of lifetime bans. Aaron Pierre’s ‘discussion’ with an irate fan pales into insignificance.

• Different days indeed but nice one @Dickie. I’ll also forgive you for the Frank Worthington rumour now