Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• Funny how we started the season without Bury and with Bolton just hanging on amid talk of EFL reform and saving clubs, a few months and a nasty disease which will have taken the lives of supporters later and we are reduced to big budget failures of clubs "suing the arse" off poorer clubs. All in the name of integrity. Scum.

Do we think that clubs agreeing the whole carrying on if we can thing would give the EFL permission to call it off days or weeks later without another vote when it becomes impossible?

• I have always quite liked Peterborough, but this shameful episode is going to be hard to forget. It sounds as though Sunderland have been a big driver too.

• A guy Chris on that trail makes a great point overlooked by Oxford fans.
    That we were 4th the last time we played.

It really isn't our fault that the vagaries of an unequal total league meant we didn't have a game the last weekend of action.
    There should be more outrage at Rotherham blagging a narrow promotion, rather than against us.

Oxford fans fear playoffs won't happen and us going up. Even though no one has said that will happen

• @Shev said:
    I have always quite liked Peterborough, but this shameful episode is going to be hard to forget. It sounds as though Sunderland have been a big driver too.

One guy can totally put you off a club.
    Think Adams at Peterborough, Barton at Fleetwood.

• Why not have every team pick a penalty taker...then they and the goalie go to wembley...sit in the stands (plenty of room to social distance) and just go down and settle each outstanding game on pens? I will charge my usual consultation fee...

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    I have always quite liked Peterborough, but this shameful episode is going to be hard to forget. It sounds as though Sunderland have been a big driver too.

I’m sure you meant that nice Mr.Adams at Plymouth. Meanwhile, Mr. McDonagh has amended his Twitter profile to read ‘Owner of Peterborough ‘not allowed to play’ football club. It’s my ball and I’m taking it home springs to mind.
    PS I’ve asked this before and forgotten the solution, but what do I do to prevent me from having to sign in every time I want to post something on here?

• MacAnthony's updated Twitter bio should give you a good laugh.

• Someone mentioned toys being thrown out of the pram by MacAnthony. Can we all agree to refer to Peterborough's ground as 'The Pram' from now on? That would be superb.

• We've been top of the league for most of the season. Has anyone mentioned that?

• I'm not convinced he actually owns Peterborough either

• I wonder what would happen, if plans are put in place for playoffs and we are in them, were Wycombe to say we will not compete to avoid putting our players, staff and their families at risk? If we were to do so I’d be very much on board.

• @glasshalffull there should be a box under where you put in your log in details that says something like 'remember me'. If you click that, it should keep you logged in.

• @glasshalffull If I remember correctly from last time, you'd accidentally got your browser into a permanent "private window" session, which means you're always logged out as soon as you close the tab.

• Thanks to Chris and drcongo for the techy advice.

• Just had it confirmed that lock down is officially over walked through the park...beer cans, fag packets, pop bottles and sandwich packets strewn about in the previously well tended grass and by all of the benches. Makes you proud...

• Hi Wendoverman. Morons are morons lockdown or not.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Just had it confirmed that lock down is officially over walked through the park...beer cans, fag packets, pop bottles and sandwich packets strewn about in the previously well tended grass and by all of the benches. Makes you proud...

Any crisp packets overlooked @Wendoverman?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Just had it confirmed that lock down is officially over walked through the park...beer cans, fag packets, pop bottles and sandwich packets strewn about in the previously well tended grass and by all of the benches. Makes you proud...

They're just using their common sense, can't have crowds around the bin

• The traditional crisp eater is by nature a considerate creature who makes use of the available waste receptacles...yer Pringle tuber, Co-op sandwich eating, white lightning drinker however is a different animal altogether.

• Ah, glad I fall in to the first bracket @Wendoverman, being a chronic muncher of any type of rustling fried potato.

• Sounds like there's one vote to implement PPG as the means of determining final standings in the event of curtailment and then individual votes per league to decide whether they carry on. You'd imagine the first one is just a formality. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderlands-season-over-next-steps-explained-and-likely-result-league-ones-vote-outlined-2860977?amp

• edited May 2020

@glasshalffull said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

I’m sure you meant that nice Mr.Adams at Plymouth. Meanwhile, Mr. McDonagh has amended his Twitter profile to read ‘Owner of Peterborough ‘not allowed to play’ football club. It’s my ball and I’m taking it home springs to mind.
    PS I’ve asked this before and forgotten the solution, but what do I do to prevent me from having to sign in every time I want to post something on here?

Yep, my mistake there!

There should be a box to tick "keep me signed in" for the second part.

EDIT - obviously miles too late on the advice!> @floyd said:

We've been top of the league for most of the season. Has anyone mentioned that?

I've mentioned that a few times. That far from it being "good luck" that we're getting into the playoffs, it's actually massive bad luck this didn't happen in the 4-5months we were top 2!

(in the context of football, not life obviously)

• edited May 2020

I’ve read a lot of comments from supporters of different teams this evening, and something that keeps cropping up is ‘luck’.

“Wycombe are just lucky”
    “Wycombe were lucky to play Bolton’s kids”
    “Wycombe will probably be lucky and end up going up on PPG as the play-offs may not happen”

Luck is a funny old thing. It’s subjective for starters. We played a Bolton side in turmoil on day one of the season. Some would say that’s lucky. Shortly after the Wycombe game, the vast majority of their remaining senior players left the club. Therefore, we could argue that the teams that played them in the following weeks ‘had it lucky’.

We have more away games remaining than we do home games. That’s the luck of the draw - at the start of every season, when the fixtures come out, nobody knows if it’s going to be a good run-in or a tough run-in. For the Oxford fans in particular who think they’ve been hard done by, let’s compare Christmas / New Year fixtures:

Wycombe:

Oxford (a)
    Pompey (a)
    Coventry (h)
    Ipswich (h)
    Sunderland (a)

We picked up 1 point in those fixtures.

Oxford:

Wycombe (h)
    Lincoln (h)
    Wimbledon (a)
    Doncaster (a)
    Rotherham (h)

They picked up 9 points in those fixtures.

Were they lucky to have an (on paper) easier Christmas period? So if we wanna start bringing luck into it, where do we draw the line? Do we look at contentious decisions (I’m looking at you Charles Brakespear)? The thing is, you can’t counter luck because it’s just that. You can’t put a weighting on luck. Is it lucky that we didn’t play the weekend before the season effectively ended? Maybe, but that’s the luck of the draw and we shouldn’t be sorry for that. Is it lucky that we have played more home games than we have away games? Well, if our home form was crap and our away form was great, we wouldn’t think so.

Some of the comments that I’ve read, particularly this evening, seem to be ignorant to the fact that hundreds of people in this country are still losing their lives on a daily basis. But don’t worry, because Barry Fry has been ‘hard done by’.

• Brilliant post, Gary. I believe the acronym is POTD.

• Or even POTL, post of the lockdown!

• The sooner certain officials realise the difference between what is unfortunate and what is unfair the better.

• For every "you played Bolton's kid" or you got lucky not playing Coventry, they miss the huge "bad luck" that the league didn't finish in the period we were top two for 4-5months.
    Or that we played two games in 3 days over Christmas, whilst the second team we played had rested for the first fixture (that 23 league team thing again).

It's classic football fan behaviour. You get people doing it with big clubs saying how they get all the decisions, but totally ignoring ones they don't get.

• This 'Bolton Kids' thing?

Did Bolton play the 'kids' in the game at their ground too?

• Oh yeah the bit i forgot to say was inexplicable on the Oxford forum was the insistence of what a bye we apparently had.

Yet Coventry drew 0-0 with them in the same period!

It doesn't matter about missed chances or dominance it was still 0-0!

• edited May 2020

I have been watching on Twitter the reactions. Almost a mirror of fans forums, with the exception of D Mac who reminds me of a stroppy 13 year old girl. Anyway, I have prompted a few of them to look & listen to one of the last lines of this old TV advert. The reactions I am expecting not to be too favourable!