Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Ffs, sounds like it may only be 51% - despite various local news outlets reporting 75% - and Championship have to approve plans for L1 and L2. According to Times chief sports reporter.

I give up. Football isn't meant to be this mentally taxing!

I know advice I received to cut my Covid-19 news intake to once a day at the most has helped my mental state no end.
    I think I am going to take the same approach to the current football fiasco. It's a bit like monkeys writing Shakespeare. There are so many views one will be right.

• @chairboyscentral that tweet is almost a week old. I therefore wouldn't go off that!

• @Malone I've just had it confirmed to me as that, although I'm unclear on whether 75% have to vote to cancel in the first place before getting onto how to cancel.

I liked football until a few weeks ago...

• edited May 2020

Latest EFL statement. Confirmation that "recommended framework" in event of season curtailment is unweighted PPG with 4-TEAM play-offs. Also confirms majority needed to curtail is 51% - and it sounds like the options are literally play on or curtail following that framework. "Clubs are now required to give the matter further consideration, before the Board formally proposes the appropriate Regulation changes, which will then be voted on by all Clubs."
    https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronavirus-update2

• Suspect we will get confirmation early next week that the season is over. Personally can’t see the play-offs happening either but we will see.

• If my maths is right (sorry if this has been covered) if they use un-weighted PPG - would we have been 1 win away from automatic?

• @prufrock_91 said:
    If my maths is right (sorry if this has been covered) if they use un-weighted PPG - would we have been 1 win away from automatic?

Yep! Would be 2nd.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    If my maths is right (sorry if this has been covered) if they use un-weighted PPG - would we have been 1 win away from automatic?

2 more points actually! I know it's easy to talk about "what ifs", but that is:

• JJ scoring the last minute penalty at Ipswich
    • Not conceding the last minute equaliser at Fleetwood

Quite painful to think about

• There’s no doubt that Rotherham are the almighty winners if the vote passes to end the season...

• edited May 2020

Need 12 teams to vote to end the season now and we're in the play-offs. Think what an achievement that is!
    The EFL statement seems clear that each division makes its own decision @chairboyscentral -
    The Board considers that the majority required to curtail the 2019/20 season in any division should be 51%. Determining whether or not to curtail the season is a decision for each division to take.

• @WanderingDays said:

@prufrock_91 said:

I'm sure lots of other clubs are thinking similar. I imagine Peterborough for example are thinking what might have been if they hadn't gifted a 95th minute equaliser to 10-man little Wycombe back in October...

• I think the vote may be close. However, I think there is a better chance we get a single vote from the latter two groups than lose one from our 11.

End the season: (11) Coventry, Rotherham, Wycombe, Blackpool, Lincoln, MK Dons, Rochdale, Shrewsbury, Accrington, Wimbledon, Burton.

Keep playing: (8) Oxford, Portsmouth, Peterborough, Sunderland, Gillingham, Doncaster, Fleetwood, Ipswich.

TBD?: (4) Bolton, Southend, Tranmere, Bristol Rovers.

• edited May 2020

I don't think Donny would vote to keep playing; for starters, Darren Moore is asthmatic so in the high-risk band. Southend's chairman was calling for it to be voided, so that should count them out. And will the whole gang of six stick together?

• Good points - we only need one, and there are a few in there who could change. Fleetwood, Oxford or Portsmouth could well defect. I would not even put it past Tranmere to do the decent thing by other small clubs. I am also hoping that Bristol Rovers vote our way.

• Doubt Bolton, Tranmere and Southend would want to waste cash carrying on even if they had any.

• @mooneyman said:
    Doubt Bolton, Tranmere and Southend would want to waste cash carrying on even if they had any.

Tranmere definitely have reason to play on.

Agree on Bolton and Southend

The rest of the bottom half of L1 will vote to end, with that and the top 2 and presumably us, that should be enough no?

• Yes, if any of Bolton, Southend, Tranmere or Bristol Rovers vote to end it, we should have the numbers.

• edited May 2020

@WanderingDays said:

@prufrock_91 said:

Never mind these individual situations, imagine if this decision came in the 4-5 months we were in the top 2!
    But on the other hand, let's be grateful that we didn't have that extra game somewhere and lose, and then miss out even on play offs now!

• There can't be any possibility that the vote will favour playing the whole season out.
    That'd just be carnage, and rife with constant gaps while players and teams isolate, huge expense, and the very real risk of teams not throwing games, but putting out X1s that make the usual end of season fare look cup final effort in comparison.

• Didn't Rob Couhig say that he wants the season to finish on the pitch though? So maybe take Wycombe out the "end the season" group.

• edited May 2020

He said this time last month that he'd rather start a new season in August with fans than finish this one behind closed doors. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52354968

• @drcongo said:
    Didn't Rob Couhig say that he wants the season to finish on the pitch though? So maybe take Wycombe out the "end the season" group.

The play offs are "on the pitch"

• The dreadful Peterboro chairman has a 16 tweet justification of his behaviour below

Succinctly absolutely annihilated by the first comment below of

Replying to @DMAC102
    "I'm threatening to sue clubs that are nearly out of business but listen to how I'm the victim"

Absolutely superb comment.

• Look forward to his bitter rants when it's all confirmed his boys miss out on the playoffs, and meaning as an obvious man of his word, he thus needs to resign/sell up, as per a previous rant.

On another note, reading the Oxford site, early favourite is the idea that Ainsworth will "do his best" to ensure the playoffs don't happen, so presumably 3rd goes up...

But in the official statement it says if the playoffs can't be fulfilled then the league will determine what happens then.
    So they haven't said 3rd would go up for sure.

• Oxford fans don’t care about Wycombe Wanderers remember.

• @floyd said:
    Oxford fans don’t care about Wycombe Wanderers remember.

I wouldn't normally get outraged by a post on a forum, but that last one in particular is disgraceful.