Skip to content

Carlos Lopez

Here’s a photo of the great man lining up for Mexican side Atlético Celaya approximately 5 years before he made his Wycombe debut.

Comments

• Seems a nice bloke on Twitter

• Forgive me Chris, Which one is he?? I only saw him play once at Cambridge United away I think.he was pure comedy gold. I have never seen anything like that before or since!!

• Back row 2nd from the left, and back row far right.

Despite looking like he’d never seen a football before, he’d actually played 91 times for Necaxa who were one of the top Mexican clubs at the time - and was in the Mexican Olympic soccer squad in Barcelona 92.

He now apparently works as a scout for Man Utd (!) and as a sports pundit. This is his Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/cordobeslopez?lang=en

• @peterparrotface said:
    Seems a nice bloke on Twitter

Nice to know. So many find that impossible to achieve on Twitter.

• What happened at cambridge?

• He played at left back in place of regular Chris Vinnicombe and gave the worst performance ever seen by a professional footballer. He looked completely out of his depth.

• It was more than that, it actually looked as though he had never played football in his life

• Or knew what ‘football’ was.

• or running

• @Chris said:
    He played at left back in place of regular Chris Vinnicombe and gave the worst performance ever seen by a professional footballer. He looked completely out of his depth.

Far too kind. Most pissed blokes from a pub could play as badly as that

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2020

He did understand the value of a solid forward defensive stroke tbf

• Can anyone elaborate on the performance? Was there a stand out moment?

• It was a real you had to be there i'm afraid. Imagine yourself playing left back in the football league and you'll get the idea.

• ???who signed him?

• @bigred87 said:
    ???who signed him?

“the Sanch”.

‘quality in layers’.

• Ah Sanchez. I remember that summer where we made 1 signing - Charlie Mapes.

It'd be a toss up who had the least links in his network, him or Waddock.

• I can't remember him at all... i recall the bfp's two dedicated pages for the Castledine signing though?‍♂️!!!!

• Castledine had been great on loan a season or two before hence the excitement at the time.
    This was proved to be misplaced

• About 5 years on.
    Fans totally over looking that he'd played about 5 games a year since, so the idea of suddenly playing 30-40 a season was madness. I think even Sanchez said something along these lines.

Retired at 29 apparently. With about 60 appearances all in!

• Was it really that many years between his two stints? Bl**dy hell I must be getting old

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    Was it really that many years between his two stints? Bl**dy hell I must be getting old

I knew it was longer than 2 years without any doubt, but had to go to wiki to be sure on 5.

I remember he signed a 3 year deal, but I'd love to know what the logic was from Sanchez.
    By his own admission he said the guy had barely played a game for years, so don't expect high appearances.
    Did he sign him just as squad filler, or did he think he'd grow into a regular?

His finest work second time around, was getting his model-esque build into the Leicester game celebrations!

• I remember him scoring against barnet in the cup.... Sanchez brought in Devine and Curry so credit where credit is due they are two of my favourite all time players.