Skip to content

BBC article: EFL: 'Leagues One & Two clubs accept season over - so what happens next'

Comments

• edited May 2020

@mooneyman said:

@eric_plant said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52726278

It's absurd they're even thinking about it.

Absolute credit to Troy Deeney speaking out about it

Another 545 deaths today and the Premier League are still pushing to restart with our clown of a Prime Minister backing the plans. Utter madness.

I think Deeney made a very succinct point (for a footballer anyway) questioning why he can't get a haircut until July at the earliest but is expected to spend 90 minutes twice a week, getting close and personal to 11 opposition players on a football pitch.

Because there's £100s of millions riding on one, and not so much on a haircut.
    That's the rub, and we all know it.

• You can also televise the footy to keep at least some people amused while they stay in lockdown. Not sure televised haircutting appeals to so many, although I am vaguely aware of there having been TV programs based upon who can cut the silliest haircut.

• Much as I would love to get back and watch football, I fear it will be a long time, even once everything is 'open' and 'safe' before every single person feels safe in a big group I think.

• @DevC said:
    call me an old cynic but I wonder if Deeney would be doing the same if Watford had only beaten Liverpool by one goal.

Certainly not calling you a cynic but wondering about why you posted this and what 'ism drove it.

• You used to like it when 'what happens next....' was followed by some guesswork and a funn sporting clip

• edited May 2020

@Twizz said:

You can also televise the footy to keep at least some people amused while they stay in lockdown. Not sure televised haircutting appeals to so many, although I am vaguely aware of there having been TV programs based upon who can cut the silliest haircut.

Give it another month and I daresay we will all be watching television programmes that would have beggered belief a few months ago!

• @DevC said:
    call me an old cynic but I wonder if Deeney would be doing the same if Watford had only beaten Liverpool by one goal.

It has been announced today that 3 of the six positive covid tests are from Watford. Surely even someone as insensitive as yourself can understand why a player with a very young child with breathing problems might have reservations about returning to the training ground!

• Devc is the Joan Collins of football supporters, will quite easily move onto a new love without a backward glance, but is not to proud to return to an old flame. Also likes to have a pop at past lovers !!

• Topical!

• I can completely understand that some players will choose not to return if they have family members that are vulnerable.

But just like other workplaces, we need to start making a return while minimising risk and giving those most vulnerable the best chance to protect themselves by remaining at home.

Those people arguing against a return to work (football or otherwise) don’t seem to have an answer for when the time will be right. Waiting for a vaccine that may never arrive is not viable.

• @Glenactico said:
    I can completely understand that some players will choose not to return if they have family members that are vulnerable.

But just like other workplaces, we need to start making a return while minimising risk and giving those most vulnerable the best chance to protect themselves by remaining at home.

Those people arguing against a return to work (football or otherwise) don’t seem to have an answer for when the time will be right. Waiting for a vaccine that may never arrive is not viable.

That's simply not true, once the virus level in the community is low enough to be effectively contact traced via testing, so any "new" flare ups can be identified and local shutdowns enforced, then most people would have no issue at all.

Other entertainment venues aren't open, you can't compare people going to work in manufacturing etc to someone kicking a ball around, society can make do without football for a few months

• @Username said:
    "Other entertainment venues aren't open"

That would only be relevent if we were debating going to watch football matches. Not sure we are, yet!

Do we know if Premier League Footballers will be asked to exercise any kind of shielding once they return to training?
    If so I'd argue they would be in an elite group - tested 2x a week - and probably safer than many who are having to commute using public transport.
    While we must respect anyone who wishes to continue to isolate let's not think that can be a model for the whole of society for very much longer.

• @Twizz said:

@Username said:

That would only be relevent if we were debating going to watch football matches. Not sure we are, yet!

Do we know if Premier League Footballers will be asked to exercise any kind of shielding once they return to training?
    If so I'd argue they would be in an elite group - tested 2x a week - and probably safer than many who are having to commute using public transport.
    While we must respect anyone who wishes to continue to isolate let's not think that can be a model for the whole of society for very much longer.

Let's decide based on things such as transmission and death rates rather than a bit of boredom and self interest though.

• @Twizz said:

@Username said:

Actors aren't getting back on sets yet for TV filming, so it is relevant.

Football would be an anomaly if it returned in the next few weeks

• @Glenactico said:
    I can completely understand that some players will choose not to return if they have family members that are vulnerable.

With respect you are not comparing like for like. Trades and professions will return to work with a reasonable degree of social distancing in their respective work spaces in most cases. They will not be knocking ten bells out of each other on a football pitch in sometimes extreme heat for 90 minutes. I would suggest that all the grappling at corners, sweat, occasional blood, spitting (I know it is intended to be banned but will the refs notice) etc is more conducive to spreading the virus.

• Amongst many other ethical questions about the wisdom of returning there is still the unanswered question of sporting integrity.

Assuming Liverpool wrap up the title after a couple of games, they might (one example) decide to remove all their BAME players for the rest of the season for health concerns and play their kids. The equivalent of the free pass that Oxford fans are so upset we got against Bolton. How would that play out?

And teams with nothing to play for. Would they find good reasons for their top paid stars to stay at home?

Probably slightly better than PPG but hardly a true reflection of a normal 38 (or 44 in our case) season

• @Username, you specifically said other entertainment venues - I wouldn't put TV sets into that category.
    In any case, it's not entirely true to say actors aren't getting back on set. They will be in June https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52660480, which is also the earlier football might be played.

@StrongestTeam, I too would like the easing of lockdown to be entirely governed by transmission and death rate. However, if you don't acknowledge that it's a balance between that and economic factors you stay locked down forever.

• @Username said:

@Glenactico said:

That's simply not true, once the virus level in the community is low enough to be effectively contact traced via testing, so any "new" flare ups can be identified and local shutdowns enforced, then most people would have no issue at all.

Other entertainment venues aren't open, you can't compare people going to work in manufacturing etc to someone kicking a ball around, society can make do without football for a few months

Football is an industry just like my other. I could do without watching people kick a football around, yes. But then people could also cope without having their houses cleaned, their latest ASOS package delivered, or new pot plants for their back garden.

We are phasing in the return of non essential services. I don’t see why football wouldn’t fall into the ‘return with some safety provisions in place’ category like most other industries.

• Indeed football is not vital, going to the pictures is not vital, haircuts are not vital, Eastenders is not vital, going to the theatre is not vital...but it's nice (not Eastenders possibly) and part and parcel of life. Financially and socially you cannot stay locked up forever. The decision you have to make is whether or not you believe your leadership is empathetic, competent, willing to put the proper safeguards in place to protect you as the lock down eases and can find their behinds with both hands without having to get a 10 grand bung. Much as I love the idea of a return to work, the pub, the Beechdean and crisps, for me the jury is still out on that.

• I cant believe from whatever political persuasion you come from, that you can trust the present incumbents to give you a truthful account. You simply wouldnt rely on Boris,Gove,Patel or Raab to tell you if it was sunny or raining outside.
    I'm not mentioning Hancock as I struggle to control my emotions regarding that Spiv.

• edited May 2020

@Wendoverman said: Financially and socially you cannot stay locked up forever.

Charles Bronson is giving it a good go, 44 years and still counting!

• Trusting the political incumbents Chas...are you seriously saying the alternative would have been any better....Corbyn, Abbott, Wrong Daily, Barry Gardiner etc etc. Now that is a rabble.

• You can only play the team in front of you @mbs.

I have no doubt the NHS, schools and public services would be in a better position without 10 years of austerity, yes.

• @MBS said:
    Trusting the political incumbents Chas...are you seriously saying the alternative would have been any better....Corbyn, Abbott, Wrong Daily, Barry Gardiner etc etc. Now that is a rabble.

Not a fan or Corbyn and Abbott, nor were many other Labour supporters, hence the trouncing in their traditional heartlands.
    But whatever their shortcomings, and their were many, they would never have been so deceitful and untrustworthy as that cluster of incompetents that are currently in Boris/Cummings cabinet.

• edited May 2020

I'm not saying football should never come back, we're not that far from having a proper test and trace, but until we have that, it's too early for me.

The govt are claiming similar time frames but I just don't trust they'll get it working by then, but I can see them caving in to the PL no matter the situation.

We were on the right track with lockdown, but I fear we've taken our foot off the pedal too early in comparison to the nations with the best situations so far

• He wasn’t saying that at all @MBS. We will never actually know (either fortunately or unfortunately depending on your own particular bias).

What @ChasHarps was saying that he finds it impossible to imagine anyone actually trust the people currently running the show to be remotely honest and open s as bout what they are doing and what they have done.

So the question is: Do you?

In the interests of transparency I am firmly of the opinion that they seem to be playing the Trump game of telling blatant lies in the hope that people will believe them and trying to rewrite history.

This is important as when it comes to questions like ‘would you send your child to school when it reopens?’ they need the GBP to trust them enough to believe it’s safe to do so.

Ask around and see how many parents are currently comfortable to do so. If it’s anything like up here you’ll be lucky to get 1 in 10

• And apologies @ChasHarps - I know you are more than capable of fighting your own battles and it’s incredibly arrogant and pompous of me to put my own spin on what you did say.

• yawn. Will be nice when we can talk football again.

• To be fair @ChasHarps this set of poor quality HR managers, heartless millionaires and their blustering head sales rep were expecting nothing more taxing than a year or three of honking about foreigners so having to DO something must have come as a shock.

• @MBS said:
    Trusting the political incumbents Chas...are you seriously saying the alternative would have been any better....Corbyn, Abbott, Wrong Daily, Barry Gardiner etc etc. Now that is a rabble.

Re: Barry Gardiner, his son Jacob is a Wycombe player, so that makes him PM material.