Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• edited May 2020

Sunderland's CEO seems absolutely adamant that the season's going to continue. Deluded.

"From the moment the campaign was suspended in March, the EFL board has stated that any remaining fixtures should be played once it is safe and practical to do so, thus retaining the integrity of the competition.

There was a time when that looked like it would not be possible, but recent developments have ensured that the season can be completed within the initial timeframe set by the EFL."

What recent developments?

• Salary cap and limits on squad numbers look to be on there way then, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52738597

• Salary caps will not work and are totally unnecessary if FFP Rules were strictly enforced. Is it really logical that Sunderland say who get gates of over 30k can only spend the same on wages as Accrington who get an average of 3k.

All that will happen is players will be given huge signing on fees and we will go back to the old days of large brown envelopes being handed out containing £50 notes. The likes of Sunderland and Pompey will also have loads of spare cash which will simply inflate transfer fees even more.

• @mooneyman said:
    Salary caps will not work and are totally unnecessary if FFP Rules were strictly enforced. Is it really logical that Sunderland say who get gates of over 30k can only spend the same on wages as Accrington who get an average of 3k.

All that will happen is players will be given huge signing on fees and we will go back to the old days of large brown envelopes being handed out containing £50 notes. The likes of Sunderland and Pompey will also have loads of spare cash which will simply inflate transfer fees even more.

I think the idea is that wages have a cap, but bonuses can be unlimited. So only players getting lots of games, scoring goals, assists, winning games will get paid the big bucks.

• The homegrown quota would screw us, I'm not sure that part's necessary. A cap of 20 players total is also far too low, especially for a 46-game division. Who comes up with these things?!

• Saw Peterborough trending on Twitter so wondered what new ways they'd found to seal promotion

Turns out it's because McDonald's are reopening six drive throughs in the town.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Saw Peterborough trending on Twitter so wondered what new ways they'd found to seal promotion

Ready for the launch of the new Beef McAnthony?

Saw Peterborough trending on Twitter so wondered what new ways they'd found to seal promotion

That should sort out Barry Fry's burger withdrawal symptoms.

I think McDonalds were going to skip Peterborough altogether, but then six undeserving locations got together and agreed to sue.

• edited May 2020

That poses more questions than it answers.

PPG - presumably the non weighted version?
    Playoffs - presumably a standard 4 teams?

Is this a choice only of 2 options? Play the whole season v the short play off end?
    Does it need 75% of the vote?

And why on earth is it now dredged onto next week, for goodness sake.

Can't possibly see the play it all out getting voted in.

• edited May 2020

I'm trying to get confirmation, but I'm assuming it's four-team play-offs. If that's the case, I guess Posh, Sunderland and Ipswich would vote to play on, but who would join them? The rest of the gang of six make play-offs on PPG so may settle for that. In any case, would only take one of them to break away and, assuming Tranmere accept relegation, we'd have the 75% majority. Do any of the clubs with nothing to play for stand to lose so much that they'd be financially better off playing on?

• Surely one game play offs are the way to proceed in the present climate. The two highest finishing teams at home.

• I'm not sure only playing the play offs woukd be a favourable option for the players. Imagine having to get match sharp for an important match after 3 months out. Would be even more of a lottery than normal play offs.

• edited May 2020

@ChasHarps said:

Surely one game play offs are the way to proceed in the present climate. The two highest finishing teams at home.

One leg semis in midweek, the final at the weekend.

Potentially all at one venue - isolating players in team hotels like some sort of international tournament.

A sacrifice in being without your family for 3/4 of a week, but the only way you can prevent 25 players and staff per squad all mixing with numerous extras outside of that.

I'm not sure only playing the play offs woukd be a favourable option for the players. Imagine having to get match sharp for an important match after 3 months out. Would be even more of a lottery than normal play offs.

They would have to be granted a minimum of 3 weeks training first, probably 4-5.

And hope not too many come down with the virus during that period.

Not ideal, but a million times better than trying to play 9 rounds of games out.

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I'm not sure only playing the play offs woukd be a favourable option for the players. Imagine having to get match sharp for an important match after 3 months out. Would be even more of a lottery than normal play offs.

They would have to be granted a minimum of 3 weeks training first, probably 4-5.

Not ideal, but a million times better than trying to play 9 rounds of games out.

Sounds to me like rolling the dice and hoping sneaking a few games in whilst also acknowledging it is unsafe to play the remaining games. Players have never had this amount of downtime before. Add to that no warm up games. It's a massive ask in what could be the biggest game in some players career.

I still think we should just wait.

• Next week !!! That's just bloody ridiculous.

@Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Sounds to me like rolling the dice and hoping sneaking a few games in whilst also acknowledging it is unsafe to play the remaining games. Players have never had this amount of downtime before. Add to that no warm up games. It's a massive ask in what could be the biggest game in some players career.

I still think we should just wait.

A potential play off final would definitely be a player career highlight, but probably only in a packed Wembley. But that seems to be a minimum of half a year away. They really can't wait that far ahead.

1-2 games for a few clubs seems eminently reasonable in the circumstances.
    How they think all premier clubs can get 9-10 games in each, plus any cups I do not know

• @Malone said:

A potential play off final would definitely be a player career highlight, but probably only in a packed Wembley. But that seems to be a minimum of half a year away. They really can't wait that far ahead.

1-2 games for a few clubs seems eminently reasonable in the circumstances.
    How they think all premier clubs can get 9-10 games in each, plus any cups I do not know

Of course having big games in front of crowds makes it more memorable and is preferable but I'd say a behind closed doors play off semi final would still be a career big game for many Wycombe players.

I wouldn't want to prepare for that game in the current circumstances.

• edited May 2020

Steve Evans believes "the whole of Kent" would be buzzing if Gillingham got into the play-offs... Better get Burton, Shrewsbury and Southend in there to lift the moods of Staffordshire, Shropshire and Essex then!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Steve Evans believes "the whole of Kent" would be buzzing if Gillingham got into the play-offs... Better get Burton, Shrewsbury and Southend in there to lift the moods of Staffordshire, Shropshire and Essex then!

Oh if all of Kent are for it, then we best let some team in 10th in then! Great argument!

• edited May 2020

For some reason this is making me think of uplifting slogans, like:

"The Joy Of Kent Is Joy For All The World"

and

"Have You Made A Kentish Person Smile Today?"

• I’m from Kent originally and I like it when Gillingham lose.

• Ashwood City fan Chris?

• Margate was my local club.

• I doubt the supporters of Ashwood City would agree with him!

• @StrongestTeam said:
    >

Steve Evans has said he would prefer PPG as opposed to WPPG.

He's already been weighted

a robust HONK

• edited May 2020

Now sounds like the FA won't block relegation from L2 - but here's where it gets confusing: only 50% of clubs (in total and in the Championship - I don't why) need to vote in favour of scrapping relegation, but 75%majority (of clubs in the division in question, as far as I can tell) is needed to cancel the season. I read through the EFL rules the other day and they're not clear on it either. I just hope the clubs know...

• Ffs, sounds like it may only be 51% - despite various local news outlets reporting 75% - and Championship have to approve plans for L1 and L2. According to Times chief sports reporter.

I give up. Football isn't meant to be this mentally taxing!