Skip to content

BBC article: EFL: 'Leagues One & Two clubs accept season over - so what happens next'

Comments

• After all this if we lose a possible promotion in a play off Quarter Final with Gillingham...

• edited May 2020

I think it only takes Tranmere to go, "Hang on, why can't we have a play-off at the bottom?" to being this idea down. These may be unprecedented circumstances, but tweaking the rules of the league so arbitrarily now sets a horrible precedent for the future

• @Last_Quarter said:
    I always remember Lee "I chanted Lambert Out at Stockport" Hagger from the old Gasroom. One of my favourite posters - hope you're doing well @leeronhagg

On a similar note I wonder what happened to johnboy1 (sic). He seemed a decent lad too.

Ah I remember that guy. Someone cruelled dubbed him Harry Potter and he just sort of disappeared after that.

• @leeronhagg said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@leeronhagg said:
    No wind up, Righty! I guess we will see if my hearsay is true in due course.

I'm calling bull for the initial post and the need to defend it as you did.

'Relatively good authority ' to 'hearsay' in five minutes flat. At least stick to your story

Hey hey, calm down! I know you get a lot of WUM'ers on here.

This news has come from a player who was advised today by his manager (relatively good authority). I had it forwarded to me by a friend (hearsay).

I'm as intrigued as anyone how this will unfold. Just thought what I had heard might be of interest, when there is so little football news about.

Some of you guys sound like you've got a little upset by rival club fans posting on here recently - either that or the gasroom mk2 really is no friendlier than it's predecessor.

We do love an insider story.

But now this is suddenly a manager to a player, a player to a pal, a pal to you.

Bit of Chinese whispers going on here.

• edited May 2020

@Shev said:
    One other thing: If they cannot complete the playoffs after the first round, but we were knocked out, do we go up in 3rd? That is a problem they may not have thought through.

Now that would make those Oxford fans absolutely combust! Could you imagine.

The only even half way sensible playing on idea would be a straight 4 teams playoffs - 1 leg semis, 1 leg final.

One game midweek, one game weekend - it means you only have to keep the gang holed up somewhere for the minimum time, and reduce the risk factor.

Slightly more awkward with our old boys, but after 2-3months without a game I'm sure they can handle a 2 game season.

• Haven't we got two players with asthma? I don't know who they are, but obviously they're not going to be able to play in any play-offs.

• The games would only go ahead with rigorous testing - so presumably they could play as no one in the party has it.

• @Shev said:
    One other thing: If they cannot complete the playoffs after the first round, but we were knocked out, do we go up in 3rd? That is a problem they may not have thought through.

now that really would be a red rag to a Peterborough/Sunderland/Portsmouth shaped bull!

• This is getting embarrassing now. FFS make a decision now, even if that decision is to wait and then finish season in autumn.

Anyone would think this was the final year of promotions. If these “big clubs” at that big and mighty, let them accept their fate and earn their inevitable promotion next season.

Give the clubs one more chance to agree amongst themselves, if not EFL board makes the decision. See you in court.

• For the record, I genuinely think if you can't play the games without risking lives/creating chaos - then automatic places get promoted only, and it's tough luck for those in playoff places. The best worst team from the above division gets a reprieve from relegation.

• The only consolation is that only one of the Gang of Six can go up, at most. I would certainly be supporting Doncaster and Gillingham after Wycombe, though - it would be a special kind of hilarious if either a) we won the playoffs anyway, or b) in their self-serving fury to widen the playoffs, the big clubs let a team even further down get promoted!

• @DevC said:
    This is getting embarrassing now. FFS make a decision now, even if that decision is to wait and then finish season in autumn.

Anyone would think this was the final year of promotions. If these “big clubs” at that big and mighty, let them accept their fate and earn their inevitable promotion next season.

Give the clubs one more chance to agree amongst themselves, if not EFL board makes the decision. See you in court.

Surely this is the whole point of these horrible bullying tactics. Many of these 'big clubs' of risked so much on this season that next season may be one too many. Peterborough in particular have to go up as they don't have the bigger crowds Sunderland and Ipswich get.

Taking the end of the season in to the boardrooms has given them a chance like no other to use that power. They have not been able to get that advantage on the pitch.

It all stinks and will take weeks to unpick.

• It may be right but on the basis that the L1 clubs couldn’t (reportedly) agree at a ‘meeting’ on Friday hard to see they could ‘agree’ without a formal meeting over the weekend. “Yes Darragh, of course we here at (insert any team in the bottom half of the table) agree with your totally fair and unbiased plan” (whilst off-cam giving him the tosser sign).

It may all be immaterial anyway. As I understand it it will all depend on the Premier managing to finish the season in a short timescale. That isn’t the gimme that everyone seems to think.

• edited May 2020

At least we would have the comedy of Darragh suing the Premier League for $15 billion, using the following legal logic:

1. The Premier League failing to finish cost L1 the chance to promote teams.
    2. Peterborough were clearly going to win an 8 team playoff.
    3. Once Peterborough got to the second tier, they would sell Toney for $25m
    4. Using the $25m, Peterborough would discover cheap talents from non-league, and turn another ten players into $25m sales.
    5. Toney would re-sell for $200m to Barcelona, with a 75% sell-on clause.
    6. Peterborough would use all of the above money to gain promotion to the Premier League.
    7. Peterborough would "do a Leicester" and win the league within two seasons.
    8. Peterborough would win the Champions League.
    9. Peterborough would become so popular, that merchandising sales in the far East and America would surpass $5billion per year.
    10. Ergo, the Premier League's failure to finish would cost Peterborough at least $15 billion over three years, ultimately.

Open and shut case there, with no conjecture or assumptions needed.

• Worryingly that probably isn’t too far from what he does think

• @Malone It was I that posted about the info from the Oxford insider. Just to clarify he is good friends with Niall McWilliams so info was kosher at the time.
    Then Friday meeting happened and no agreement. Changes things

• @JohnnyAllAlone said:
    @Malone It was I that posted about the info from the Oxford insider. Just to clarify he is good friends with Niall McWilliams so info was kosher at the time.

I think part of the problem is with the "inside info"
    Is that clubs themselves are, suspect Oxford actually convinced themselves that their was going to be accepted

• @Username said:

@JohnnyAllAlone said:
    @Malone It was I that posted about the info from the Oxford insider. Just to clarify he is good friends with Niall McWilliams so info was kosher at the time.

Is that clubs themselves are, suspect Oxford actually convinced themselves that their was going to be accepted

Clubs clearly haven't come up with anything agreeable so any insider info is probably out of date by the time it gets here even if it was right originally

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Username said:

@JohnnyAllAlone said:

Clubs clearly haven't come up with anything agreeable so any insider info is probably out of date by the time it gets here even if it was right originally

But surely it was never any sort of given that 3rd would go straight up as itd need voting through. Unless anyone had consulted all 23 clubs

• Could we add Troy Deeney to Macathony's target list?

Troy Deeney: Watford captain says he will not return to training - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52721397

• Would that be Troy Deeney, captain of a club that would survive in the Premier on GD if PPG early finish were applied............

Far more interested in hearing what Lincoln say or Southampton are thinking.

• edited May 2020

No, it's Troy Deeney who doesn't want to put his baby who had breathing difficulties at risk from a disease which disproportionately affects BAME people.

• @DevC said:
    Would that be Troy Deeney, captain of a club that would survive in the Premier on GD if PPG early finish were applied............

Dreadful stuff

• call me an old cynic but I wonder if Deeney would be doing the same if Watford had only beaten Liverpool by one goal.

• edited May 2020

@DevC said:
    Would that be Troy Deeney, captain of a club that would survive in the Premier on GD if PPG early finish were applied............

I'm sure there's a word for it, but those who themselves only think of themselves, find it hard to imagine that others aren't being similarly selfish.

I posed this elsewhere, if Macanthony et al truly believe that others are making up the financial and health risks, then they shouldn't have an issue with putting their own health or financial security on the line as security? They're just making it up so they don't get relegated after all

Play on with league 1, if any player/family/ staff get seriously ill or die from Covid, then they can seek retribution eye for an eye from one of the 6 that forced them.

If any club folds due to extra losses incurred in being forced to play on, they can immediately reenter the league in place of one of the 6 who forced them out.

The reality is they know that the risks are there, they just don't care

• @Username said:

@DevC said:

I'm sure there's a word for it, but those who themselves only think of themselves, find it hard to imagine that others aren't being similarly selfish.

Could narcissistic be the word you are looking for?

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52726278

It's absurd they're even thinking about it.

Absolute credit to Troy Deeney speaking out about it

• We all remember little bits of flu in the past that killed the NHS staff treating it, don't we?
    'Course we do and it didn't do us any harm. I haven't got it and more people die poking a fork in a toaster every year - probably - look it up. It's all just a bit of silliness that if we avoid Chinese 5G broadband we can, with British grit, malaria tablets, a dettol mouthwash and a little bit of determination just sail through without all these unpatriotic moaning minnies worried about a little cough going on and on about R numbers, spikes and why have Johnny Foreigner done better at handling it than us.

• @eric_plant said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52726278

It's absurd they're even thinking about it.

Absolute credit to Troy Deeney speaking out about it

Another 545 deaths today and the Premier League are still pushing to restart with our clown of a Prime Minister backing the plans. Utter madness.

I think Deeney made a very succinct point (for a footballer anyway) questioning why he can't get a haircut until July at the earliest but is expected to spend 90 minutes twice a week, getting close and personal to 11 opposition players on a football pitch.

• Wimbledon asking fans not to claim refunds for season tickets, this sort of thing rather than chasing unlikely promotions is likely to be the grim reality for most of our division.