Skip to content

BBC article: EFL: 'Leagues One & Two clubs accept season over - so what happens next'

Comments

• Bit worrying the Championship appear to have an imbalance of power over Leagues 1 and 2. Might it be in their interests to make decisions likely to send some lower teams out of business? Less teams to share football revenues.

• @mooneyman said:
    Bit worrying the Championship appear to have an imbalance of power over Leagues 1 and 2. Might it be in their interests to make decisions likely to send some lower teams out of business? Less teams to share football revenues.

Interesting - maybe a theory for the forum that must not be named? ;-)

• @mooneyman said:
    Bit worrying the Championship appear to have an imbalance of power over Leagues 1 and 2. Might it be in their interests to make decisions likely to send some lower teams out of business? Less teams to share football revenues.

Would be a pretty dopey way of them looking at it. Unless they think they'll get all their future players from their own academies or from premier hand downs.

• Sorry, I didn't realise every owner/administrator of a Championship side was intelligent!

• If cherry picking a successful run to be put into the promotion mix as Peterborough are doing, 7 wins in the last 9 games but at the same time no more than a run of six games without defeat at any time during the season, then why can't other clubs try the same. Interestingly at no other point during the season have Peterborough gone more that six games before being beaten. So can others cherry pick their successful runs at any stage of the season, for example, Oxford, their best run was 11 games (25 points) before succumbing to defeat and the Wanderers best was a run of 12 games accruing 28 points. PPG anyone?

• @HuwJanus said:
    If cherry picking a successful run to be put into the promotion mix as Peterborough are doing, 7 wins in the last 9 games but at the same time no more than a run of six games without defeat at any time during the season, then why can't other clubs try the same. Interestingly at no other point during the season have Peterborough gone more that six games before being beaten. So can others cherry pick their successful runs at any stage of the season, for example, Oxford, their best run was 11 games (25 points) before succumbing to defeat and the Wanderers best was a run of 12 games accruing 28 points. PPG anyone?

They would have been absolute shoe ins for the play offs, which we certainly couldn't say about ourselves.
    We'd stopped getting points away from home for about 3months, and faced 6 of the 10 away, and Oxford and Rotherham at home.

Playoffs for us won't be a bad result at all.

• Got it on relatively good authority that League One clubs have now come to an agreement on how to finish the season, and it's a bit of a crowd pleaser.

1) Points per game (PPG) - non-weighted, which has us finishing 3rd thanks to our game in hand.
    2) An 8 team playoff contested between 3rd to 10th.

• QF - 1) 3rd vs 10th, 2) 4th vs 9th, 3) 5th vs 8th, 4) 6th vs 7th
    • SF - 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3
    • Final

Presumably one legged affairs, played at a neutral venue(s).

So that would be quarter finals of:
    1) Wycombe vs Gillingham
    2) Oxford vs Doncaster
    3) Portsmouth vs Sunderland (oof!)
    4) Fleetwood vs Peterborough

• What an awful wind up

• No wind up, Righty! I guess we will see if my hearsay is true in due course.

• edited May 2020

So Ipswich have gone from being a member of the gang of six who want to play on because they think they've got a chance of promotion but will just happily let this happen?

• Out-voted perhaps? Not sure they have a very strong claim to a promotion shot in 11th (nee 10th) following the application of PPG.

• edited May 2020

Would seem odd for a guy without a post in 6months to come in with such an intricate plan like that if there's nothing in it.

But then wasn't a more regular poster saying his Oxford "Insider" has basically congratulated us, and basically said book up Norwich away already?

How the heck Gillingham can get into the picture I do not know though.
    Imagine if they went up when they're currently 11th!

• edited May 2020

There hasn't been a vote yet, not due until after the EFL Board meeting on Wednesday. If this happens then we can say goodbye to any sporting integrity.

• While it at least has the pro of it being settled on the pitch, how on earth it'd be extended as deep as 10th is truly inexplicable.
    Surprised they don't scrape it down to 11th to let Ipswich in.

And Rotherham would be exceptionally fortunate to be gifted a promotion when they hold such a skimpy lead over loads of teams, and were surely never seeing that through.

• edited May 2020

I'm tempted to say I'd rather stay in League One than compete in that farce if it happens, but it would feel like letting the big clubs win either way.

• Yeah if that's true we should keep our dignity and have nothing to do with it

• edited May 2020

That's definitely not true.

If the top half can all go for promotion, Tranmere can just as easily argue the bottom half could still get relegated and you'd need a relegation play off too, then we're back to the original issue of playing games.

Any "new" play off system would be ridiculous and we shouldn't take part out of principle if it's simply because the big clubs are shouting loudest

• @leeronhagg said:
    Out-voted perhaps? Not sure they have a very strong claim to a promotion shot in 11th (nee 10th) following the application of PPG.

Anyone remember Lee Hagger ?
    Might explain this a bit.

• Just how can the EFL apply different rules to L1 & L2? I keep saying it but it's time for the EFL to grow a pair and tell the "big six" to sit down & shut up.

If the Big Six think they can survive without the rest of us, then form a break away league on their own & see how many season tickets they sell!

• All these ‘creative’ ideas / solution come out of the same basket case as the 5G Covid-19 conspiracy loons.

• @ChasHarps said:

@leeronhagg said:
    Out-voted perhaps? Not sure they have a very strong claim to a promotion shot in 11th (nee 10th) following the application of PPG.

Anyone remember Lee Hagger ?
    Might explain this a bit.

Oh yeah - that guy who posted pretty much every day for 10 years. What a one off troll that guy was.

• I always remember Lee "I chanted Lambert Out at Stockport" Hagger from the old Gasroom. One of my favourite posters - hope you're doing well @leeronhagg

On a similar note I wonder what happened to johnboy1 (sic). He seemed a decent lad too.

• @leeronhagg said:
    No wind up, Righty! I guess we will see if my hearsay is true in due course.

I'm calling bull for the initial post and the need to defend it as you did.

'Relatively good authority ' to 'hearsay' in five minutes flat. At least stick to your story

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Just how can the EFL apply different rules to L1 & L2? I keep saying it but it's time for the EFL to grow a pair and tell the "big six" to sit down & shut up.

If the Big Six think they can survive without the rest of us, then form a break away league on their own & see how many season tickets they sell!

It's crazy, but from what I understand not all divisions have to be settled via the same method. What I want to know is if the EFL decide what options actually get to the voting stage - can they just take proposals off the table?

• Haha, those were the days! Thanks mate.

I once gave JohnBoy a lift to Port Vale (when we would have been promoted had we won, but we drew). Broke down on the way home - ended up being towed back to Wycombe, and played Pro Evo all evening. Can confirm he was a decent chap.

I don't agree with the proposal either by the way, just passing on what I heard.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Just how can the EFL apply different rules to L1 & L2? I keep saying it but it's time for the EFL to grow a pair and tell the "big six" to sit down & shut up.

It's crazy, but from what I understand not all divisions have to be settled via the same method. What I want to know is if the EFL decide what options actually get to the voting stage - can they just take proposals off the table?

My understanding was that each league can propose their preferred solution, but the final decision needs to be ratified by the EFL as whole, would they seriously use two separate methods? I can't see it, it's just buying your way into promotion contention.

• I might have to have a read of their regulations

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@leeronhagg said:
    No wind up, Righty! I guess we will see if my hearsay is true in due course.

I'm calling bull for the initial post and the need to defend it as you did.

'Relatively good authority ' to 'hearsay' in five minutes flat. At least stick to your story

Hey hey, calm down! I know you get a lot of WUM'ers on here.

This news has come from a player who was advised today by his manager (relatively good authority). I had it forwarded to me by a friend (hearsay).

I'm as intrigued as anyone how this will unfold. Just thought what I had heard might be of interest, when there is so little football news about.

Some of you guys sound like you've got a little upset by rival club fans posting on here recently - either that or the gasroom mk2 really is no friendlier than it's predecessor.

• On the one hand, I understand the problem with how bunched all the teams were. But at some point, you have to say "tough luck" to somebody. I don't hate it quite as much as everyone else though, as there was not that much to choose between all of the teams involved.

That all being said, my main wish has really been that we would officially come 3rd, as it makes this the highest ever finish, no matter what happens in the playoffs.

• One other thing: If they cannot complete the playoffs after the first round, but we were knocked out, do we go up in 3rd? That is a problem they may not have thought through.