Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• Promotion on merit sounds interesting.
    How would that work if not by ppg of either version?

• @Malone said:

Promotion on merit sounds interesting.

Either way we ain't going up. Still, the worse that can happen is we play another season in League One, once football returns.

I'm ok with that.

• My view is they will try to take the course of least resistance, a result that upsets the fewest, I doubt that PPG alone will be used as a small club could go up, Coventry and Rotherham are nailed on, if a 3rd team is promoted I cannot see a way that 6 other teams are not going to look to the law courts for a result that suits them. No relegation is my prediction.
    I just hope they resolve it tomorrow and not drag it out any longer.

• edited May 2020

Sounds like it won't be sorted out until Friday at the earliest. If they really do go with weighted PPG and promote three, I think we'd be well within our rights to challenge the decision. What "promotion on merit" means is anyone's guess.

• @Stewie63 said:

@Malone said:

Either way we ain't going up. Still, the worse that can happen is we play another season in League One, once football returns.

I'm ok with that.

Hopefully this is the Southend moment of L1, where it was not the right time to go up, and we see that clearly when we finally do.

• @Malone said:

From the article it’s

The points-per-game method would likely be weighted with home and away results rewarded differently, while 'promotion on merit' would see two clubs in League One and three in League Two (those currently in automatic places) get promoted, but no relegation. However, this option is dependant on a solution being agreed with the Championship.

• @Manboobs said:

@Malone said:

From the article it’s

The points-per-game method would likely be weighted with home and away results rewarded differently, while 'promotion on merit' would see two clubs in League One and three in League Two (those currently in automatic places) get promoted, but no relegation. However, this option is dependant on a solution being agreed with the Championship.

The weighted points per game solution has only appeared in articles that were re-hashes of one Athletic article that got a fair bit of traction for a few days before the rumours ours went back to standard PPG, which is also when the Oxford boss decided to make a statement that the league needs to be finished.

I am cynical, but it looks like a club knowing the decision is close and desperately trying to get a decision in their favour

• @Malone said:

Farcical.

Odd heading too, "play now or risk no football until next year".

Bizarre logic.

Think they mean play right now exactly as we tell you or it'll be many months before you see a win bonus and lots of you will be released.

Weighted PPG would definitely seem unfair as points are points wherever you get them. It makes more sense to weight against league position as technically depriving teams around you of points in a "six pointer" does help. Sounds like two up only to passify some other teams higher up will happen and that's probably worse. I can see why a team in 3rd might have a claim to go up ahead of us however spurious but a team who were crap all season and finish 22nd or even 24th have no more right to that place. If Southend don't go down that is a bloody joke.

• Its certainly a good thread for distracting people in the absence of actual games to dissect, but I'm starting to sense its all rather academic. Does anybody actually still believe there will be 92 full-time teams in England by the 21-22 season? Survival is probably a bigger issue than what division you are in. Its not inconceivable that a dozen or so clubs could disappear.

• @Baldric said:
    Its certainly a good thread for distracting people in the absence of actual games to dissect, but I'm starting to sense its all rather academic. Does anybody actually still believe there will be 92 full-time teams in England by the 21-22 season? Survival is probably a bigger issue than what division you are in. Its not inconceivable that a dozen or so clubs could disappear.

In real emergency times the powers that be step in.
    We've seen that with a tory government dishing out money to millions of workers through furlough.

If there is a real risk of loads of clubs going bust the FA will have to dip into that slush fund of theirs and support clubs.

• Don't you people read the news? The people's pandemic is almost over. We can all go to footy for our 'mental health' before long and the feds cant stop.us!

• PL clubs have to disinfect their training pitches. What is that going to do other than kill the grass?

• The levels of ignorance, and the political pandering to it, is going to kill 10,000s.

The ironic thing is it's largely because of impatience for a return to normality (and accepting some people "are going to die" whatever ) , which is understandable.

When your impatience is actually going to mean that you're going to have to spend even more time in lockdown, just further down the line when there's a second peak, it just beggars belief that so many people still wilfully make things up, deliberately misrepresent things and straight up lie to try and get their way

• We're also quickly becoming the laughing stock / pity party of Europe.

Even Greece with its past decade of economic turmoil, has managed significantly better than us

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/greeks-marvel-at-britains-covid-chaos-as-their-lockdown-lifts-after-150-deaths

• Greece have always had the top medical advisors going back to Hippocrates!

• Laughing stock?? show me anyone who's laughing ? arsehole

• @RogertheBandito said:
    Laughing stock?? show me anyone who's laughing ? arsehole

I was referring to the response being embarrassingly bad, clearly not laughing at people suffering.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/12/uk-takes-a-pasting-from-worlds-press-over-coronavirus

Plenty more examples too, a large number of my friends live abroad and the outside view of our govt response isn't a million miles away from the disdain most of the UK shows Trump.

Apologies if you still find it offensive even with that context...

• Without any doubt the only people who can have any idea that the UK response to this disaster has been a "success" are Boris and his spin doctors.

• Well Said Gareth

• edited May 2020

@johnthehair said:
    Well Said Gareth

As always he came across very well, didn't bite when offered the chance to "back" a solution which would have inevitably been hashed into a headline either.

He's a class act, wish he was PM as well

• Like @DevC i tried to put party politics aside for this crisis, and indeed applauded some early policy decisions on furloughing etc. More and more though I can’t help but draw the conclusion that we are being governed by a second rate PR firm.

• I always try to put party politics to the side, but the problem is the Tories keep being Tories.

• Congratulations to.our glorious leader and his jolly band of virus busters. Now if they can only apply the same sort of organisational and communications skills to brexit...exciting times lie ahead!!

• edited May 2020

@Wendoverman said:
    Congratulations to.our glorious leader and his jolly band of virus busters. Now if they can only apply the same sort of organisational and communications skills to brexit...exciting times lie ahead!!

It's quite stark how much of a correlation there is between staunch brexit support and anti -lockdown /conspiracy theory based opinions.

(only anecdotally admittedly)

Edit: having done a little digging and looking on some of the content creating Brexit pages which a lot of these people follow, it's no wonder, most are pumping out conspiracy theories at worst and blind support for Boris at best. When a huge percentage of those have been proven to be owned and curated with the express purpose of damaging the UK, it's more than worrying

Unfortunately for them and everyone else in the country, the fruits of their lies won't be able to be kicked down the road like Brexit, they'll be counted in lives. Without enormous censorship and education I can't see how it can be stopped

• Please get a grip. We need to get back to work - it’s nothing to do with Brexit. Plenty of virologists globally support the PM’s initial stance.

• ‘Let’s just do it and be legends’.

• @Onlooker said:
    Please get a grip. We need to get back to work - it’s nothing to do with Brexit. Plenty of virologists globally support the PM’s initial stance.

Which one? He has several.

• I know plenty disagree (including Imperial College) but I was referring to herd immunity.

• @Onlooker said:
    I know plenty disagree (including Imperial College) but I was referring to herd immunity.

Ah, the one he and several members of his team denied was ever the plan.