Skip to content

The You Choose Cup - 1st Semi Final: Brentford v QPR

Well, it has taken 28 days, but I feel we are really down to the meat of the matter now. Two London teams with strong connections to Wycombe, and two clubs who I thought might meet in the final. Instead, it is a semi, for the bragging rights of London.

Poll not found

Comments

• Whoever wins this likely to be champions I’d say.

• Should've been the final really, never mind.

• It was pretty clear Brentford were winning the whole thing from their first tie

• Really? I have zero feelings about either of these clubs, either positive or negative. This is the blandest tie since that other one that I didn't bother voting in.

• Gaz wont be happy about this

• Has to be Brentford. (Until next season) they have a pub at every corner of the ground for goodness sake, how can they not be champions.

• @drcongo said:
      Really? I have zero feelings about either of these clubs, either positive or negative. This is the blandest tie since that other one that I didn't bother voting in.

Who would your winner have been out of interest? Would it have even been a current Football League club?

• QPR for me, my dad used to take me every home game when I lived in London. Allegiance changed when I lived in this area & discovered WWFC some 28 years ago.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
      QPR for me, my dad used to take me every home game when I lived in London. Allegiance changed when I lived in this area & discovered WWFC some 28 years ago.

Very similar for me. Was brought up on QPR until my mid teens when I had the freedom to go and watch my local team. I had a passion for both through the nineties but had a season ticket at AP while living in Hampshire.

As we came up from non league obscurity the R's floundered and the two sides met for the first time in August 2001. A full house saw my team win 1-0 and the rest is banished to history.

I voted Brentford!

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@drcongo said:
      Really? I have zero feelings about either of these clubs, either positive or negative. This is the blandest tie since that other one that I didn't bother voting in.

Who would your winner have been out of interest? Would it have even been a current Football League club?

I rather like quite a lot of football league clubs. Usually down to how good natured their fans are and how welcome they make you feel in their local boozer after you've just beaten them. On those criteria, I'd have picked Bradford above any of the others where the fans are always great. Doncaster as a club do an exceptional job of making sure away fans enjoy their day. Wednesday I like just for the sheer number of their fans who congratulated us on promotion, and some I know even went to Wembley to cheer for us against Southend. I could go on, I'm not sure what you were after really.

• @wwfcblue said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
      QPR for me, my dad used to take me every home game when I lived in London. Allegiance changed when I lived in this area & discovered WWFC some 28 years ago.

Very similar for me. Was brought up on QPR until my mid teens when I had the freedom to go and watch my local team. I had a passion for both through the nineties but had a season ticket at AP while living in Hampshire.

As we came up from non league obscurity the R's floundered and the two sides met for the first time in August 2001. A full house saw my team win 1-0 and the rest is banished to history.

I voted Brentford!

late 60's, 70's & very early 80's for me. Thomas twins, Big Bob Hazel, Mike Keen, Don Givens, Stan Bowles, Terry Mancini, Clive Allen, Martyn Busby, Phil Parkes, John Byrne, Dave Clement, Les Ferdinand, Terry Fenwick, Gerry Francis, Ian Gillard, Tony Hazel, John Hollins, Mark Lazarus, Don Mason & Rodney Marsh to name some. Witnessed many a good player in the hoops of QPR.

• @drcongo said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@drcongo said:

I rather like quite a lot of football league clubs. Usually down to how good natured their fans are and how welcome they make you feel in their local boozer after you've just beaten them. On those criteria, I'd have picked Bradford above any of the others where the fans are always great. Doncaster as a club do an exceptional job of making sure away fans enjoy their day. Wednesday I like just for the sheer number of their fans who congratulated us on promotion, and some I know even went to Wembley to cheer for us against Southend. I could go on, I'm not sure what you were after really.

Thanks and really interesting.

• Does anyone else remember us playing QPR in a pre season testimonial for a QPR player in the early 80's (or maybe earlier)?

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@wwfcblue said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

I voted Brentford!

late 60's, 70's & very early 80's for me. Thomas twins, Big Bob Hazel, Mike Keen, Don Givens, Stan Bowles, Terry Mancini, Clive Allen, Martyn Busby, Phil Parkes, John Byrne, Dave Clement, Les Ferdinand, Terry Fenwick, Gerry Francis, Ian Gillard, Tony Hazel, John Hollins, Mark Lazarus, Don Mason & Rodney Marsh to name some. Witnessed many a good player in the hoops of QPR.

Paul Goddard was my favourite before he left for West Ham. My Dad was not amused.

They had a great team in the late 70’s and early 80’s when I was still in shorts.

• I agree with @drcongo. A lot of my feelings towards other clubs is based on how their fans are and the atmosphere (and quality of beer) in the pubs around the ground before and after. A lot of northern clubs fare well because of that although of course there is no real history or rivalry with any of them to sour that atmosphere.

For what it’s worth Reading score the worst of all in my book. Soulless club, soulless stadium, soulless pubs, soulless fans and soulless town

• @bookertease said:
      I agree with @drcongo. A lot of my feelings towards other clubs is based on how their fans are and the atmosphere (and quality of beer) in the pubs around the ground before and after. A lot of northern clubs fare well because of that although of course there is no real history or rivalry with any of them to sour that atmosphere.

For what it’s worth Reading score the worst of all in my book. Soulless club, soulless stadium, soulless pubs, soulless fans and soulless town

Though it’s miles nicer than Wycombe. Better shops, better pubs, better ground and better town.

• @wwfcblue said:

Paul Goddard was my favourite before he left for West Ham. My Dad was not amused.

They had a great team in the late 70’s and early 80’s when I was still in shorts.

Paul Goddard lived in High Wycombe for a time didn't he?

• @bookertease said:

About 6 years ago I had to stay the night in Reading after an all day meeting there. The town centre drinking that evening... I still need a support group.

• @wwfcblue said:

@bookertease said:
      I agree with @drcongo. A lot of my feelings towards other clubs is based on how their fans are and the atmosphere (and quality of beer) in the pubs around the ground before and after. A lot of northern clubs fare well because of that although of course there is no real history or rivalry with any of them to sour that atmosphere.

Though it’s miles nicer than Wycombe. Better shops, better pubs, better ground and better town.

It must have changed then. I lived there for 5 years - although Wycombe town centre has definitely gone downhill so you may br right (doubt it’s developed a soul yet though)

• Having said Brentford were clearly going to win the whole thing from day 1, personally they're no especially favoured team of mine.

But then I hold no particular malice to Reading which a lot seem to.

• I thought Brentford had to be the favourites coming in to the semis, but I did not expect them to hammer QPR so thoroughly. I wonder if the opposition will put up more of a fight in the final (I am assuming Sheffield Wednesday, but you never know).

• Come on you reds

• Calling this one early. Brentford get their lowest score to date....but it is still two thirds of the vote. On to the final!