Skip to content

The You Choose Cup - Round of 16 Match 8: Blackburn v Carlisle

LAST MATCH BEFORE THE QUARTER-FINAL DRAW!!! And...that might be the only exciting thing about it. It's hard not to see the winner of this being cannon-fodder as soon as they run into one of the favourites.

Poll not found

Comments

• Carlisle, the team that tried to stop the game in our play-off away leg by fighting with each other and attacking our players before hurling rocks and sticks at the Wycombe fans. Against Blackburn, the team that brought football to the working classes and still has "Arte Et Labore" on the club badge.

I'll be disgusted if Carlisle win this.

• Anyone voting for Carlisle surely couldn't have been there that day.

One of the few times that I've genuinely feared for my safety watching Wycombe.

The following season several of their followers, including one who was arrested at the 2nd leg Wycombe for running on the pitch to confront Wycombe supporters after we'd taken the lead, were involved in the awful scenes at the abandoned Ireland v England game at Lansdowne Rd

• No Wycombe connection to ponder on for me...I just prefer Blackburn.

• @drcongo said:
      Carlisle, the team that tried to stop the game in our play-off away leg by fighting with each other and attacking our players before hurling rocks and sticks at the Wycombe fans. Against Blackburn, the team that brought football to the working classes and still has "Arte Et Labore" on the club badge.

I'll be disgusted if Carlisle win this.

I voted Carlisle as that day is one of my major Wycombe memories. A top drawer performance and I can still see Simon Garner wheeling away after scoring oblivious to the pitch invasion going on behind him.

My memory of what kicked this off was a row with stewards over a massive flag blocking some fans views and other wanting the flag over their heads. I don't remember them being at all botheres by the Wycombe fans in the corner nearest to them. I must have also missed the rock throwing. I managed the match and the journey back to the car without anything going on with a massive smile on my face.

I do remember a Wycombe player tackling one fan to the ground in the centre circle once the goal celebration had finished. I also remember a self proclaimed England super hooligan doing a solo pitch invasion in the second leg.

• I must have also missed the rock throwing.

After the game. A significant number of us chased up the street under fire. I'm guessing @eric_plant was one of those too.

I do remember a Wycombe player tackling one fan to the ground in the centre circle once the goal celebration had finished

There were several pitch invasions as I recall it. Including one fan sucker punching Paul Hyde from behind.

• @drcongo said:

I must have also missed the rock throwing.

After the game. A significant number of us chased up the street under fire. I'm guessing @eric_plant was one of those too.

I do remember a Wycombe player tackling one fan to the ground in the centre circle once the goal celebration had finished

There were several pitch invasions as I recall it. Including one fan sucker punching Paul Hyde from behind.

I must have parked my car the other way. Missed all that.

• It was very frightening, and wasn't over even when we got to the car. We were identified as Wycombe fans in stationary traffic and came under fire again. Big lumps literally punching and kicking the car as we sat in it. I was pretty young at the time and it was not nice.

Met several Wycombe fans at the service station on the way home with the dents in their cars to show they'd experienced similar.

• My southend supporting colleague's partner recalls him taking her to a Carlisle game early in their relationship...at which a fan was stabbed in the the town. You have to make your own entertainment up there it seems.

• If I remember rightly a PNE flag went up in the Wycombe section, at Carlisle, that went down well with the locals. One of the Carlise pitch invaders biting a policeman's calf on the touchline nearest us, was quite galling.
      The ref seemed to blow up early in that second half.

• Never had any issues when I've been there but the trouble has been well documented. Therefore, I went for Blackburn, my only visit there eight years to this day when someone smuggled in a live chicken and put it on the pitch.

• Rumour had it that the security firm Carlisle used to steward the match was Preston based and actually contained several members of the PNE hooligan firm, which was obviously a recipe for disaster

However, they still went after Wycombe fans who had no interest in trouble (so much for that bullshit hooligan code of conduct eh? The only people that believe that are gullible youngsters who didn't experience the bad old days).

• @ChasHarps said:
      If I remember rightly a PNE flag went up in the Wycombe section, at Carlisle, that went down well with the locals. One of the Carlise pitch invaders biting a policeman's calf on the touchline nearest us, was quite galling.
      The ref seemed to blow up early in that second half.

As I remember, I think he went round and told the Wycombe players to get over near the tunnel as well before he blew so they could all peg it

• Just remember the Carlisle stewards fighting amongst themselves in the open-ended terrace, then after the game getting away pretty sharpish over the field which led to the little estate where our car was parked, all the time aware of a bunch of their hooligans in hot pursuit. Didn't spoil the day though, what a great result and performance that was.

• This is going to be tight... could be the first time @Shev vote has counted !

• VOTE BLACKBURN

• @HolmerBlue said:
      This is going to be tight... could be the first time @Shev vote has counted !

I went Blackburn, so they need the outright win! Very surprised at Carlisle, who won their group with lowest percentage.

• I'm going for Blackburn cos the Doc says I should!!!

• Carlisle just for the memories of that first season, plus being the angry minority's first line of "proper fandom", "see you at Carlisle?"

Blackburn will always be the first sugardaddy team from my era, so couldn't go for them.

• The winner of this should get crushed in their QF, either way. It is a quirk of lack of seeding that sone weaker teams will make a run. But there should be strong semis no matter what.

• The most voted-for match of the round was also incredibly close. I'm not expecting Carlisle to do much, but they pull this one out.

• Can we not demand a recount? 8-)

• @AlanCecil said:
      Can we not demand a recount? 8-)

Ha ha - Carlisle would still go through anyway, as I voted Blackburn, so my vote counts as a half vote for tiebreaking purposes.