Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• I’d be more inclined to trust things the South Korean government says than the British government.

• The EFL are just waiting for Donald Trump to tell them it's all gone away.

• @Vincey said:

If we were to go up on PPG it has to be a good time to go up to the championship if no ones going down. You could argue that the three that get promoted would be part of a mini league at the bottom of the championship with teams that should have been relegated. Luton, Barnsley and Wigan etc meaning that you have to have a better chance of surviving than you normally would, even if the number of relegated teams is increased to even out the leagues again.

Thinking this through, I'm not sure it is any advantage, as if the Premier league has to reduce from 23 to 20, they'd need to do 6 teams down instead of 3.
    Meaning surely the championship would also need to do 6 instead of 3.

Meaning in effect we'd need to find 6 crapper teams than us in the championship to stay up. Which would be an ask, unless Gareth does some magnificent work.

• edited May 2020

Could they even it out over a few seasons instead of just in one hit?

• To be honest, if we go up on PPG I will probably make a solemn speech on here about how it does not feel right. Then I will get up from my computer, paint my face Oxford and Cambridge blue, and run around whooping and swigging champagne.

• I'd have thought prem would do 4 down 3 up year one, 4 down 2 up year two.
    lower down leagues, sadly it might depend on how many and which clubs failed. It seems unlikely all 91 will make it through.
    23 teams (46 matchdays) for prem seems an ask in a season that might start late and has a fixed end date due to Euros - no cups?

• @Malone said:
    @Vincey said:

If we were to go up on PPG it has to be a good time to go up to the championship if no ones going down. You could argue that the three that get promoted would be part of a mini league at the bottom of the championship with teams that should have been relegated. Luton, Barnsley and Wigan etc meaning that you have to have a better chance of surviving than you normally would, even if the number of relegated teams is increased to even out the leagues again.

Thinking this through, I'm not sure it is any advantage, as if the Premier league has to reduce from 23 to 20, they'd need to do 6 teams down instead of 3.

Meaning in effect we'd need to find 6 crapper teams than us in the championship to stay up. Which would be an ask, unless Gareth does some magnificent work.

I can’t see them relegating 6 in one go.

Let’s see what happens

• @Vincey said:

@Malone said:
    @Vincey said:

Let’s see what happens

The premier? Or the championship?
    Or both?

• @Malone said:

@Vincey said:

@Malone said:
    @Vincey said:

Let’s see what happens

Or both?

Championship.

They could just add one more relegation spot for the next three seasons.

• Or just wait for clubs to go bust?

• @Vincey said:

@Malone said:

@Vincey said:

@Malone said:
    @Vincey said:

Let’s see what happens

Or both?

Championship.

They could just add one more relegation spot for the next three seasons.

I would think, and this is dangerous, trying to second guess these maniacs, that they'd want to get things back to the usual structure as soon as possible.

You certainly can't see the Premier league having more than 20 for long. All talk of extra teams is for 1 season. So unless the championship is suddenly rocking 25-27 teams, then it has to filter down too.

• @aloysius said:
    @bookertease being right all the time is a heavy cross to bear but eventually you learn to live with it.

Not something I will ever have to worry about

• Parry adamant that the season will finish, although these letters seem quite desperate now. Premier League said to be the only division with a 'realistic' chance of finishing... https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/efl-letter-raises-hopes-leeds-united-will-complete-promotion-push-pitch-2674284

• They're certainly putting a brave face on it with all these adamant statements.

I wonder if promoting 3 teams from league 1 on PPG would need to go to a vote from league 1 clubs?
    We'd soon find out if we're more popular with clubs than we are their fans!!

• I would have thought they’d be glad to get rid of us so they don’t have to watch us every 18 weeks

• LX1LX1
    edited May 2020

@mooneyman said:

@Lloyd2084 said:
    There is no evidence so far that you cannot catch it more than once. If immunity does exist, then we don’t know how long it will last for.

The top scientist in South Korea said yesterday that you can't catch it twice. He states it has been proved that the tests identifying a second infection were faulty. Whether reliance on any South Korean advice is debatable, however they do seem to be one of the countries that have the virus under some sort of control.

anything is debatable. But why to you consider South Korean testing in particular debatable?

• A “top” WHO scientist on Marr this morning said that the apparent re-infections were the result of the tests registering dead cells as positive. Something like that. She also repudiated the suggestion that the virus could have been synthesised (ie modified in a laboratory). Any collusion between WHO and China is debatable I believe.

• edited May 2020

Latest BBC sport article suggests that the 3up none down proposal could have legs as shockingly prem clubs will be happy if none are relegated and going to 22 or 23 teams is possible

Premier League: More clubs open to using neutral venues if relegation removed - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52517532

• Liverpool are miles clear and will clearly win the league. If they take away relegation too, what’s the point of playing all the games?

• @DevC said:
    Liverpool are miles clear and will clearly win the league. If they take away relegation too, what’s the point of playing all the games?

Probably just to avoid paying back the TV money at this point.

I think these clubs really only want to avoid relegation so that they do not have to face the mighty Wycombe next season...

• Imagine bothering to play it out with no relegation. That truly would be pointless.

• Money unfortunately Dev. They won't lose so much on their Sky deal if games can be televised. Some teams may also think they can improve their league position hence more money.

• @Wendoverman said:. I expect restrictions will be lifted with a promise of testing (like the PPE) that will not materialise and there will be a lot of crossed fingers about the potential ramifications.
    What this will mean for footy I'm not sure.

As I said some time ago economic imperatives will lead to the end of the lockdown before any sort of vaccine is on tne horizon with a view that the majority will survive. Then it will just be a case of whether or not you trust the testing/app/British grit being peddled. Looking around aylesbury people are already bored (tvp largest numbers of fines for stupidity apparently) and starting to come out so those people will bite at the chance. As someone with two folks on those vulnerable letters in the house I will be very cautious for a long while. Im coming around to the view we will be lucky to be packed into a stadium before next year. Which i know is not important in the same way going to the flicks or having a meal in a restaurant is not important but its still sad!

• Can likely take away the fight for European places too, got to be a big chance foreign travel will be affected for a long time even if football returns.

It will just be a procession of exhibition matches for TV money

• @Username said:
    Can likely take away the fight for European places too, got to be a big chance foreign travel will be affected for a long time even if football returns.

It will just be a procession of exhibition matches for TV money

If the Premier league are stubborn enough to even suggest the farce of empty stadiums, neutral venues with no relegations, the foreign powers that be can certainly have European cup versions of the same.

• A clear winner in a very busy category. I present you the most stupid suggestion I have seen to date:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08c6gq4

• @StrongestTeam said:
    A clear winner in a very busy category. I present you the most stupid suggestion I have seen to date:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08c6gq4

The only one sillier - to play the games in China, was at least an April fool!

• We have a new contender in the battle for most stupid suggestion:

• By the time these clowns have finished, it'll be nothing like the sport we know and love.

Shorter games, neutral venues, no crowds, no relegation. Utterly nonsensical.

This is just top level though, there's no way leagues 1 & 2 are continuing with such nonsense.