Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Hi all. Hope everyone is safe.

So the French have ended the season and applied PPG. Might set a precedent?

Thoughts all?

Comments

• Interesting - we would miss out by a hair.

I may be looking at this simplistically, but could this be one of those rare situations for it to be better if we do not go up? I say this in anticipation of next season being BCD at best. If we go up, would not bonuses and raises become due which would make the club more difficult to keep running through the crisis?

• Also, imagine getting to the Championship then not actually being able to watch it. I don't want to go up if that's going to be the case.

• Playing behind closed doors in the Championship would even up the income (or lack of) somewhat though.

• That's ridiculous. How can you have promotion with no relegation.

Assuming the Premier League went along with that (unlikely) that would mean 23 teams in the Premier. League 1 would stay at 23 and League 1 would end up with 21.

• Yeah, I don't get that at all. Would Bolton get completely let off the hook?

• edited April 2020

It seems the powers that be have just jumped the gun. All this talk of opening up training grounds whilst most people can't leave the house unless it's necessary was stupid and tone deaf. Any idea of prioritising tests, or medical staff away from hospitals is obscene.

When it does return it's difficult to know if this could close the field or leave us worse off, planning for the championship but not being able to even sell season tickets, or any tickets won't be easy.

• Does anyone know how TV money is split in the Championship? I'm struggling to find a clear answer.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Yeah, I don't get that at all. Would Bolton get completely let off the hook?

There is no fair way of handling Bolton. Either they have no points deduction, which is exactly the same as having no punishment (guaranteed relegation) to begin with, OR they have -12 again, which means they may get relegated a season AFTER they should have, so it puts them a year even further back.

And what if we can't complete next season? The Bolton situation is really more of a mess than anything else in the entire four divisions, I think.

• I think Bolton have suffered enough over the last few years. Let them be.

• I disagree @Vincey. They were clearly given preferential treatment to Bury.

• @Shev said:
    Interesting - we would miss out by a hair.

I may be looking at this simplistically, but could this be one of those rare situations for it to be better if we do not go up? I say this in anticipation of next season being BCD at best. If we go up, would not bonuses and raises become due which would make the club more difficult to keep running through the crisis?

Would we not be promoted in 3rd?

• My preference would be to finish 3rd on PPG but with only the top two promoted (although I struggle to see how they can have any promotion without relegation and fear they will take the simple choice and void the season).

That would give us a grievance to whinge I’m here for the next 29 years (so keeping us all happy) whilst avoiding that horrible empty feeling of ‘celebrating’ a promotion into a league where there isn’t a cat in hells chance that the next seasons fixtures will be fulfilled.

I’m getting more like @aloysius every day. Poor lad/lass.

• If we were to go up on PPG it has to be a good time to go up to the championship if no ones going down. You could argue that the three that get promoted would be part of a mini league at the bottom of the championship with teams that should have been relegated. Luton, Barnsley and Wigan etc meaning that you have to have a better chance of surviving than you normally would, even if the number of relegated teams is increased to even out the leagues again.

• @DJWYC14 said:

@Shev said:
    Interesting - we would miss out by a hair.

Would we not be promoted in 3rd?

I think in France they did two up. I have that feeling that if they allow promotion, they will limit it. It will be interesting to see, though!

• @Shev said:
    I think in France they did two up. I have that feeling that if they allow promotion, they will limit it. It will be interesting to see, though!

The French ‘two up’ decision is probably because their play-offs also include the third-bottom team from Ligue 1. It’s messy enough as it is without demoting a side who could have survived twice (on points by the end of the season or in the play-offs). The proposed solution in Scotland relegates the ‘automatic’ places and protects the play-off team too, though they’re now looking at a possible temporary reorganisation to not relegate anyone. Based on the leaked info, it could be that England does something similar.

• @Vincey said:
    I think Bolton have suffered enough over the last few years. Let them be.

If they don't get relegated and don't start -12 again, they've totally got away with a massive stroke of luck.
    Even if they started with -12 they'll start with a proper squad and have a good chance still. Unlike last year where the first month or two were a write off with kids.

• @mooneyman said:
    I disagree @Vincey. They were clearly given preferential treatment to Bury.

Didn't Bolton in the end just have access to funds Bury didn't? Tend to agree with the above, their fans have had to watch kids getting thrashed by adults in games that probably didn't count for most of one season. Bury were owned by a string of chancers as clubs will be unless the rules get a massive revamp.

Btw does anyone know how the proposed Rugby League bail out would work and wether it could happen in lower league football, or do we all get written off because them at the top have money they have no intention of sharing.

• @Vincey said:
    If we were to go up on PPG it has to be a good time to go up to the championship if no ones going down. You could argue that the three that get promoted would be part of a mini league at the bottom of the championship with teams that should have been relegated. Luton, Barnsley and Wigan etc meaning that you have to have a better chance of surviving than you normally would, even if the number of relegated teams is increased to even out the leagues again.

Now that's a good take on it.

• @mooneyman said:
    That's ridiculous. How can you have promotion with no relegation.

Assuming the Premier League went along with that (unlikely) that would mean 23 teams in the Premier. League 1 would stay at 23 and League 1 would end up with 21.

It's felt quite farcical this year in league one with a team less. So to make all divisions odd numbers seems ludicrous.

To deem relegations "unfair" when teams like Norwich, Bolton and Stevenage are pretty clearly doing down, yet issuing promotions potentially on GD or a point margin is utter madness.

• I didn't properly clock that he says probably no fans until January 2021, but I guess we already assumed as much anyway.

• @bookertease being right all the time is a heavy cross to bear but eventually you learn to live with it.

• The leaked audio from Rovers is potentiality huge, here's a YouTube upload

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=S81IiX1KqYg

If it's fake it's a well researched one.

This could be massive news for us, PPG would surely be the most likely method of deciding final outcomes. Yes it would be disappointing circumstances, but promotion could financially secure us at a time when football is in real trouble.

A few people have said about there being no relegations and how or why that could work

1) Proposals have to be voted on by members clubs, much easier to pass things where no one loses immediately

2) The prem look hell bent on trying to finish whatever happens, or however long it takes - the EFL simply can't do that so it's not unlikely that the prem will still be "finishing" this season as the EFL plans to start the next. Will the premier league clubs vote against not having relegation for a year to "help the EFL finish", not a chance

3) With no European or international games likely next season, and no crowds for large parts, the prem will want up maximise TV revenue, more teams = more games which can now all be televised.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we're going up

• I suspect economic imperatives will fuel the end of lock down before long. No country can survive financially on a lock-down until we have a vaccine...which could be 18 months away. They will make a decision to lift restrictions on all but those most in danger with a view that the majority of people will only get it mildly. I was watching a US scientist on the Bill Maher show the other night whose argument was...what's the point of being in lockdown and flattening the curve when it means no-one at all is exposed to the virus, therefore we get no immunity and as soon as any lock-down restrictions are lifted cases shoot up again. (I know it's the herd immunity thing...) The worrying thing is lifting restrictions would depend on widespread and effective testing which requires widespread and effective government. I expect restrictions will be lifted with a promise of testing (like the PPE) that will not materialise and there will be a lot of crossed fingers about the potential ramifications.
    What this will mean for footy I'm not sure.

• There is no evidence so far that you cannot catch it more than once. If immunity does exist, then we don’t know how long it will last for.

• edited May 2020

@Lloyd2084 said:
    There is no evidence so far that you cannot catch it more than once. If immunity does exist, then we don’t know how long it will last for.

Very true. I'm not suggesting any of the above is good and correct...just a view on what I think will happen.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    There is no evidence so far that you cannot catch it more than once. If immunity does exist, then we don’t know how long it will last for.

The top scientist in South Korea said yesterday that you can't catch it twice. He states it has been proved that the tests identifying a second infection were faulty. Whether reliance on any South Korean advice is debatable, however they do seem to be one of the countries that have the virus under some sort of control.

• @mooneyman said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

The top scientist in South Korea said yesterday that you can't catch it twice. He states it has been proved that the tests identifying a second infection were faulty. Whether reliance on any South Korean advice is debatable, however they do seem to be one of the countries that have the virus under some sort of control.

The oldest cases of the virus are only 6 months clear so we can't know properly yet long term, but that's encouraging.

A lot of virus ' need continually updated vaccines to be effective for large sections of people

• Either way, none of this likely affects the decisions which need to be made on the next couple of weeks by the EFL.

I'm hoping for us to be promoted and a treatment or vaccine to be found to let me at least watch half a season of championship football!

• What we need to ease restrictions is a widespread, regular and effective testing regime that will protect the vulnerable but provide proper data for the rest of us (and the NHS/care homes/businesses, etc etc) on who has been infected, who has not and so on. I'm not holding my breath.