Skip to content

The You Choose Cup - Group N

13 groups down, 3 to go. Today it is the history of Preston up against the more recent success of Fleetwood, the first Welsh team in Newport, and the opposition for Bean's goal, Carlisle.

Poll not found

Comments

• One of the tougher choices. Went for Newport more for the old Newport rather than the new Newport

• Eurgh, this is a horrible group

I may abstain

• Carlisle for me. Got to love a club that still has terraced standing on three sides of the ground.

• Who would vote for Joey Barton?

• Good to see what might be a close race on this one.

I have always quite liked Preston for no reason I can think of whatsoever. Looks like they are heading for the door though.

• Agree with @eric_plant here.. Couldn't decide between Newport or Carlisle, went for Newport for no reason whatsoever

• Carlisle for me, just ahead of abstaining, as the measure of how far north anything is.

• Preston. Dave Carroll's goal and a great day out at Wembley in May '94.

• Crikey, over a quarter of a century ago! We played them more recently in the FA or League Cup (I’m no @ChasHarps) and I took a mate who once lived near and supported them. He enjoyed the game.
      I agree. Preston.

• A lot of these choices are quite tough, as there's very little that stands out as being worthy of a vote!

I went for Newport, as that was almost like our rebirth game after the dreadful near relegation season. Mawson's first game, a superb win, and we were off on an absolutely brilliant, and massively unexpected season.

• I’m not thinking straight. That first Football League game at Carlisle, on holiday in Keswick and a rare foray into football for mrs micra is one of my happiest memories. Mrs micra spent the whole game chatting to a policewoman at the top of what, from fast fading memory, was a grassy embankment.
      Would somebody be able to switch my vote from PNE to Carlisle?

• That was a wonderful weekend away, wasn't it, but the difference in attitude of a certain contingent of Carlisle fans between the first day of the season and our play-off win up there was quite something. From welcoming the plucky, romantic non-league newcomers, to attempting severe physical injury as we tried to get back to our cars.

• Carlisle for me...not only that game and that goal...but also because of the distances the fans have to cover to follow their team, and the small gates of away fans they must get die as a result of almost being Scottish...!

• I've been chased out of the ground at both Carlisle and Preston (play off semi and the "Hayrettin game") so it kind of rules both of them out for me

• Lots of memories from these four.

The first league game at Carlisle with a great Wycombe performance in the playoffs.

The last old Newport game in the conference. A mad 5-3 win

That Hayrettin goal at Preston. A genuine all time memory. Not forgetting the play off final

A Vardy inspired cup upset at non league Fleetwood.

Strangely three of those memories include elements of crowd trouble too.

I can still see Garner score at Carlisle and we all celebrated a pitch invasion went on between the players and us on the terrace. I'm voting Carlisle

• @eric_plant said:
      I've been chased out of the ground at both Carlisle and Preston (play off semi and the "Hayrettin game") so it kind of rules both of them out for me

Fair dos.

• As this is the closest group, I should note that I have to vote to see the other votes. I am only counting my vote as a half vote, so if there is a tie, the team I did not vote for wins. In this case I went Newport, so they would need to win outright from now on, whereas Carlisle now just need a tie.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
      That was a wonderful weekend away, wasn't it, but the difference in attitude of a certain contingent of Carlisle fans between the first day of the season and our play-off win up there was quite something. From welcoming the plucky, romantic non-league newcomers, to attempting severe physical injury as we tried to get back to our cars.

I had to properly leg it to the station under a volley of stones being chased by half a dozen fellas after that play-off game.

• Carlisle take a close group that, interestingly, garnered easily the most overall votes so far.

• Can’t believe Carlisle won that. They were fighting with each other and attacking our players before chasing us out the ground under a hail of missiles. They shouldn’t even have been allowed to enter.

• Newport all the way for me.

• Brilliant.

• GLC would have swung it

• Greater London Council?

• Goldie Looking Chain, the greatest rap group ever to come out of the valleys.

• Filthy version of the Baron Knights !!
      Not a patch on kunt and the gang.

• Gangsta Legendary Crisis

• @micra said:
      Greater London Council?

Unintentional genius.

• Au contraire mon ami. I am one of the few on here who remember that august but long defunct authority and I knew with absolute certainty that, whatever influence it once wielded, Welsh rappers were definitely immune. What I didn’t know (perhaps because the combination of my failing eyesight and the tiny typeface on this pesky iPhone prevented me from reading it) was that the excellent rapper guy was Golden Link Chain or whatever it was that @drcongo called him.

So, definitely not unintentional. Probably not quite genius either ! That ‘so’ designed to get @Cyclops going.

• @drcongo said:
      Goldie Looking Chain, the greatest rap group ever to come out of the valleys.

Possibly the only Welsh rap group to come out of the valleys ?