Skip to content

The You Choose Cup - Group K

On to Group K. Can Derby's Clough-inspired history overcome their recent shady overspending? Do we really have a mutual admiration society with Accrington, or is it overstated? Are Walsall one of those clubs with no outstanding characteristics, or do we secretly sympathize? And can Mansfield overcome involvement with Steve Evans?

Poll not found

Comments

• Mansfield - dislike their no matchday ticket sales for away fans policy - despite the ground being less than half-full
      Derby - yet another team in the championship with history, who can't believe it when they fail to get promoted again
      Accrington - one trip to ASFC, but didn't even get into the ground. Went up on the supporters coach 4-5 years ago when the match was postponed about 90 mins before kick-off.
      Walsall - featureless ground in unattractive location. However, a cheap and easy away day so they get my vote.

• I’d love to vote for Accrington, but it’s got to be Mansfield.

• Yep. Went mansfield. BWK reasoning as per above.

• Could never vote for Mansfield or any Notts team for their great betrayal to fellow miners in 1984.

• Somehow that's the first time I've ever seen Sir Colin's goal.

• Accrington for me.

Bicester Blue... I was at that game you mentioned which got called off about 1.30pm. The game had no chance of going ahead. I remember mike Newell taking a ball out and couldn't kick it for more than about 10 yards along the floor.

The referee that day I'm sure is officiating in the premier league now.

• Accrington for me - the club that wouldn't die.

• Mansfield - bland club from a bland town. But saved the FL existence of WWFC and very possibly the existence full stop. Surely entitled to progress at least one round in gratitude.

Can't say I warm to Accrington owner/chairman guy.

• Amazing our paths haven't really crossed that much with Derby but I'm voting for them.

Martin Taylor
      Michael Forsyth
      Jason Kavanagh
      Mark Stallard

• @drcongo said:
      Somehow that's the first time I've ever seen Sir Colin's goal.

What a video, see they managed to stay off the pitch that time.

Vaguely remember Mansfield under Evans being quite rugby and the owners being morons but could happily lose all these.

Fair point @Right_in_the_Middle can't think of much else

• Going Accrington for bloody mindedly still existing.

• Will always be grateful to Mansfield for that win at Rovers but surely Stanley are as close to spiritual kin as we get - small club punching well above their weight while being financially sensible and doing lots of great work in the community and getting local kids to support their local team. Pretty full on physical last time they were in town but generally under Coleman they've played good football and even though they seem to have the hoodoo over us at Adams Park, they're one of the few other league clubs I can genuinely feel affection for. And as an added bonus points they took Oxford's place in the league when they came up and they denied Luton the L2 title.

• @StrongestTeam said:
      Going Accrington for bloody mindedly still existing.

I've never really warmed to Accrington. Maybe it was the cold midweek beatings they've given us or just their owners random shoutings.
      I see them as a more up to date Crewe and getting credit that doesn't actually stack up on scrutiny.

• I've never quite got the Accrington love in I must admit

• My vote going to Accrington as a Nottinghamian I cannot bring myself to vote for Direby or Mansfield and Walsall is just...underwhelming. @ChasHarps I get where you are coming from but also remember there were lots of Notts miners who did not work and the strike tore up many communities and even families long after the strike was over.

• Outstanding burger at Stanley some years ago. It’s the little things that make the difference

• @Wendoverman said:
      My vote going to Accrington as a Nottinghamian I cannot bring myself to vote for Direby or Mansfield and Walsall is just...underwhelming. @ChasHarps I get where you are coming from but also remember there were lots of Notts miners who did not work and the strike tore up many communities and even families long after the strike was over.

Chas isn't really a shades of grey kind of guy

• edited April 2020

@eric_plant said:

@Wendoverman said:
      My vote going to Accrington as a Nottinghamian I cannot bring myself to vote for Direby or Mansfield and Walsall is just...underwhelming. @ChasHarps I get where you are coming from but also remember there were lots of Notts miners who did not work and the strike tore up many communities and even families long after the strike was over.

Chas isn't really a shades of grey kind of guy

I saw it as a youth at the time as the workers unfortunately being caught between two unbending ego-manics. There was a lot of fighting on our estate (as in council not my lands!)...Babbington Pit being on the edge of it. Anyway, Accrington for me.

• @Wendoverman said:

I understand your point, and their was some honourable Notts miners, who stood firm alongside their fellow NUM Members against the Tyrant Thatcher. But it was key point in the dispute, when a significant amount of Notts workers fell for her lies and took the bribe.
      As the papers released in 1984, showed all along it was Thatchers intent to destroy the Coal industry, Just as Arthur Scargill repeatedly told them.
      So dont have a lot of time for any Notts team, I'm afraid.

• Papers released in 2014. Oops typo

• Err the good people of High Wycombe regularly vote in that total imbecile Steve Baker so I’m not sure we’d do well in other clubs versions of this if they take the @ChasHarps approach.

• @ChasHarps said:
      Papers released in 2014. Oops typo

Look forward to discussing the COV-19 papers in 2050

• Calling this one early. Accrington take the most voted-for group (55) in style. Contender? Or beneficiary of a blander set of competitors?