Skip to content

What should happen to this season?

Comments

• And as fans we're obviously torn between what's best for us, and what's best in our opinion all in.

The best for us, is average points, and them deciding to promote top 3 off them.

What's arguably worst for us, as per most smaller clubs is forcing us to play BCD and costing ourselves a wad of money.

• edited April 2020

I would go for finishing this season, re start in October, finish in December. Next season starts in Middle of January, only play each team once. So 11 home games and 11 away games. Assuming we are in the Championship. Get some clever dick to seed the teams and give the lowest ranked home games against the top rank or minimise travel. No midweek games. Only cup competition the FA cup.

• edited April 2020

@Fit2drop said:
    I would go for finishing this season, re start in October, finish in December. Next season starts in Middle of January, only play each team once. So 11 home games and 11 away games. Assuming we are in the Championship. Get some clever dick to seed the teams and give the lowest ranked home games against the top rank or minimise travel. No midweek games. Only cup competition the FA cup.

You surely have to enter a new season expecting it to run as normal.
    Maybe you could write a new rule of if "xx" games have been played, then this is what happens - be it points average, taking positions etc.

But just the sheer lack of income compared to other seasons would be a problem in your model.

The second you have a situation where say we play QPR away, but Brentford only play them at home, it's totally unequal, and not what a league should be.

• @Fit2drop said:

If you decide only 22-25 games are likely to be played next season that is not the way to do it. The fairest way is to divide each league into two (possibly based on north and south), so the 12 teams play each other home and away. You could then have play offs involving the top 2 in each mini league.

• Still think finishing this season is not the best option but the only option. Can't see why anything should be changed for when football starts again in terms of new formats or rationalisation. If it wasn't proposed before why now?

In simple terms football needs something when it does resurface. The excitement of the end of a season would be so much better than the first few games of the next (especially with no certainty that will finish either)

Finally the thought of any match records being removed is so abhorrent it is beyond anger. No-one should be able to take away records and achievements from players and teams.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Still think finishing this season is not the best option but the only option. Can't see why anything should be changed for when football starts again in terms of new formats or rationalisation. If it wasn't proposed before why now?

In simple terms football needs something when it does resurface. The excitement of the end of a season would be so much better than the first few games of the next (especially with no certainty that will finish either)

Finally the thought of any match records being removed is so abhorrent it is beyond anger. No-one should be able to take away records and achievements from players and teams.

Seeing Akinfenwa lose his top goalscorer record would be particularly upsetting.

I still think they'll do some mash up on points before voiding, but who is to know. They certainly don't right now. And we're totally reliant on the virus buggering off, or a vaccine.

I hope we see Akinfenwa play for us again. Has to be a doubt now unfortunately.

• I think it’s going to be impossible to start any football until a few months down the line when hopefully things can get back to some kind of normality.

All this behind closed doors stuff in the near future just doesn’t work. What if a player tests positive the day before a game, every member of the squad/staff would immediately have to isolate for 14 days. What if they test positive a few days after a game, both teams and their staff would have to isolate for 14 days. It just won’t work in the current climate.

It’s going to be interesting to watch the spats amongst owners (Peterborough and Accrington owners have already been at it) and I think WWFC are actually in a very strong position. What’s the worst that can happen? We will be a league one club minimum next season, job done.

• @Vincey said:
    I think it’s going to be impossible to start any football until a few months down the line when hopefully things can get back to some kind of normality.

All this behind closed doors stuff in the near future just doesn’t work. What if a player tests positive the day before a game, every member of the squad/staff would immediately have to isolate for 14 days. What if they test positive a few days after a game, both teams and their staff would have to isolate for 14 days. It just won’t work in the current climate.

It’s going to be interesting to watch the spats amongst owners (Peterborough and Accrington owners have already been at it) and I think WWFC are actually in a very strong position. What’s the worst that can happen? We will be a league one club minimum next season, job done.

The worst?

You really don't want to ask that when we're reliant on one individual these days! Who probably wasn't bargaining for his project to be totally derailed this early!

• End the season now.

Tables as now or adjusted for PPG or some more complicated method but no promotion or relegation and payments for league positions (if they exist) evened out.

So Coventry will be shown as League One ‘champions’ in the record books and we’ll be shown as 3rd or 8th or somewhere in between.

I think the league next season should be split in 2 so a 22 league season. Then a decision can be made depending on how this develops whether to take the top half (and the bottom halves similarly) of each group and play a second half of the season with the top 3 promoted or play a more tournament-based endgame (again top and bottom halves) to decide promotion and relegation if there has been significant disruption to the season.

I’m also not sure I agree with @Malone’s idea of what actually I’d best for us. Whilst it would be nice to be in the Championship next season if we play half of it behind closed doors and get regularly stuffed (given our limited resources we could be seriously exposed) I’m not sure any of us will look back and say that was worth it.

• @bookertease said:
    End the season now.

Tables as now or adjusted for PPG or some more complicated method but no promotion or relegation and payments for league positions (if they exist) evened out.

So Coventry will be shown as League One ‘champions’ in the record books and we’ll be shown as 3rd or 8th or somewhere in between.

I think the league next season should be split in 2 so a 22 league season. Then a decision can be made depending on how this develops whether to take the top half (and the bottom halves similarly) of each group and play a second half of the season with the top 3 promoted or play a more tournament-based endgame (again top and bottom halves) to decide promotion and relegation if there has been significant disruption to the season.

I’m also not sure I agree with @Malone’s idea of what actually I’d best for us. Whilst it would be nice to be in the Championship next season if we play half of it behind closed doors and get regularly stuffed (given our limited resources we could be seriously exposed) I’m not sure any of us will look back and say that was worth it.

It would certainly take the shine off any "promotion" and the ensuing season wouldn't it!

• I think we can all agree that whatever they cobble together we won't be happy with it.

• I agree.

• Still think the most logical way forward from a sporting point of view is end this season when you can, have a short break, start next one when you can, (breaking for euros if necessary), then play 2021/22 from Dec to september, then do world cup in winter 2022, then work out when is the best time for football to be played.

Financial matters may take a hand though - clubs need season ticket money.

• Euros cancelled @DevC but I sort of concur. Finish the season as and when and as they've been lazing about :smile: for ages the players we still have left get a short break and then back into it.

• The conference and north/south divisions have voted to end the season.
    That's the way it's heading, and probably only a matter of time before leagues 1 and 2 go the same way. Rob C has certainly said that'd be his choice of action.

We do await how the national leagues will resolve standings though. And obviously this needs to tie in with what league 2 is doing!

• Imagine all the money paid to EFL and PL top officials and I bet they are all bricking themselves about actually having to make a decision about something that counts rather than stupid rule changes and their bonuses.

• @Malone said:
    The conference and north/south divisions have voted to end the season.
    That's the way it's heading, and probably only a matter of time before leagues 1 and 2 go the same way. Rob C has certainly said that'd be his choice of action.

We do await how the national leagues will resolve standings though. And obviously this needs to tie in with what league 2 is doing!

I agree with everything here apart from the last sentence, if the EFL don't want to accept any new members I don't think they can be forced?

• We really need to replace Bury though to avoid every League 1 team having two free weeks (assuming we get through next season without another lockdown) @username.

• L1 would have 24 teams, L2 might have to have a season of 23 - if the NL is voided, which I hope it's not.

• Who would come up from League 2 though @chairboyscentral if we don't finish the season?

• edited April 2020

If it was voided, no one, but I'm working on the assumption that it doesn't get voided. But another season of one division with an odd number of teams isn't the end of the world.

• edited April 2020

Bradford put out a statement saying the EFL's position - at least until the middle of May - is to get the season finished on the pitch. Even if it ends up being in vain, I think they've actually handled this very well and are giving proper completion a fighting chance. https://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/news/2020/april/club-statement-covid-19-update/

• edited April 2020

@Username said:

@Malone said:
    The conference and north/south divisions have voted to end the season.

I agree with everything here apart from the last sentence, if the EFL don't want to accept any new members I don't think they can be forced?

It'd be exceptionally unfair if the conference declare a title winner, and the league then say, nope we're not having anyone in, even with the current team down nature of league 1.

I wonder if they draw a close to the league, and go off average points, would they actually award 3 promotion places? Or just the top 2? Could go either way.

For the latter, while it would be a sheepish way to get a promotion, it'd certainly be a harsh margin to lose one on!

• @Malone - harsh indeed, especially as we should have got something from that final game at Doncaster to put as second on PPG!

• Would be classic us to hear it's PPG, but only top 2 go up :)

• I have read this, https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsmanchester/radical-new-rules-could-split-leagues-one-and-two-into-north-and-south-divisions-next-season/ar-BB1332DV?ocid=spartandhp&pfr=1
    Not actually to far from my idea of reducing the games by only playing each team once, just play half the teams.

• @Fit2drop said:
    I have read this, https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsmanchester/radical-new-rules-could-split-leagues-one-and-two-into-north-and-south-divisions-next-season/ar-BB1332DV?ocid=spartandhp&pfr=1
    Not actually to far from my idea of reducing the games by only playing each team once, just play half the teams.

Burton is further north than Shrewsbury. They should be reversed!

• @Fit2drop said:
    I have read this, https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsmanchester/radical-new-rules-could-split-leagues-one-and-two-into-north-and-south-divisions-next-season/ar-BB1332DV?ocid=spartandhp&pfr=1

Presumably this has to go hand in hand with BCD - with the acceptance that there will be little revenue.

As otherwise, going from 46 (or 44 this year) to 22 games has an obvious huge drop off, whilst still presumably paying the players the same wage!?
    Or do we ask them to take 50% paycuts?

Or do we play all teams 4 times?!

• Oh imagine going to Gillingham twice in one season, just how wet and cold you could get. I think if I got hyperthermia twice in a year I might have to tuck my vest in and get some mittens on a string.

• If you get hyperthermia @Fit2drop you’ll be stripping off.

Bloody @micra is back.