Skip to content

Memories when one man destroyed the Wanderers

2»

Comments

• I am sorry to ge back so far but I was at this game and the replay. "The 1954–55 season saw the Blues embark on another FA Amateur Cup run, Wealdstone, Woking and Ilford were beaten and faced the famous Pegasus team in the quarter-finals. 14,000 at a snow-bound Loakes Park saw the home side do everything but score and the visitors escaped with a goalless draw. The replay at Iffley Road saw the Wanderers come from a goal down to win 2–1 with a last minute winner from Jackie Tomlin. "
    That's from the club history. The reason the Wanderers didn't win the first match was due to a most incredible display of goal keeping by their keeper Mike Pinner who I think is one of the best goalkeepers I have ever seen in action

• edited April 2020

Jordan Rhodes had already been mentioned, though Martin Bullock for Blackpool in the early 2000s hasn't. He was able to beat several of our players at will all game, infuriating and inspiring respect from many Wycombe fans. Imagine my excitement when I heard we'd signed him in 2005, only for him to quickly go off the boil and his stay with us ultimately being a frustrating one.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Jordan Rhodes had already been mentioned, though Martin Bullock for Blackpool in the early 2000s hasn't. He was able to beat several of our players at will all game, infuriating and inspiring respect from many Wycombe fans. Imagine my excitement when I heard we'd signed him in 2005, only for him to quickly go off the boil and his stay with us ultimately being a frustrating one.

@Chris mentioned Bullock a few posts in!

• @Malone - bloody hell, it's a wonder I can remember my own name sometimes!

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    @Malone - bloody hell, it's a wonder I can remember my own name sometimes!

Doesn't hurt to add to the Bullock story.
    I share your regret that he never even remotely looked the same.player here.

I know we had a long spell as a striker graveyard but not so much for all flair types.

• To borrow a time honoured Gasroom saying: ‘Terrible thread, this!’
    Times are tough enough without reading Wycombe getting stuffed posts.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    To borrow a time honoured Gasroom saying: ‘Terrible thread, this!’
    Times are tough enough without reading Wycombe getting stuffed posts.

Buckle up big boy, as there's going to be months of threads like this before we get going again. We'll cover every single possible thread there is!

• Is it time for the "best away ground cuppa" thread yet?

• It may be the time to predict the successor to Kim Jong Un thread!

• @mooneyman said:
    It may be the time to predict the successor to Kim Jong Un thread!

I heard Trump will consider it taking the job next year if they make the Palace bigger and put his name on it. Oh...and more military parades.

• Stockport's Liam Dickinson under the tutelage of grim Jim Gannon always seemed to rather enjoy playing against us. Odd to note that he is still only 34 and on the books of Droylsdon.

• Never rated him personally.

• Remember the play-off games. 1-1 at AP, then Dickinson scored early on in the 2nd leg, and we didn't manage another goal. Leon Knight missed a sitter from what I can remember. And that was Paul Lambert on his way.

• That young forward Preston had in the FA Cup the other year was far too much for us to handle that day

Seem to remember Bobby Zamora being a right handful for Brighton as well. And Bullard at Peterborough

• Kim Casey and Paul Davies were more than a handful in 85/86. Hence why Kiddy put 8 past us at Aggborough that season.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Remember the play-off games. 1-1 at AP, then Dickinson scored early on in the 2nd leg, and we didn't manage another goal. Leon Knight missed a sitter from what I can remember. And that was Paul Lambert on his way.

That all time haunting bitter "that goal changed nothing" quote.

• @Malone said:

@NewburyWanderer said:
    Remember the play-off games. 1-1 at AP, then Dickinson scored early on in the 2nd leg, and we didn't manage another goal. Leon Knight missed a sitter from what I can remember. And that was Paul Lambert on his way.

Wasn't that also the time of the Sky Sports subscription strop from the Stockport manager?

And of course the indistructable ladies running across the M6 stopping many seeing half the match.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

Wasn't that also the time of the Sky Sports subscription strop from the Stockport manager?

And of course the indistructable ladies running across the M6 stopping many seeing half the match.

Not sure I remember the top line. Although I do remember he was a bit of an arse, and our guy was certainly one, so not surprised they clashed.

• Gannon mis-used his position as Stockport manager to air his petty private grievances with Sky - he wrote about it in his programme notes, and I believe he refused to attend their press conferences.

• We were in Crete at the time of the first leg of the play-offs and a small group of us walked up to a taverna in the foothills in the hope of seeing the game (I think it was the first leg) on Sky. I asked the barman if he’d be kind enough to switch to the channel showing the Wycombe game. We waited an age and kick off time came and went. Eventually what looked like rugby league appeared on the screen. The barman had misheard me. It was Wigan against Castleford or somesuch. The message did eventually get through and Wycombe v Stockport - a horribly drab performance - was viewed in virtual silence. It just wasn’t to be.

• I remember when Marcello Trotta absolutely schooled Exeter during at 3-1 home win.

So confident, he waited until he scored a hattrick in the final minute to take off his shirt and reveal a message to his mum watching. Or he forgot, which is why he took the ball from the half-way line in the final few seconds and ran it straight in.

• In my memory, he took the ball into the far corner under the big screen with everyone expecting him to keep it there when, being the mightily magnificently massively confident Marcello, he drove the ball home from a ridiculously narrow angle to complete a brilliant hat-trick.

• A different role, but outside shout for Alan Smith?

• There are at least 2 too many Alan Smiths in football. Possibly 3.

• The Leeds and Man Utd Alan Smith is OK isn’t he? Other than playing for Leeds and Utd.

• Alas only one Alan Smith had a go at ruining us..from the inside

• @Chris said:
    The Leeds and Man Utd Alan Smith is OK isn’t he? Other than playing for Leeds and Utd.

Other than playing for both which is a bit dodge in itself and several years as player and coach of the franchise and generally not reaching the level he should have.....

• I remember him being a real thug of a player in his pomp. Nasty late tackles, verbals, that kind of thing. Like a low rent Roy Keane.

The Arsenal one is pretty harmless I guess!

• I met Alan Smith ex Leeds & Manchester on holiday for several years on the trot, he was a really nice guy who was fantastic with the young kids, my 2 included.

• It will be nice when Lincoln fans have to mention JJ in a similar thread a few years from now...