Skip to content

Ringing The Blues

Comments

• F***ing brilliant, my weekend is saved.

• Here's the link...

Hit play at 2.54pm

• What a perfect tonic. Can’t wait.

• Best news I’ve heard all day.

• Thanks for doing this Phil, a real treat in the current climate

• Brilliant stuff Phil. I hope that making the podcast was as cathartic for you as it was for me listening to it.

Proper public service broadcasting.

Just a note on @oilysailor’s memories of the Lincoln game, I was exactly in line between McSporran’s boot and the top corner of the goal and that shot was one of the hardest / fastest I’d ever seen.

Picking it out of the net Grobs puffed his cheeks and raised his eyebrows with bewilderment. I don’t think he could process what had just happened.

Or maybe it was all the ‘Bank of Grobbelar’ fake tenners being waved at him from the terrace?

Great days.

• Cheers @Lloyd2084. It certainly was a cathartic exercise as I put it together on Saturday afternoon when I normally would have been... you know where.

• On the kit discussion, if anyone has the matchday programme from the game v Swindon on 2nd March 1996, I believe that was the one in which we were asked to vote for two (equally awful) kits for the following season. If memory serves the infamous 'vicar collar' didn't actually feature on the design that was voted in.

The actual third white pinstriped kit was given to @WWISC1994 (by John Gregory I believe) for the supporters team to use once the club were done with it. I'm not sure where it is now, rotting in someone's garage is my best guess...

• plenty of Philip Barker on Sky Sports’ Premier League re runs.

He says “might go all the way here” a lot

• An already excellent podcast has surpassed all ratings for me. I suggest Phil and oily. Should report tothenTion every day

• To the nation

• Thank you. Amazing work

• @peterparrotface said:
    plenty of Philip Barker on Sky Sports’ Premier League re runs.

Is he still working or are these very old games? Perhaps an interviewee for the future?

• That's an unfortunate snap of Bayo and Luke

• @arnos_grove said:

@peterparrotface said:
    plenty of Philip Barker on Sky Sports’ Premier League re runs.

Is he still working or are these very old games? Perhaps an interviewee for the future?

Think he does athletics and cricket now

• @eric_plant said:
    That's an unfortunate snap of Bayo and Luke

Well they both seem to be enjoying themselves?

• Another cracking episode. So much to listen to with so little going on! Even that lump from Colchester was interesting (never thought I’d say that).

• Brilliant stuff again Phil.

RC sounds like exactly the kind of owner we need at the helm right now.

Also McDonut was in fine form and it was great to listen to him. It’s be interesting to hear @glasshalffull’s side of that bar story!

• I haven’t heard it but I’ve read his version of events in his book. Suffice to say that a man who is proud of his record number of red cards, his excessive drinking and womanising and who was disrespectful to Wycombe Wanderers and in particular to Martin O’Neill (McDonough claims he was a better manager than Martin!) doesn’t figure highly on my Christmas card list. He was also partly responsible for the ill feelings and crowd misbehaviour when we played Colchester. due to his on field antics.
    I wonder if he’s proud of that as well?

• He was more gracious than I was expecting @glasshalffull but seemed unnecessarily keen to downplay Mo’Ns attributes.

I didn’t mean to poke you with a stick, sorry, just he went to some lengths to name check you over a story in a bar at D&R about them playing Barrow in fancy dress.

24 red cards back when a Cousins’ tackle of death barely warranted a yellow, is a hell of a badge of honour / shame.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I haven’t heard it but I’ve read his version of events in his book. Suffice to say that a man who is proud of his record number of red cards, his excessive drinking and womanising and who was disrespectful to Wycombe Wanderers and in particular to Martin O’Neill (McDonough claims he was a better manager than Martin!) doesn’t figure highly on my Christmas card list. He was also partly responsible for the ill feelings and crowd misbehaviour when we played Colchester. due to his on field antics.
    I wonder if he’s proud of that as well?

I totally agree with you Mr Parry, I've read his book as well and he comes across every inch the prize prick he was as a player, and in his interview on the podcast he does little to dispel that image.
    In his book, he tries to portray himself as a top quality hardman centre forward, No Roy, you were no Joe Jordan, but a lower division journeyman who gained notoriety for having a big mouth,big head and getting sent off fairly regularly.
    As excitable as St Martin could be, once the game had finished we had a man who showed manners and class.
    Mcdonut didnt have that then and doesnt have it now, send my apologies to the unfortunate Spanish people who have had him inflicted on them.

• I knew we’d agree on something one day Chas!
    And Lloyd2084, it wasn’t you poking a stick. The mere mention of that man’s name is enough to raise my temperature.

• The fact that I was in a Wassap group the other day, and you had to mention your most disliked player who Wanderers have come up against, and in football in general.
    The fact I went for Watford and Gills Midfielder Anthony Hessenthaler and Celtics Scott Browne, makes me a bit ashamed that I ommitted the odious Mcdonut.

• I seem to remember Rick Holden giving a hand shuffle to the Woodlands terrace riled people quite a bit?

• The lady fella who used to play midfield for Carlise amongst others wasnt the mosr popular.
    He went grey early, but I'd be buggered if I can remember his name ??

• @ChasHarps said:
    The lady fella who used to play midfield for Carlise amongst others wasnt the mosr popular.
    He went grey early, but I'd be buggered if I can remember his name ??

Warren Aspinall