Skip to content

The You Choose Cup - Group F

edited April 2020 in Football

Two League Two teams are included in this latest collection of four. Though I have been reliably informed that Sunderland are too good for this tin pot group, they are stuck here for now.

Poll not found

Comments

• I remember the LOFC v WWFC game at Brisbane Road when the O's were about to fall out of the league, and found it difficult to understand how things had become so bad off the field (which eventually fed through to the on-field position). However, good to see they have recovered and back in the league.

In the end went for Port Vale, as Vale Park was the venue for my first ever abandoned game (a match back in the 1980s - against Aldershot I think).

• Most unappealing group yet. Hull has a nice bridge but otherwise nothing to commend it as a city. Port Vale - second best club in “hull without the bridge”. Sunderland - normally great people but those supporting the football club have let themselves down , Orient - too early to forgive the way Kashket was treated. I hope they all lose.

• Don't understand the Sunderland comment. The people are great, so welcoming up there. What have they done wrong?

• When did you last visit Hull @DevC

When did you last meet a Sunderland fan for that matter?

• I don't think you can write off Orient because they had one absolutely dreadful owner. They get my vote for giving us Kashket, and also for sending Oxford into non-league.

• Without exception the Sunderland fans I've spoken to have been terrific people

Not sure I'd want folk judging Wycombe fans by the quality of our online output

• @peterparrotface said:
      Don't understand the Sunderland comment. The people are great, so welcoming up there. What have they done wrong?

They shouldn't qualify for this Cup as they keep telling us they're a Premiership Club and shouldn't be playing in this shit league.

• @peterparrotface said:
      Don't understand the Sunderland comment. The people are great, so welcoming up there. What have they done wrong?

Not at the home game last season?

• Orient for the great away day memories, and for Cyrille’s goal on that sweltering hot day.

• I worked not far from Hull over a few months mr Middle. Found a nice hotel on the south side of the Humber which I rather enjoyed and crossed into Hull a few times but always found it a disappointment. admittedly that was a decade ago but I don’t have warm feelings for Hull.
      north/east people in general are some of the warmest people you could wish to meet. Their sense of entitlement in respect of their football club together with smashing up seats and general whining has not left me with a warm feeling towards their football club.
      As for Orient, the football club treated one of our own very badly. Too soon for me to have warm feelings towards them
      No feelings one way or other for port vale.

• @DevC said:
      I worked not far from Hull over a few months mr Middle. Found a nice hotel on the south side of the Humber which I rather enjoyed and crossed into Hull a few times but always found it a disappointment. admittedly that was a decade ago but I don’t have warm feelings for Hull.
      north/east people in general are some of the warmest people you could wish to meet. Their sense of entitlement in respect of their football club together with smashing up seats and general whining has not left me with a warm feeling towards their football club.
      As for Orient, the football club treated one of our own very badly. Too soon for me to have warm feelings towards them
      No feelings one way or other for port vale.

The Hull of today is a very different place due to City of Culture investment.
      Good politician answer to the Sunderland question.

• Fair enough Mr Middle. If you warm to Hull that is your right. It may now be a thriving fascinating place. My impression of it for the purpose of a minor football orientated quiz remains based on my experiences.
      In answer to your question about number of Sunderland fans, I think the answer might be 26 but I can’t quite remember the footballing allegiances of one young lady from the North East. Does that help?

• @DevC said:
      Fair enough Mr Middle. If you warm to Hull that is your right. It may now be a thriving fascinating place. My impression of it for the purpose of a minor football orientated quiz remains based on my experiences.
      In answer to your question about number of Sunderland fans, I think the answer might be 26 but I can’t quite remember the footballing allegiances of one young lady from the North East. Does that help?

Just wanted to give you an update on Hull. Your response suggests you didn't take it in the spirit it was intended. That's a shame.
      Your creepy answer on Sunderland isn't true is it? So no. It doesn't help.

• Orient for me, any league game I can get to on the tube is a bonus, My dads from the east end and went there with me having previously been about 50 years earlier with Spurs, some good games there including the one where Rhino was in charge that went a long way to keeping us up. I feel the club was harshly done too by the Italians rather than doing bad themselves, believe SK has wished them well now. Lots of sympathy for Justin Edinburgh passing to. Good club, nice stadium.
      No real feelings for the other, vague Guppy redemption memories with Vale.
      Sunderland fans are nice on the whole less some utterly deluded folks but the Netflix thing just makes it clear how much of a shambles they've been.

• You are right Mr Middle. My records of every person. I have ever met sorted by football club supported were lost in the floods of 2005 and I haven’t had the heart to carry on recording since... I don’t honestly know how many Sunderland supporters I have ever met. sorry.
      My company did have a base in Newcastle and had several nights out in that city. They were invariably drunken noisy and fun. I dare say some of the lads and lasses were from Sunderland area and some no doubt supported the club. What this is relevant to god only knows.

• You seem to be in a rather cranky mood today Dev!

• @DevC said:
      You are right Mr Middle. My records of every person. I have ever met sorted by football club supported were lost in the floods of 2005 and I haven’t had the heart to carry on recording since... I don’t honestly know how many Sunderland supporters I have ever met. sorry.
      My company did have a base in Newcastle and had several nights out in that city. They were invariably drunken noisy and fun. I dare say some of the lads and lasses were from Sunderland area and some no doubt supported the club. What this is relevant to god only knows.

I haven't ever asked you how many you've met, just when did you meet one last. Great work at getting indignant about a non answer to say me thing that was never asked. You really are a piece of work.

• @Malone said:

@peterparrotface said:

What did they do?

• Orient for me, felt awful for their fans when we beat them 2-0 the year they went down. I like the stadium too.

• Orient for me - as well as being easy for me to get to, it is the only time I have ever heard both sets of fans singing the same song.

• Oh my apologies Mr Middle. I’m not meeting too many new people at the moment to be honest. The woman on the tills a couple of weeks ago spoke with a Northestern accent but to be honest our conversation never went much beyond whether I had a club card or needed any bags. She seemed nice enough though. Would you like me to ask who she supports if she happens to be on my till at next weeks social highlight?

• @DevC said:
      Sunderland - normally great people but those supporting the football club have let themselves down

You have turned this comment into a disgusting creep fest. Horrible stuff.

• @mooneyman said:
      You seem to be in a rather cranky mood today Dev!

Seems to me he's given a pretty good account of himself after a real poking with the proverbial stick.

• @peterparrotface said:

@Malone said:

@peterparrotface said:

What did they do?

General abusive behaviour.
      Mixed with a mix of online "big club" mentality condescension.

• Orient for me as I used to live in walthamstow and caught the odd game there.

• Weren't Orient charging £25 the last time we went there, which had to be close to a league 2 record!? Dreadful.

• I must admit if I was to judge a football club on the number of supporters of it I’ve met whose behaviour is pretty awful I’d have to place us bottom of any list

• Well it may be the product of a weak group, but Leyton Orient are potentially going to sweep this one with the best percentage yet. Contenders for the cup, or just a lucky draw?

• @bookertease said:
      I must admit if I was to judge a football club on the number of supporters of it I’ve met whose behaviour is pretty awful I’d have to place us bottom of any list

We do have a pack of 20-30 goons, but I'm pretty sure if you spent any time with any other club on away trips you'd find similar, but in bigger numbers.

• @Malone that was my point really. A somewhat belated and probably obtuse comment on Dev and Righty’s ongoing mutual appreciation society. Not surprisingly I have met vastly more Wycombe supporters than any others.

My experience and feeling is that as a whole Wycombe fans are probably the friendliest and gentlest in the league. (Although was you point out we do have a few goons).