Skip to content

The You Choose Cup - Group D

On to group D! This group has two second tier teams, seeking to keep the fun going.

Poll not found

Comments

• It's strange to think that in 1992, Cambridge finished 5th in the second tier, and were involved in the playoffs for promotion to the old first division, as a result. What a huge story that would be today!

• I wouldn’t have wanted to watch them every week...

• edited April 2020

Qpr gave us Eze, but also that 4-3 with the wrong player sending off furious scenes.

Barnsley have nicked a couple off us.
      Burton fans seem to be strangely conceited at times, despite their recent non league status.

Cambridge for me.

• This is the toughest choice yet for me, but I’m going Cambridge over QPR - largely because of the debuts of Roger Johnson and Carlos Lopez.

• @Malone said:
      Qpr gave us Eze, but also that 4-3 with the wrong player sending off furious scenes.

Barnsley have nicked a couple off us.
      Burton fans seem to be strangely conceited at times, despite their recent non league status.

Cambridge for me.

Eze's double wonder strike game was away at Cambridge. QPR also gave us Ainsworth, Harriman and...Denis Oli

• Tough group on which to decide as QPR have done loads for us, though I have to go with Cambridge who I supported when living close by before moving down here in the 80s.

• Cambridge fans always seem to be moaning about us being cheats, so find it hard to warm to them. The Ingram incident back in 2015 reflected badly on both sides.

• QPR for me.May our close links remain and our manager remain!

• Always seems to be sunny when we play at Oakwell

• I’d have to go with QPR, being my first love due to my Dad being from West London.
      They have also helped us out greatly in the last few years.

• This is now the most-voted for group so far. Another second tier winner on the cards, too.

• Any theories as to why such second tier dominance so far? Only Bristol City-Exeter was close.

Is it because we play second tier teams less, and have less memories of them opposing us? Or just a coincidence?

I would also be interested, based on some of the comments so far, to see how many clubs are sympathetic based upon a Wycombe memory they are a part of, as opposed to any kind of direct sympathy for the club itself.

• Calling this one a little early too. A plucky effort from Cambridge, but QPR still romp to a resounding win. A contender for the title?

• This is a very good little distraction so thanks for doing all this @Shev. I can't speak for others but apart from those where I've had some local connection, most of my votes so far have been on places i've gone where i've good memories of going to watch Wycombe for whatever reason (some of which may indeed be the quality of the hostelries I may or may not have entered before the game).

In terms of contenders for the title, I have a sneaky feeling Fulham will be there or thereabouts

• I should also point out that there are places that I instantly omit due to a less than pleasant experience. So in the above poll, Cambridge - which is a city i like and a ground i have been to a few times now - is instantly dismissed due to one very very very cold dire (i think 0-0 but may have been 0-1) game around Christmas many years back that still makes me shudder when I think about it.

• I really dislike Fulham, after they (well, Barry Hayles) had to resort to cheating to beat us in the FA cup.

• @Chris said:
      I really dislike Fulham, after they (well, Barry Hayles) had to resort to cheating to beat us in the FA cup.

Weren't Wycombe fans accussed of spitting at a Fulham player (Saha?) as well?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Chris said:
      I really dislike Fulham, after they (well, Barry Hayles) had to resort to cheating to beat us in the FA cup.

Weren't Wycombe fans accussed of spitting at a Fulham player (Saha?) as well?

Certainly remember a spitting incident involving Saha, but thought the accusation was laid at one of our players? Memory not what it once was though!

• Wycombe fans were accused of throwing coins at Saha