Skip to content

Could some players still train?

I'll start this by saying that I'm not suggesting any players should be forced to go to work in an unsafe environment.

Could training still go on in a much resistricted way at the training ground? Not in the gym for obvious reasons , but on the field, with limited numbers and sessions, but surely better than nothing.

The current govt advice is that you should work from home if you can, and to go to work if you can work while observing the 2m distancing rule - on the face of it that would cover professional athletes training.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Doubt many of them live close enough to the training ground to justify driving there do they? Unless they can walk their dog and do some essential shopping as part of the trip.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Doubt many of them live close enough to the training ground to justify driving there do they? Unless they can walk their dog and do some essential shopping as part of the trip.

Travel is a good point that I didn't consider, and would rule out some who live a serious commute away for sure.

You are allowed, and indeed "supposed to" still drive to work if you can't work from home though, no need to shoe horn in a shopping trip or dog walk.

• true @Username but I do think some of them live quite a distance...unless Gaz has room for them to bunk down at his gaff.

• Also, if any of the players are furloughed(?) they cannot do any work for or related to their employer's business. So group training sessions for those would be out too.
    It's debatable whether the club can actually have any direct contact with them if it's related to their individual fitness regimes even, but I doubt there will be any officials checking up.

• @Twizz said:
    Also, if any of the players are furloughed(?) they cannot do any work for or related to their employer's business. So group training sessions for those would be out too.
    It's debatable whether the club can actually have any direct contact with them if it's related to their individual fitness regimes even, but I doubt there will be any officials checking up.

That's a fair point and quite likely to be the case I suspect, have we furloughed all our staff yet?

• With our long ball tactics, surely it would be easief for our players to social distance during training...

• Hoof it up to Bayo....in London.

• @Twizz said:
    Also, if any of the players are furloughed(?) they cannot do any work for or related to their employer's business. So group training sessions for those would be out too.

Although, you can do "training" when on furlough. I will be. But you can't do "work" for the company.

So it'd be an interesting legal discussion on whether their actual training, is training, or work in this context!!

• @Malone, I think we understand the difference - as I'm sure would HMRC - but I take your point. Depends on whether by doing the training the players provide a service or generate revenue for the club.