Skip to content

Season extended indefinitely

Comments

• @bookertease said:
    On the subject of thumbs up and down has anyone seen of heard of @micra recently?

Asked just that the other day, hope all is well. Not like him to let the monsterous lack of spelling skills and grandma go without a correction for one thing.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Last appeared April 10th, so hopefully no need to panic. He might have better things to do than discuss the politics of coronavirus. He may be distributing sweets to the NHS?Shout out @micra!

Or he might be busy doing laps around his garden in competition with Captain Tom Moore!

• His profile shows as “last active” April 14th, though I’m not sure what “last active” actually means.

• @carrickblue said:
    @mooneyman I did read your post. Wasn’t having a go at you I was merely asking if you had read something on immunity being acquired as you said “ As time goes on, more and more will steadily obtain immunity as the virus isn't going to go away”.

I asked as a microbiologist my partner works with in the NHS wasn’t convinced on immunity being acquired.

It'll likely be similar to the flu vaccine, with an annual vaccine that's free for everyone who's "at risk" and available for everyone else for a small cost.

Essentially they take "last year's" strain and make a vaccine from it which should be close enough to the current years after mutations to be effective

• I’d like to leave the forum is there a button on the profile page. Thanks in advance

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    I’d like to leave the forum is there a button on the profile page. Thanks in advance

I think you just close the page, shut down the computer and just slowly walk away, shaking your head sadly. Or do something that @drcongo can ban you for...

• @Wendoverman said:

@BuckinghamBlue said:
    I’d like to leave the forum is there a button on the profile page. Thanks in advance

I think you just close the page, shut down the computer and just slowly walk away, shaking your head sadly. Or do something that @drcongo can ban you for...

Okay thanks before I leave someone put this on the Facebook page well worth a watch.hope everyone is safe and see you all at the Adams Park. COYB

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1914766/

• edited April 2020

Have I read this right - seems that Scotland have just gone with PPG to resolve divs 1, 2 & 3 ?

• Imagine getting promoted to the Championship and playing that season behind closed doors.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Have I read this right - seems that Scotland have just gone with PPG to resolve divs 1, 2 & 3 ?

From my reading, they've voted to end the season, but not on how promotion and relegation is dealt with.

• edited April 2020

Strong reports of some league 1 and league 2 clubs getting worried about how long they can hold on and pressuring the EFL for a decision....

If we were fan owned still with no capital, how much money do we think we'd need to tide us over to a new season in August?

Surely it's small change for each Premier league club to keep a L1 and L2 cub alive by giving back a little that they've hoovered up from us in the last decade.

Maybe the government could simply take money from known tax avoiders to find the NHS now and then community assets as we exit. Could start with over 3 billion from the Duke of Westminster who so kindly offered to repay around 0.2% of the money he stole from the country back to the NHS accompanied by nice press releases about his "generosity"

• And I thought for one moment this thread had got back to football but alas no.........I blame the (insert the blinkered political view/scapegoat of your choice here).

We want to fight for Stan's right to have a baby.
    But he hasn't got a womb, I mean where's the foetus going to gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?

Truly awful thread this.

• Germany announced yesterday that social restrictions would start to loosen from next week... But also that people will not be able to meet in groups larger than two and mass attendance events, not least football matches, would be prohibited until September at the earliest.

Given how far behind Germany we are in testing, it's unrealistic to expect us to be able to do any better in lifting restrictions earlier. To my mind that kills off any chance of finishing the season. End it now, give clubs clarity, and allow players out of contract to start looking for new teams.

One other interesting part of Angela Merkel's announcement - the German govt will "strongly recommend" facemasks are worn in public at all times. Has anyone tried chanting football songs in a facemask? I guess it's something we all will have time to practice over the next few months...

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    And I thought for one moment this thread had got back to football but alas no.........I blame the (insert the blinkered political view/scapegoat of your choice here).

We want to fight for Stan's right to have a baby.
    But he hasn't got a womb, I mean where's the foetus going to gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?

Truly awful thread this.

There's literally no football to talk about....

Compared to almost every other platform the conversation/ debate on the crisis has been very considered. It's quite easy to just scroll on

• @aloysius said:
    Germany announced yesterday that social restrictions would start to loosen from next week... But also that people will not be able to meet in groups larger than two and mass attendance events, not least football matches, would be prohibited until September at the earliest.

Given how far behind Germany we are in testing, it's unrealistic to expect us to be able to do any better in lifting restrictions earlier. To my mind that kills off any chance of finishing the season. End it now, give clubs clarity, and allow players out of contract to start looking for new teams.

One other interesting part of Angela Merkel's announcement - the German govt will "strongly recommend" facemasks are worn in public at all times. Has anyone tried chanting football songs in a facemask? I guess it's something we all will have time to practice over the next few months...

I've not seen anything from the Bundesliga yet, but everything is pointing to the seasons across Europe not finishing now

• @aloysius said:

Be amusing to watch @Wendoverman stuffing crisps down his gullet with a mask on.

• This idea that I am some sort of ill-mannered public potato snacker is not one I am happy about. However accurate a picture it may paint. I expect I will be the one NOT wearing a mask and being pelted with G5 phones and other projectiles by outraged @Onlooker @HolmerBlue and @BuckinghamBlue :smile:

• You could pre-fill your mask with crisps before the match, handily keeping your hands free for clapping.

• @drcongo @Wendoverman sort of like a horse's nose bag? A bit like the rag & bone man used to have when he went down the street.

• edited April 2020

@Twizz said:
    @drcongo @Wendoverman sort of like a horse's nose bag? A bit like the rag & bone man used to have when he went down the street.

That's a very different type of nose bag to the ones usually spotted at the football

• @Twizz said:
    @drcongo @Wendoverman sort of like a horse's nose bag? A bit like the rag & bone man used to have when he went down the street.

Our rag and bone let the horse have his

• https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/april/efls-open-letter-to-supporters/

Rick Parry: "I cannot tell you today when football will resume, though whenever we do return, matches are likely to be played without crowds."

• @AlanCecil said:
    https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/april/efls-open-letter-to-supporters/

Rick Parry: "I cannot tell you today when football will resume, though whenever we do return, matches are likely to be played without crowds."

That's most of League One and Two already cymbal crash
    Aye thank yew.

• @AlanCecil said:
    https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/april/efls-open-letter-to-supporters/

Always preferred the other, more handsome Parry brother myself.

• edited April 2020

Talking of @glasshalffull I wonder if he's read today's Sunday Times yet? Will certainly need to be referred to when he decides we're allowed to talk about politics again (including the revelation that training for key workers to be able to cope with a pandemic was put on hold for two years in order to plan for no deal Brexit)

• Even slippery Boris will do well to ride this attack on him by the Tory Times.

• The Accrington owner has threatened to put youth players out, or no team at all, if the EFL persist in trying to finish the season. He has calculated that it will cost his club over £500k to finish the season and he would rather get relegated than go out of business.

How many clubs at our level can afford to waste this sort of money?

• @mooneyman said:
    The Accrington owner has threatened to put youth players out, or no team at all, if the EFL persist in trying to finish the season. He has calculated that it will cost his club over £500k to finish the season and he would rather get relegated than go out of business.

How many clubs at our level can afford to waste this sort of money?

I'd love to know the logic for his numbers and how they differ through playing and not playing. Would be interesting to see the League fine them over £500k for not fulfilling games or playing a youth team. The Bolton decision from what seems like ages ago would be a benchmark surely

• The Accrington chairman takes the narrow view of things as they affect his club and fails to look at the bigger picture. He talks about not wanting to play’dead-rubber fixtures’ and ‘games that don’t matter to us’. Try telling the eight clubs (including Wycombe) separated by eight points at the top of the table that these are meaningless games. Try telling that to the likes of Rochdale, Wimbledon and Tranmere at the bottom. At least half the clubs in the division still have something to play for and I wonder if Mr.Holt would have taken this stance if Accrington had been one of those clubs?
    If circumstances dictate that the season can’t be completed for reasons of public safety then so be it, but we can’t scrap the whole thing because it happens to suit Accrington Stanley.