Skip to content

WWFC's Football League-era top goalscorers

During @bluntphil's excellent quiz on Saturday, you may remember the question asking who are WWFC's top goalscorers in all competitions since joining the Football League in 1993. Thanks to the wonders of lockdown induced boredom and being a part-time statto saddo, I managed to look into this using the excellent Chairboys on the Net website's authoritative records to compile an animated 'bar chart race' of the top 20 scorers in any given month since August 1993.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1914766/

If you've still got your answers for question 9 from Saturday, you may want to give yourself a few extra points if you had put Dave Carroll, Sean Devine and Steve Brown instead of McGleish, Beavon and Bloomfield.

Comments

• That was a great watch. Tyson's ascent is incredible.

• Akinfenwa's even more so

Front 3 of Akinfenwa, Devine and Tyson in their primes would probably win is the FA Cup

• Really enjoyed watching that, thanks.

• That’s one of the best uses of boredom-relieving lockdown I’ve seen yet! Hats off!

• Wonderful stuff! Some great surprise entries there... Own Goal made me smile, and it's great to see JJ sneaking in. I enjoyed the way Bloomers kept Paul Hayes at bay too. The surge up the list of some of the front men is remarkable, none more so than the man Bayo himself. It made me sad to recall the length of lay off Super Sean had though, surely he'd still be our top league scorer to this day had that not happened.

• Really enjoyed watching that. The cream always rises to the top!

• Excellent job there by RM and some glorious memories to recall.

• Has JJ ever scored in open play for us (i.e. not a penalty, free kick, corner)? Struggling to remember one

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Has JJ ever scored in open play for us (i.e. not a penalty, free kick, corner)? Struggling to remember one

The only one that springs to mind was his modest effort with his limited right peg against Shrewsbury.

Don't know if he's scored any from open play with his trusty left foot though.

• He scored from open play at Cheltenham a few years back as well

• Nice watch indeed.
    Glad to see all goals included. Always slightly irritated when stats are given only as league games.

• Thanks for this - really enjoyed watching it and brought back lots of memories!
    Highlight being reminded of Miguel de Souza’s 6 goal run!

• Classic Allsop move at the end from Stockcdale!

• This was a brilliant watch! The most exciting bar chart I’ve seen in years!

Thanks @ReadingMarginalista

• Must be a great watch for oldtimers but for someone who came later to the party watching the names I remember of McLeish, Mooney, Harrold, McClure and Bayo appearing was excellent. Despite the recent travails we've seen some pretty decent players at AP over the years.

• Thanks @ReadingMarginalista, a thing of real beauty. I had forgotten how many goals Roger Johnson got from the back, and only overtaken by JJ recently, as the leading defender in the list. Special mention also for Terry Evans, 19, and Paul McCarthy, 18.

I wonder if it is possible to add the goals per game ratio, or show the games total with the goals.

It has got me thinking, I never like to differentiate between non-league and league, perhaps it might be possible to do an all-time graph one day, with a season as the time frame.

• Steve Brown is my favourite player ever but I dont remember him as a goalscorer particularly (that classic against Col U aside) so it's very satisfying to see him so high up. Great chart, fun way to pass a few minutes.

What a player Desouza was.

• Would make a great screen saver

• @Steve_Peart Thanks for the kind comments! The arbitrary cut off of our entry to the Football League was set simply because of the question in the quiz, I agree doing a similar season-by-season one starting in 1887 would be a great little project. I haven't got yours and Dave Finch's excellent book from 1996 to hand, though I'm think I'm right in saying that most, if not all seasons had a top scorer list?

Re: showing the goals per game ratios, I'm not sure that would necessarily be possible with the website i was using. I might look into it when I can bear to look at a spreadsheet again (which might be a while after putting the dataset together for the animation!)

• Also thanks to everyone else for their kind words, I'm glad it's helped bring back memories of better times.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Steve Brown is my favourite player ever but I dont remember him as a goalscorer particularly (that classic against Col U aside) so it's very satisfying to see him so high up. Great chart, fun way to pass a few minutes.

What a player Desouza was.

I'm sure Desouza played right back for Birmingham before we brought him in.
    Although that was in the days Barry Fry treated players like new toys and had about 50 players.

I can't remember being more excited as a kid going to that run of games where he scored every game.

• I still remember the first time I saw Miguel DeSouza play for us. I was immediately convinced he was the best player we'd ever had.

• My memory is telling me he got injured at the end of that great little run when he first joined us and never quite got into that groove again. Is that right?

But yes, he was some player when he first came

• We'd have gone up that year if him and Ryan had stayed fit

Ryan of course snapped his knee playing chalfont st Peter in the b&b trophy for all you trainspottery Berks and Bucks enthusiasts out there

It's a competition for the programme seller/50 50 ticket agents XI

• De Souza now working in youth football with Fulham after working at Charlton and Orient.

While at Charlton worked with a Jonny Dixon (now at Arsenal) but can’t find out if same one. Anyone know?

• Our Jonny Dixon works in tv now, and is (was?) a producer on Love Island.

• Yeah that's not the same Jonny Dixon. Dixon left football, said he fell out of love with it.

• Great graphics thanks for that. Informative and entertaining.

• @bookertease said:
    My memory is telling me he got injured at the end of that great little run when he first joined us and never quite got into that groove again. Is that right?

But yes, he was some player when he first came

Yeah that was an absolutely killer blow, as he was on fire.

Was out ages, but did put in a 25 or so goal season later on.

My biggest memory is him getting loads of stick from the Woodlands, and then he got on the ball, went on a run and scorched a 25 yarder into the top corner.

Didn't help that he suffered the Smith era, but still put good numbers in.