Skip to content

Season extended indefinitely

Comments

• @mooneyman said:
    @DJWYC14 - Don"t you think that the fact that a vote in favour of the resolution would give their "enemy" Dundee Unired the title has something to do with their stance?

You could say this for any team's situation. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

• Sadly that doesn't surprise me. I'm in despair at the mess we're in and how we got here.

• @Onlooker said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I can't say I've read up on him, but I don't take much notice of his thoughts as I wonder how well placed an oncologist is to discuss epidemiology.

Best stick to the BBC and Sky News for the facts. It would be highly inappropriate to keep an open mind while doing your own research.

Such as the David Icke video you posted the other day?

• I think realistically football needs to plan for normal service to resume from the start of the 21/22 season.

Whatever happens to this season, next season at best will begin on a wing and a prayer. The authorities and puppet-masters need to come up with a flexible format that will attract enough people interested and prepared to pay to watch either in person (if allowed) or on TV (at the top level maybe later involving European competition), that could survive one or two extended breaks.

• Don"t you think that a vote in favour of the resolution would give their "enemy" Dundee Unired > @DJWYC14 said:

@mooneyman said:
    @DJWYC14 - Don"t you think that the fact that a vote in favour of the resolution would give their "enemy" Dundee Unired the title has something to do with their stance?

You could say this for any team's situation. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

Quite. If voting FOR the resolution resulted in United being denied the title I'm sure they would have been the first club to vote in favour!

What would our club have done in a similar resolution if a vote one way or another deprived Oxford of the Title!

• I don't think anyone in our club who had a say in such a vote would give a damn about Oxford United or any other individual team getting the title. They would just vote for what they felt was best for our club.

• A month ago my preference was to wait and complete the season whenever it was safe, be that June 2020 or June 2021. But that solution creates as many problems as it solves.

Finishing the season behind closed doors sounds like a great idea but it’s Impractical, arguably dangerous and lacking integrity.

Voiding the whole season is a disastrous idea and would ruin the football league for a generation. How would we believe that any game we were watching would mean anything again?

So, declaring the season complete, figuring out a way to decide final league positions and planning to start the 20/21 season as close to early August as possible seems to be the best option. A December World Cup in 2022 gives the PL/EFL/FA the opportunity to be creative with the 21/22/23 seasons, they should take it.

• If they decided it on days spent in each position, wouldn't we come out as champions? ;)

• Except @floyd that causes just as many problems.

You see in Scotland that the 3 teams that would stand to lose, Rangers, Hearts and Dundee (rivals would get promoted), funnily enough aren't in favour of the "award everything as it stands now" idea.

Imagine trying to do the same vote in England?

Points per game average is awkward, even though Wycombe would benefit - in our example, we had 6 aways left versus 4 homes, and even though we've barely got a point away in about 3months, we'd benefit from early season form (which has long disappeared).
    It totally loses the "integrity" (a word people were using about cancelling the leagues), of playing every team twice, home and away.

Imagine telling teams they've missed out on a promotion by 0.01 points per game, for a rule that they've just decided on making up now.

Imagine relegating a team with 3/4 of the season to go.

Things will continue evolving over the next month or 2, so will be fascinating viewing which way it all goes.

• @floyd said:
    Voiding the whole season is a disastrous idea and would ruin the football league for a generation. How would we believe that any game we were watching would mean anything again?

I think there are valid arguments for and against any decision that might be made. But whichever way you slice it, this comment is preposterous.

• @aloysius said:

@floyd said:

I think there are valid arguments for and against any decision that might be made. But whichever way you slice it, this comment is preposterous.

Agreed. It's as if this is just some normal situation, rather than a once in a generation, whole world affecting emergency.

• @aloysius said:

@floyd said:

LOL.

• There are problems with every solution @Malone. There doesn’t appear to be an easy way out of this.

• @aloysius said:

@Onlooker said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I can't say I've read up on him, but I don't take much notice of his thoughts as I wonder how well placed an oncologist is to discuss epidemiology.

Best stick to the BBC and Sky News for the facts. It would be highly inappropriate to keep an open mind while doing your own research.

Such as the David Icke video you posted the other day?

My post was a little tongue in cheek. Would recommend keeping an eye on DI and anyone else broadcasting in these interesting times

• Bit harsh! 53rd is Doncaster anyway.

• What a berk. Deliberately doing the maths wrong to pick us as we're the smaller name to try and make his "this is how crap the efforts have been" seem even crapper.

• The politicising of this crisis is disgraceful.

• Sorry but Campbell is a bellend.

• I agree. Met him once in Wycombe’s Boardroom when he accompanied Michael Parkinson for the visit of Barnsley.
    Arrogant man.

• Campbell comes across as a twat, but this crisis is political, and the generally the people saying it's a disgrace politicising it are doing so because they know the Torys can't lie their way out of death statistics so better to shut down criticism until they find a "spin".

The govt have compared the crisis to a war, if Johnson sent out soldiers to war without body armour he might have already been shown the door.

• If Churchill war cabinet consisted of Bully Patel, Judas Gove and Hopeless Hancock, it would have been like taking on the Gerry's armed with a stick of Rhubarb !!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Bit harsh! 53rd is Doncaster anyway.

Campbell has a dossier that says we’re 53rd and we’ve got a chemical weapons factory in the program hut

• @glasshalffull said:
    The politicising of this crisis is disgraceful.

On the whole I think there has been very little politicising about the crisis with a slight over-deference (IMO) to the politicians and their scientific experts.

I think early on that was probably the right approach but ultimately we are all dependent on our politicians and leaders and it is right now (again IMO) to start asking questions about our particular lot.

Try taking politics out of it if you live in the USA or Brazil

• Since we have no idea if any alternative government would have handled this crisis differently, it’s pointless and somewhat distasteful to make political comparisons. Incidentally, to talk about Tory ‘spin’ in a thread about Alastair Campbell (remember Iraq and WMD) is laughably hypocritical.

• Sorry @glasshalffull i wasn’t saying we should make (Internal) political comparisons, I agree that isn’t appropriate. I am saying it is reasonable to question and debate the decisions and actions that our politicians and leaders make and take in the context of the political and social environment that has got us to where we currently are.

• The government's handling of the crisis is disgraceful.

• @bookertease said:
    Sorry @glasshalffull i wasn’t saying we should make (Internal) political comparisons, I agree that isn’t appropriate. I am saying it is reasonable to question and debate the decisions and actions that our politicians and leaders make and take in the context of the political and social environment that has got us to where we currently are.

I wasn’t actually referring to your post @bookertease but thanks for responding with a reasoned and articulate point. Of course questions should be asked but only when the full facts have emerged should any blame (if necessary) be apportioned. Some people look for any excuse to attack the government simply because they have a different political perspective.

• @Chris said:
    The government's handling of the crisis is disgraceful.

To be honest, if Boris Johnson himself came up with a cure for coronavirus within a week of it emerging Labour supporters would still complain it wasnt quick enough and was a disgrace.