Skip to content

Historical Kits

Following on from Blunt Phil's excellent kit question in his Chairtastic quiz, can anyone plug the gaps of manufacturers between 1982 and 1987 on here?
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Wycombe_Wanderers/Wycombe_Wanderers.htm

Comments

• 30 years since, weve played in the light blue shirts,navy shorts,light blue socks.
    We wore versions of that strip for 34 years, a time for something different and a change back to the light blue shirts ?

• Not for me.... love the quarters, makes us stand out from other boring kits

• edited April 2020

I love the 89-90 one, but the argyle pattern just makes me think of a certain team. We're sticking with O'Neills for next season, but maybe they could mix it up a bit and add a collar? I'd like to see the swan incorporated again somehow, just maybe less consipcuously than the current design (although I'm in I expect a minority who like it).

• My favourite was 05-07, shame about the sponsor but lovely non-shiny material. The white bits added to it too

• I liked the light blue shorts in 05-09

• @ChasHarps said:
    30 years since, weve played in the light blue shirts,navy shorts,light blue socks.
    We wore versions of that strip for 34 years, a time for something different and a change back to the light blue shirts ?

Those of us who have the privilege of being supporters from the pre league / Loakes Park era will always hold a candle for the non quarters kit. But quarters make us stand out from the crowd and are synonymous with our rise up the pyramid. How about a retro light blue shirt / dark blue shorts as an alternative kit for cup competitions as an homage to the Middlesbrough cup run?

• I was pre league/ leakes park era.... so I must be the odd one out as I prefer the quarters. Dont get me wrong I like the Light Blue tops from that era, but prefer the quarters as you say, people know who we are as soon as they see the kit. Like your idea of maybe bringing the old one out for the odd occasion though !

• Loakes.... bloody auto correct !

• @perfidious_albion Do you work at the “Excellent Ideas” factory?

• Always remember the plain light blue shirts with affection, but was never sure about the pale yellow (and earlier, red) numbers on the back. They corresponded with our predominant away colours at the time, but they always seemed wrong on the home shirts.

• I have been thinking on the same lines as @perfidious_albion

The club is looking for extra revenue, the idea of an alternative home kit is very appealing in my mind. To be used in cup competitions and on special occasions?

Light blue shirt / Dark blue shorts / Light blue socks

Something like this?
    https://www.toffs.com/shop-by-team/football/league-one/wycombe-wanderers/wycombe-wanderers-1974-1977-retro-football-shirt

Instead of having the logo on shirt - just have WWFC on shirt?

Has the goalkeeper shirt ever been a quartered design?
    The goalkeeper shirt to be quartered for the alternative kit?

Hope we always keep our quartered shirts, that´s Wycombe for me.

I love the plain Adidas kit from 1979-1980, displayed here:

Can we go for Adidas after O´Neills?

• edited April 2020

We'd really be joining the big boys if we got Adidas kits in League One! Hummel (who've done sort of quartered shirts for Cov this season) or Erreà would be great as they do more bespoke designs.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I was pre league/ leakes park era.... so I must be the odd one out as I prefer the quarters. Dont get me wrong I like the Light Blue tops from that era, but prefer the quarters as you say, people know who we are as soon as they see the kit. Like your idea of maybe bringing the old one out for the odd occasion though !

I think the vast majority of us from the Loakes Park era prefer the quarters, as others have said our identity is embedded with it, but that doesn’t stop us having fond memories of the plight blue shirts/dark blue shorts combo (the mid 70s collar a favourite)

Personally I would be fine with a limited return to a similar strip but I also like @perfumesamedida’d idea

• It still annoys me that the O'Neill kits can't get the darker quarters right

How hard can it be to produce navy blue? It's unforgivable

• O’Neills have turned their production over to making PPE for the NHS and their shop floor staff are working their arses off to get much needed kit out.

• . How about a retro light blue shirt / dark blue shorts as an alternative kit for cup competitions as an homage to the Middlesbrough cup run?

I like the idea but Sods law would dictate a round one exit in all cup competitions in the season it happened though.

Much like the season we had halves rather than quarters I feel a season long special edition to commemorate something would better in terms of actual usage or addition revenue from sales.

• @bookertease said:

Personally I would be fine with a limited return to a similar strip but I also like @perfumesamedida’d idea

If nothing else comes from this thread I like the idea that I could change my ‘handle’ -@perfumesamedida’d has a certain ring to it!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    We'd really be joining the big boys if we got Adidas kits in League One! Hummel (who've done sort of quartered shirts for Cov this season) or Erreà would be great as they do more bespoke designs.

-- Many clubs have been beset with supply issues from Hummel and I've also read complaints about the poor quality of production too. Having said that, the Hummel designs always look smart.

However, I like the fact that O'Neills do provide bespoke design for us but the two kits so far haven't been the correct palette. The light blue on the first was too bright (almost a turquoise within in it) and the dark blue on the current kit is too light. The current kit is also ruined by the appalling sponsorship colouring in red. A total design cock-up which should never have been signed off. Yes, it's the colour of the sponsors themselves but it looks hideous.

As a variance to quarters we should do one-offs (similar to the 125th anniversary shirt in 2012 which was an excellent shirt) to mark our history. As many have said, quartered-style shirts are only a part of our make-up. The quarters maybe synonymous with recent success, or of the FA Amateur Cup sides of the 1950's but the sole, light blue design was represented by our dominant Isthmian sides in the 60's and 70's. I honestly would like us to revert back to that for a couple of seasons and not just ignore our history. We don't always have to wear quarters!

Alternatively, take a look back 100 years to the 1921/1922 kits. Wearing that for one season would be a nod to our past and to break the quartered cycle once in a while. Those designs are also unique and eye-catching.

A one-off cup kit, in my opinion, wouldn't work (as per comments on getting knocked out of the cup straight away or having to wear yellow anyhow if drawn away to a team who also play in blue!).

• A decent range of retro kits would sell well in my opinion

They could start with each of the FA Trophy winning shirts

• @FFS_Sido said:

However, I like the fact that O'Neills do provide bespoke design for us

Well, I know that some clubs seem to get such a templated design that literally the only thing that changes is the colour, sponsor logo and the club badge.

But in terms of the actual physical design of the shirt (I’m not talking the printing that goes on top but the collar, sleeve style etc) I think every single O’Neill’s shirt has been exactly the same, no?

I own the white and the “tomato soup” change kits, the “pinstriped quarters” and latest first choice kits, and the black goalie kit, and they all use the same basic template.

• Yeah, the collar and sleeves are exactly the same style. At least they've tried to mix it up a bit with the quarters - although it might be nice to keep it simple with the next one!

• Nike are the absolute worst for templated designs. Preston, Pompey and Southend all have the same shirt in different colours, and I think was the other season Man City's goalkeeper kit was just Brighton's away kit.

• @raglan said:
    I have been thinking on the same lines as @perfidious_albion

The club is looking for extra revenue, the idea of an alternative home kit is very appealing in my mind. To be used in cup competitions and on special occasions?

Light blue shirt / Dark blue shorts / Light blue socks

Something like this?
    https://www.toffs.com/shop-by-team/football/league-one/wycombe-wanderers/wycombe-wanderers-1974-1977-retro-football-shirt

Instead of having the logo on shirt - just have WWFC on shirt?

Has the goalkeeper shirt ever been a quartered design?
    The goalkeeper shirt to be quartered for the alternative kit?

Hope we always keep our quartered shirts, that´s Wycombe for me.

I love the plain Adidas kit from 1979-1980, displayed here:

Can we go for Adidas after O´Neills?

The Adidas kit from that time was a thing of pure beauty, complete with shiny satin shorts, sadly no badge on the strip at that time.
    Just seeing that kit, brings back memories of Sunny Loakes Park afternoons and hearing a regular string of expletives from the great George Borg !!

• @FFS_Sido said:
    The current kit is also ruined by the appalling sponsorship colouring in red. A total design cock-up which should never have been signed off. Yes, it's the colour of the sponsors themselves but it looks hideous.

I can't imagine Cherry Red Records will remain the shirt sponsors next season. The impression given was that they weren't paying much for their sponsorship (if anything at all?) and that doesn't strike me as something the Couhigs would deem befitting their business model. Whoever they get, let's hope it's a logo with a sympathetic colour palette. Or maybe part of the deal bringing Andrew Howard back in was a return for Beachdean on the front of the shirts?

• Maybe Dormeo could also take on the home sponsorship?

• One thing that always confused me about the ‘enshrined rights’ was that it included quarters, but not light/dark blue.

• The kit worn at Moss Lane, Altrincham, 29 years ago this very day is the template all future kits should be modelled on.

The 1986/87 Isthmian League winning change colours of yellow and Cambridge blue, in a quartered design, should be used when changing away from home.

• The plain kit from the early 1970's for me, it was a superb but simple and unfussy design, trouble is that all shirts now look hideous with the advertising logos on the front.

• Agreed Mr Bandito, Shirt sponsors really detract from the beauty of the shirt, along with names on the back, and all the badges and logo's on the arms, that make the players look like an oversized cub scout .

• As much as I love the the club there is no way I would want to wear a shirt that advertises a small record company or average ice creams.