Skip to content

Sutton Utd Trophy 2nd leg.

Many thanks to the original Gasman for uploading the tie from Gander Green lane.
You forget what a masterful dominant performance it was on a dreadful pitch that day.
We really should have had 6 or 7.
At the end I noticed the fellow with long curly hair all in white being one of the first on the pitch
This particular chap, loved running on the pitch in superfan style, he worked at Parker Knoll when they uprooted to Chipping Norton.
Within 3 years of this game he had returned to Adam's Park as an Oxford fan !!
Arguably the worst case of football Turncoatery since that unmentionable thing from Devon who posts on here switched to Watford in the late 70's.

Comments

• Watching that game again underlined just what a superb player Steve Thompson was, the best £15k we ever spent. That game was also MON's favourite game at his time here.

• I watched the 1st half earlier, great memories. And yes, Steve Thompson was exceptional that day.

• My favourite ever Wycombe player

• edited April 2020

Just before my time (came to be a Chairboy later in life than most) but that was a great watch!

• Interesting post-match interviews with Scotty and MON.

• Brilliant scenes and great memories.

• Was a great watch, good that they got some of the pre-match atmosphere in as my most vivid memory was of them playing Ghostbusters on the tannoy and the Wycombe fans responding with 'Sutton Busters!'

Good music selection overall listening back

• My most vivd memory was practically taking over the nearest pud to the ground. Which may explain why I thought that we were 3 up by half time until I watched those highlights this afternoon!!

• Was it a special cup one or just a bread and butter pud?

• What a game. Convinced we wouldn’t do it travelling down there. Great to see it again.

• Can’t wait for Alty away. At the time, it was my greatest footballing memory. Unbelievable tension. Few could have imagined then what was to come in the (nearly) 30 yrs since...

• Looking forward to it too, before my time but I love watching the build-up to see what they doing terms of atmosphere at other grounds

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Can’t wait for Alty away. At the time, it was my greatest footballing memory. Unbelievable tension. Few could have imagined then what was to come in the (nearly) 30 yrs since...

Alty away was (and probably still is) the pinnacle for me. Partly due to age at the time, but it’s the last time I can remember singing all the way home from a match.

Knowing we were going to Wembley (so few chances in those days) was almost impossible to comprehend.

• We had lost in so many 1/4 and semi finals in both the amateur cup and trophy since 1957. I was convinced we were somehow going to blow it again.
    I have never seen a re run of the match, and it will be interesting if my memory remains in tact. I was particularly worried about Alty's tricky winger Paul Showler.
    My memory says, it was a tremendously professional performance, and I cant remember a serious chance that Alty had.

• I always had in my head that we survived a number of heart-stopping, crazy, ‘bodies on the line’ last ditch goalmouth scrambles towards the end. I’ve also never seen the game since, so it will be interesting to see how ‘scary’ it really was. The fact that the prize was so huge probably meant any forward ball into our half made my heart stop beating at the time.

• edited April 2020

Didn’t they have a striker called Mark Hughes who missed a sitter near the end in front of us? Responded by doing the ‘ahhhhh’ cupped ear thing at us, which was a bit daft under the circumstances. Just remember laughing a lot!

• I remember being wracked with nerves all the way through but also remember thinking as it played out that we were in total control and trying hard not to jinx it by getting confident.

And the history of failed previous attempts to get to Wembley, even when we probably should (Hyde away memories still almost literally make me cry) always hung over it.

Also such a different atmosphere to the previous semi-final at Altrincham. This time it felt like we took the place over. The one 10 years earlier I just remember being walked to the ground from the station by the police and caged in a small corner of the ground.

• Certainly the most nervous I've ever been at a Wycombe match. 90 minutes of gut wrenching tension is the way I remember it!

Looking back, it seemed a thoroughly professional performance. I don't recall Alty causing us too many problems, but of course it didn't feel like that at the time. Going into the match, we were underdogs, so to triumph 4-1 over the 2 legs was a wonderful effort.

Can't wait to relive it all tomorrow

• Good memory jogging @bookertease. That defeat on the plastic at Hyde was a real downer at the time.

• The late great Kevin Durham missing a sitter in the last few minutes to equalise.

• What these trips back through history demonstrate is how great Martin O’Neill was at getting the team up to win the ‘big’ games. If you remember that season we walloped Kettering 5-1 when they had opened the season with something like a 15 game unbeaten run.

Then the Alty semi final, they had moved to the top of the table and looked nailed on for promotion. We were definitely the underdogs, even more so when we went 1 down in the first leg within 5 minutes but Martin was great at motivating the players to believe they could win and they did.

Happy memories indeed.

• I have very fond and vivid memories of the quarter final up at Northwich Victoria. A thrilling 2-3 win in an end to end contest. Again with a huge Wycombe support present. Sadly I don't think any footage of that match exists? Certainly I don't recall ever seeing any even at the time. Shame, as there were some great goals in that game.

• Things I couldn't remember at Moss lane
    1, What a needless corner they gave us for Westys goal.
    2, That their were police horses on the pitch at the end
    3, That baggy Jean's really dont look that good !!

1. When Stuart Cash gets fouled near the camera in the second half, an old chap shouts what sounds like "You bastard, you bastard".

Also, what happened to the Mexico 86 flag, not there in the second half?