Skip to content

Board update Wed 8th April

Comments

• @NewburyWanderer said:

Guess the only problem with moving the camera positions over to the Beechdean side is that you might get some sun glare which would affect picture quality on fine days.

That would also make the Beechdean stand less attractive to sponsorship. Maybe not so easy to get a major name frontage onto the Frank Adams Stand as is.

• @Wendoverman said:
    The reason I choose to sit in (or rather stand at the back of) the Beechdean is not only because of the lovely silence and civilised behaviour of those around me, but also because you have a great view, you are pretty close to the action and can jeer the opposition dug-out...(from where I am anyway) without expending too much effort. Good position for a camera to be sure.

Those poor bastards in front of you must go home covered in half eaten crisps!

• @mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:
    The reason I choose to sit in (or rather stand at the back of) the Beechdean is not only because of the lovely silence and civilised behaviour of those around me, but also because you have a great view, you are pretty close to the action and can jeer the opposition dug-out...(from where I am anyway) without expending too much effort. Good position for a camera to be sure.

Those poor bastards in front of you must go home covered in half eaten crisps!

I was brought up proper. I do not yell abuse whilst eating.

• @AlanCecil said:

That would also make the Beechdean stand less attractive to sponsorship. Maybe not so easy to get a major name frontage onto the Frank Adams Stand as is.

Well in the modern era The United Airlines Stand at The Wanderers Budweiser Bowl might just fund our Championship squad, time to play with the big boys Alan, it’s no longer about scratching around for funding from local trades.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Wendoverman said:

I also ‘stand’ in the back row of the Beechdean, again close enough to have a go at visiting managers, always feels a little bit like shouting in church but guess you must be the other bloke who has a go as well.

Me too. I stand in back row of Beechdean, block C, close enough to make sure the Lino & away dugout can have the benefit of my experience. Also far enough/high enough to have a decent view of the game and watch how the players move off the ball. So that’s three of us.

• About 30% of that stand is Welsh isn't it?

• @perfidious_albion totally agree with the TV camera position, always wondered why we want to look more like a non league outfit rathr than show the FA. Plus if the cameras were pointing that way I might make it onto the telly more often.....think the last time was the pitch invasion v west brom back in the day!

• @mooneyman said:

@DJWYC14 said:
    Great comment from Rob about NOT playing behind closed doors. Totally agree

Better than voiding the season though. I just can't believe the Government will authorise any large gatherings before the end of June unless by some miracle daily deaths get down to single figures. Sorry for being so pessimistic.

Sorry for necro posting a little - I agree that in perfect and ideal circumstances no games would be played behind closed doors

Having said that, we are far from anything close to perfect or ideal circumstances.

On the proviso, and this is key, sports teams can effectively quarantine themselves against the general population and the longer this lockdown continues (or becomes a further harsher lockdown) I can see sports and other limited areas of entertainment will becoming vital in helping the countries mental health. Give people something to look forward to etc.

With the ability to stream football games or other events and with the necessary controls and checks in place, I can see an opportunity to complete the domestic season and bring some entertainment to the country.

• @TheDancingYak - Can sports teams effectively quarantine themselves though? Coaching and other staff, players, officials, medical personnel, broadcasting employees etc all have families. They would all need to be isolated from their families for the duration of the remainder of the season.

Using examples of Grealish and Mourinho, footballers tend not to comply with the rules. However, when a Cabinet minister drives to his country home in Hereford and back plus another journey to see his father this week, they are not setting a very good example!

• @mooneyman said:

However, when a Cabinet minister drives to his country home in Hereford and back plus another journey to see his father this week, they are not setting a very good example!

A bit harsh on the Cabinet minister, if he was acting under government guidelines? Delivering food & medicines to your vulnerable & elderly medicines seems reasonable to me. My wife & I do it a lot for ours, however one lives 3 minute drive away & the other 9 minutes drive away. If said minister is their only lifeline, then it would appear to me, rational.

• I’m never sure what to do with my elderly medicines @EwanHoosaami.
    Apologies for that. Couldn’t resist. And it’s true actually!

• edited April 2020

@EwanHoosaami said:

@mooneyman said:

However, when a Cabinet minister drives to his country home in Hereford and back plus another journey to see his father this week, they are not setting a very good example!

A bit harsh on the Cabinet minister, if he was acting under government guidelines? Delivering food & medicines to your vulnerable & elderly medicines seems reasonable to me. My wife & I do it a lot for ours, however one lives 3 minute drive away & the other 9 minutes drive away. If said minister is their only lifeline, then it would appear to me, rational.

He drove 150 miles from his London residence to his country house in Herefordshire then another 40 miles to his father's house. This, after pleading with the public as a senior Cabinet Minister not to go and see their parents on Mothers Day.

I'm not sure driving such a distance between your two homes is within the Government guidelines, but we will have to agree to disagree on this.

• @mooneyman said:
    @TheDancingYak - Can sports teams effectively quarantine themselves though? Coaching and other staff, players, officials, medical personnel, broadcasting employees etc all have families. They would all need to be isolated from their families for the duration of the remainder of the season.

That would be the challenge of course.
    But I could almost see it being run like a longer World Cup competition Especially if the 56 days to complete season claim is accurate.

Specific Team hotels for each teams. Travel to and from grounds to play games (grounds and games kept secret to deter fans travelling etc). Players, coaches, required staff only. It wouldn’t be impossible to quarantine them but it would present challenges.

• That's very similar to the Premier League's plans. You could base 4-6 teams in a each location and play all the games on a neutral ground in that area.

• Would it even need to be quite so secretive as that @TheDancingYak? If there was a ban in place in not allowing access to the stadia to anyone other than players, managers coaches and medical staff, plus separately the media crews.
    With the officials responsible for reporting any clubs breaking those rules and fines (points deductions?) for clubs not following the ban.
    Fans aren't going to travel to somewhere that won't allow access and if pubs/clubs/restaurants are still also shut, which is quite likely, what would be the point in doing so?
    Since players are going to be in the category of fit, young(ish), no underlying health issues (probably) they should be amongst the most robust demographic in society. I agree that managers and medical staff, being possibly older and/or less fit, might be at more risk but that would have to be mitigated.
    There isn't much reason for the media to have to interact with those involved in the game and I'm sure they might have to limit the number of interviews etc but it's doable.
    The country can't remain in the current level of lockdown until herd immunity is acquired or a vaccine developed (might take something like 2 years at the current rate of progress).
    At some point we will have to try and move forward - being able to live stream sport to the masses who are still only leaving home to work/buy food/obtain medical care is likely to form part of the solution to partially lifting the lockdown at the beginning.

I certainly hope so anyway!

After about 10 days of not watching the daily Coronavirus updates or checking the gasroom and club website for new details I've begun to relapse and have started to indulge in idle speculation again.

It's going to be a long weekend ...

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@mooneyman said:

We'd have to hear the full truth i think. But it definitely does not look too good for him with the distances involved plus nipping in home while he's at it.

• @Twizz said:
    Would it even need to be quite so secretive as that @TheDancingYak? If there was a ban in place in not allowing access to the stadia to anyone other than players, managers coaches and medical staff, plus separately the media crews.
    With the officials responsible for reporting any clubs breaking those rules and fines (points deductions?) for clubs not following the ban.
    Fans aren't going to travel to somewhere that won't allow access and if pubs/clubs/restaurants are still also shut, which is quite likely, what would be the point in doing so?
    Since players are going to be in the category of fit, young(ish), no underlying health issues (probably) they should be amongst the most robust demographic in society. I agree that managers and medical staff, being possibly older and/or less fit, might be at more risk but that would have to be mitigated.
    There isn't much reason for the media to have to interact with those involved in the game and I'm sure they might have to limit the number of interviews etc but it's doable.
    The country can't remain in the current level of lockdown until herd immunity is acquired or a vaccine developed (might take something like 2 years at the current rate of progress).
    At some point we will have to try and move forward - being able to live stream sport to the masses who are still only leaving home to work/buy food/obtain medical care is likely to form part of the solution to partially lifting the lockdown at the beginning.

I certainly hope so anyway!

After about 10 days of not watching the daily Coronavirus updates or checking the gasroom and club website for new details I've begun to relapse and have started to indulge in idle speculation again.

It's going to be a long weekend ...

I think you underestimate the stupidity/ passion of football fans, and politicians view of them. If/ when Liverpool win the prem and Leeds get promoted, there's guaranteed to be gatherings outside the matches, and then in the streets.

• @Twizz said:.

I reserve the right to answer that after this weekend and how many people end up in groups at beaches or parks contrary to government advice.

I’m expecting this to last for months more rather than weeks more - we have already seen figures that domestic violence has risen by 25% and I fear for the suicide rate climbing as many with mental health issues have had there coping strategies removed.

Sport could be used as a beacon of light, hope and signal that things are improving - once we are over the worst of the infection spread.

• I think there will be gatherings of a different kind if Liverpool don't win the league.

• @Username said:

I think you underestimate the stupidity/ passion of football fans, and politicians view of them. If/ when Liverpool win the prem and Leeds get promoted, there's guaranteed to be gatherings outside the matches, and then in the streets.

Tbh, that’s a very fair point.

Getting the games played is probably the easy bit. Controlling those victorious teams fans not so much.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I think there will be gatherings of a different kind if Liverpool don't win the league.

Another reason to continually say that your aim is to finish the league even if you know there's a real possibility (or even probability) that it won't.

• @Username said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I think there will be gatherings of a different kind if Liverpool don't win the league.

Another reason to continually say that your aim is to finish the league even if you know there's a real possibility (or even probability) that it won't.

Without any doubt at all, they have to be seen as exhausting every single possibility. Which is why we continually get all these leaks of various ideas, however ludicrous.

23 team Premier league?
    Losing money?
    Awarding positions?
    Average points per game?
    No relegations?

Before a final, "we tried, but we have to bin it".

Has to be in the balance, unless the optimist scientists are right - and we want them to be of course!

• I suppose the promotion parties and/or league winning parties could be an issue. But they might happen under any scenario if the leagues are completed.
    You don't need to know the venue of the match if you decide to go out and celebrate the outcome. If Leeds or Liverpool fans for example want to congregate for a party aren't they likely to do so at Elland Road or Anfield anyway?
    If you want to stop those gatherings taking place then you have to prevent the leagues from concluding their fixtures - and that decision would have to taken by the government as the leagues are all pretty much saying they want to finish the fixtures.
    I'm just saying if the leagues complete behind closed doors there doesn't need to be all this time/place unknown element. Even if they did do that do you not think that fans would be trying to second guess the locations? That would potentially be worse as you could have fans moving between several different locations trying to watch matches that don't actually take place.

FYI, I know fans are stupid. I've know many for years and I consider myself as a fan too. My wife has always maintained that I'm stupid!

• @Twizz said:
    I suppose the promotion parties and/or league winning parties could be an issue. But they might happen under any scenario if the leagues are completed.
    You don't need to know the venue of the match if you decide to go out and celebrate the outcome. If Leeds or Liverpool fans for example want to congregate for a party aren't they likely to do so at Elland Road or Anfield anyway?
    If you want to stop those gatherings taking place then you have to prevent the leagues from concluding their fixtures - and that decision would have to taken by the government as the leagues are all pretty much saying they want to finish the fixtures.
    I'm just saying if the leagues complete behind closed doors there doesn't need to be all this time/place unknown element. Even if they did do that do you not think that fans would be trying to second guess the locations? That would potentially be worse as you could have fans moving between several different locations trying to watch matches that don't actually take place.

FYI, I know fans are stupid. I've know many for years and I consider myself as a fan too. My wife has always maintained that I'm stupid!

While we're at the most critical time period, no decision is probably the best decision.

• An alternative suggestion (based on an afternoon sat on the sun and not drinking any alcohol).

Base next season on the existing league set ups. Play the new season throughout normally (if possible) but those that were missing from 19/20 count twice. So you end up with final league tables for this season. So that cold Tuesday night meaningless trip to Accrington in Feb 2021 suddenly has the possibility of elevating us to yo the heights of 11th next season and 3rd this season.

Loads of fun (and hundreds of flaws)

• @bookertease said:
    An alternative suggestion (based on an afternoon sat on the sun and not drinking any alcohol).

Base next season on the existing league set ups. Play the new season throughout normally (if possible) but those that were missing from 19/20 count twice. So you end up with final league tables for this season. So that cold Tuesday night meaningless trip to Accrington in Feb 2021 suddenly has the possibility of elevating us to yo the heights of 11th next season and 3rd this season.

You want games to count twice? Over two separate seasons?!

Got to be up there with the maddest to date.

• @Malone said:

@bookertease said:
    An alternative suggestion (based on an afternoon sat on the sun and not drinking any alcohol).

You want games to count twice? Over two separate seasons?!

Could have a massive 12 pointer against Oxford!

• edited April 2020

@bookertease said:
    based on an afternoon sat on the sun

These 'no essential travel' warnings just don't get through to some people ;)

• Wouldn't those twice counted games still give an advantage to teams with a softer run in? It is almost similar to PPG as far as imbalancing the schedule. Still, the most imaginative one yet, @bookertease!

• @Malone said:

Looking forward to my job offer from the EFL in the next post...