Skip to content

Board update Wed 8th April

Comments

• I don't know if anyone can confirm, but I seem to remember hearing we have planning permission to expand the Beechdean. Tbh, if not there, where would you be able to add capacity?

• @Glenactico the way I heard it was that it seemed that Smyth and Ofoborh were likely to be replaced by players of the same calibre, as he said ‘some loanees will go back’, then mentioned those two by name. Not 100% clear on that though... Earlier, Rob seemed to suggest we would get ‘everyone’ under contract eventually - but that was a vague statement, made before the specific question was deferred to Gareth. Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick, wouldn’t be the first time!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I don't know if anyone can confirm, but I seem to remember hearing we have planning permission to expand the Beechdean. Tbh, if not there, where would you be able to add capacity?

I might be wrong, but I have always been under the impression that foundations were put in that would enable all sides to be two tiered. But, it's not the ground that's the problem is it, its the access.

• The only access solution is to work with the Council to improve Hillbottom Rd. This would require a ‘2:1 Three Lane Switched one way system‘ - ‘in’ 12.00- 4.00 / ‘out’ 4.00- 7.00, if you have ever crossed the Taymar bridge into Cornwall this is what happens, it would mean the one reverse lane could still give emergency services access. Getting cooperation from business on the industrial estate is the issue, especially for midweek games. As a public highway this is not easy to implement but possible. There would also be ongoing policing / stewarding cost implications.
    The 10k capacity could then be progressed by replacing lost capacity in away end and Frank Adams, mostly just broken seats. In addition moving media to the top of the Frank Adams (something Bill T talked about with Phil C in a recent RTB’s podcast) would open up the area in the Beechdean occupied by these facilities. There is no need for major costly construction / engineering to achieve this, although the open corners of the ground could be reconfigured on a temporary basis (think Gillingham) to add 500 more seats.
    Bringing the Chairboys Village inside the ground is a fairly simple exercise. The area near the entrance to the Beechdean / Valley End / access to Frank Adams is a mess and needs sorting anyway. A rebuild to incorporate this space and the current temporary Village by moving turnstiles / exit gates out into the current car park is an doable summer job, sadly that manky old supports trust caravan with the odd double glazed windows and the old disused programme box and vending pod would have to go!
    The consultants that have been brought in to look at the whole thing are ‘best in class’ and will do a superb job given the correct resources.

• There was talk of giving businesses - not sure if the ones from the Village or not - individual concessions within the ground, but you wouldn't be able to get everything in every stand as you've obviously only got one or two kiosks in each. But I assume we'll be getting rid of the current catering providers.

• Also I feel the club could project the stadium in a more positive light to tv audiences by moving the camera position. Current position to be taken up by media, commentary, stats etc by far the best view for these functions (as mentioned above freeing up seating capacity near the tunnel in the B’dean). Cameras to be moved to a new facility (temporary) built over the Beechdean, This camera position facing the Frank Adams would show off Adams Park as a Championship ground not, as the current backdrop of the Beechdean suggests, a Conference ground. This may sound superficial and unnecessary but if the objective is attracting floating fans to a ‘game day experience’ then Quest tv coverage / social media streaming of game day action in a big time environment is the best shop window available.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    The only access solution is to work with the Council to improve Hillbottom Rd.

Surely one easily implemented option to improve the exit flow would be to enforce the current "No Parking" on the double yellow lines along Hillbottom Rd. Particularly the lorry trailers which are regularly abandoned and then apparently ignored by the authorities.

• @HomerLone said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    The only access solution is to work with the Council to improve Hillbottom Rd.

Surely one easily implemented option to improve the exit flow would be to enforce the current "No Parking" on the double yellow lines along Hillbottom Rd. Particularly the lorry trailers which are regularly abandoned and then apparently ignored by the authorities.

Early on in the new regime I spoke with Mark Palmer about that, remember him, he said the Council had agreed to enforce this but it the club was in no position to demand action. Unfortunately relationships with the Council had been allowed to deteriorate over the past couple of seasons (probably due to a lack of funds, resource, identification of management responsibility) so it was a slow process to rebuild relationships. The same issues go for the bus company re park and ride, things had been allowed to slide.

All plans re ground access were being considered at the time, including the radical ‘solution’ of closing the car parks all together and making Adams Park access by foot only!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @Glenactico the way I heard it was that it seemed that Smyth and Ofoborh were likely to be replaced by players of the same calibre, as he said ‘some loanees will go back’, then mentioned those two by name. Not 100% clear on that though... Earlier, Rob seemed to suggest we would get ‘everyone’ under contract eventually - but that was a vague statement, made before the specific question was deferred to Gareth. Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick, wouldn’t be the first time!

You may be right. I interpreted it as ‘we would like to sign both, but they may go back, and if so we want equivalent replacements’. But it could be that we already know we can’t keep them.

• Go up and I think there's every chance Ofoborh comes back on loan again, but I'd expect Smyth to head back to QPR and push on - I was slightly surprised we got him for the whole season.

• I'd be sad to see the supporter's caravan go.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    I'd be sad to see the supporter's caravan go.

Not sure Rob could be persuaded that it is key to the World Wide Wycombe Fan Experience.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    I'd be sad to see the supporter's caravan go.

I thought it was protected with a listed building order!

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Also I feel the club could project the stadium in a more positive light to tv audiences by moving the camera position. Current position to be taken up by media, commentary, stats etc by far the best view for these functions (as mentioned above freeing up seating capacity near the tunnel in the B’dean). Cameras to be moved to a new facility (temporary) built over the Beechdean, This camera position facing the Frank Adams would show off Adams Park as a Championship ground not, as the current backdrop of the Beechdean suggests, a Conference ground. This may sound superficial and unnecessary but if the objective is attracting floating fans to a ‘game day experience’ then Quest tv coverage / social media streaming of game day action in a big time environment is the best shop window available.

Guess the only problem with moving the camera positions over to the Beechdean side is that you might get some sun glare which would affect picture quality on fine days.

• Is Smyth not out of contract with QPR end of season or did I make that up?

• to be honest, if they get rid of the old programme shop, I might stop coming.

• Some excellent information and suggestions from @perfidious_albion. An entirely personal thing, but I've always wanted the club to be in a position to improve the Beechdean. If the home and away ends could be roughly the same height, and the Beechdean have some height added also, we'd have a nice stadium ready for the step up.

When we were fighting to stay in the league, this was pure fantasy on my part. But now...

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Some excellent information and suggestions from @perfidious_albion. An entirely personal thing, but I've always wanted the club to be in a position to improve the Beechdean. If the home and away ends could be roughly the same height, and the Beechdean have some height added also, we'd have a nice stadium ready for the step up.

When we were fighting to stay in the league, this was pure fantasy on my part. But now...

I thought one big obstacle is the safety certificate due to the access issue.

Would we even look at trying to put a massive new stand in? Or would we look elsewhere at other sites?

• @Malone said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    Some excellent information and suggestions from @perfidious_albion. An entirely personal thing, but I've always wanted the club to be in a position to improve the Beechdean. If the home and away ends could be roughly the same height, and the Beechdean have some height added also, we'd have a nice stadium ready for the step up.

I thought one big obstacle is the safety certificate due to the access issue.

Would we even look at trying to put a massive new stand in? Or would we look elsewhere at other sites?

I think there's definitely space but the concourse and hospitality etc would spill into the current car park. So they'd either have to make improvements to the upper field or secure more official parking down Hillbottom Road I'd think?

• @Malone My fantasy didn't extend to a "massive new stand" - just something a bit bigger than the 6 row Conference job we currently have.

• Am I the only one that doesn't think we need a bigger ground?

• @Tom said:
    Am I the only one that doesn't think we need a bigger ground?

All the noise is around becoming more sustainable by increasing crowds, if we went up and played against bigger names you'd hope we'd attract more home and away fans.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Go up and I think there's every chance Ofoborh comes back on loan again, but I'd expect Smyth to head back to QPR and push on - I was slightly surprised we got him for the whole season.

I do quite admire your persistent optimism that somehow there is the possibility that promotion and relegation for 'this' season will eventually happen.

• We dont need a bigger ground at the moment, but it is sensible to have plans fully formed so that work can start immediately should we ever get promotion.

• Some excellent posts above from Perdifious Albion. I remember suggesting something similar to his idea of opening up two lanes into and out of the stadium pre and post match when I was on the board. We were told that it wasn’t possible because of the need to have access for emergency vehicles and because the police weren’t prepared to control traffic flow at the roundabout at the end of Hillbottom Road. Since then traffic islands have been built down the centre of the road making such a solution even more difficult to achieve.
    I also agree with his point about repositioning the TV gantry and I think that would be a relatively easy and inexpensive thing to do, but obviously we’ll down the list of priorities.

• The reason I choose to sit in (or rather stand at the back of) the Beechdean is not only because of the lovely silence and civilised behaviour of those around me, but also because you have a great view, you are pretty close to the action and can jeer the opposition dug-out...(from where I am anyway) without expending too much effort. Good position for a camera to be sure.

• Assuming that you’re being sarcastic Wendoverman, any TV gantry on the Beachdean stand would obviously be built above the roof level to give a good angle for cameras and not obscure the views of any spectators.

• Really appreciated that update last night. The more the communication and engagement with fans the better and I think he speaks really well. Matt Cecil also very good at those sorts of things

• @Wendoverman said:
    The reason I choose to sit in (or rather stand at the back of) the Beechdean is not only because of the lovely silence and civilised behaviour of those around me, but also because you have a great view, you are pretty close to the action and can jeer the opposition dug-out...(from where I am anyway) without expending too much effort. Good position for a camera to be sure.

I also ‘stand’ in the back row of the Beechdean, again close enough to have a go at visiting managers, always feels a little bit like shouting in church but guess you must be the other bloke who has a go as well.

• I only mumble angrily in church @perfidious_albion but there is someone who sits a few rows in front of me who is very vocal with regard to the weight, redness of face and need to get back in box/ sit down of visiting managers.