Skip to content

Season extended indefinitely

Comments

• @DevC @chairboyscentral both crucial questions, the answer that virologists are giving is that, they just don't know what will happen over the summer. It's too novel a virus to be definitive. They're watching the southern hemisphere for clues, particularly NZ over the next few months as its climate mirrors ours. They're basing their presumptions on how other coronaviruses like SARS and the common flu have operated, and they generally spread less in the warmer months. As to @drcongo's SARS post, he may well be right. I was given to understand that the reason it was eradicated was because it was a very stable virus, it didn't mutate at all, and so when a vaccine was developed it was very effective. But I'm also not a scientist so may well have misunderstood.

• @mooneyman said:
    There may be a slowing of the spread of virus in the summer simply because people tend to spend less time in enclosed spaces.

Isn't that the opposite logic to what we are being asked to do now. I'd read the warmer weather theory and whilst it works for flu bugs its unproven on this virus.

• The disease is spreading through Brazil, Dubai, Iran, Australia, Malaysia at varying rates but not too dissimilar form our own - I don't see warm weather doing much good.

• A popular theory seems to be that it’s more about humidity than temperature and that typically (not known in the case of Covid-19) airborne viruses hang around more/longer when the humidity is higher. Which in the UK is apparently winter (or entirely the opposite way round as it’s just something I read in passing the other day).

One difference to @aloysius’s theory might be if they ever get their act together with the anti-body tests (unlikely I appreciate) and start to issue ‘passports’ to people who have been known to have been infected and are theoretically immune.

I could see a situation where games are played but only ‘immune’ people can attend. Obviously this is very much a minor by-product of being able to travel to work etc.

• @ChasHarps said:

@bookertease said:
    From memory must be mid to late 70s. Every year we played Corinthian Casuals and would win about 7-0 as they were always bottom of the league

When we won the league in 73/74 St Albans and Casuals were relegated. St Albans didnt return for 12 years, Casuals never have.

Thanks @ChasHarps. I’m guessing that must be when Rothmans came in and sponsored the league?

• That's correct @bookertease, The isthmian lge was the first to introduce lge sponsorship in 73/74. A 2nd division of 16 clubs was formed in 73/74. Dagenham and Slough were promoted that season. Daggers never finished out of the top 3 in those three seasons where it was known as Div 1, where as that mucky lot from Wexham were much more midtable fodder. The league expanded again 77/78 and it became known as the Isthmian Prem.

• I had read the other day that it was warm/hot, humid weather that had the potential for reducing the threat. Also, the lengthening days in the northern hemisphere was not considered beneficial to the survival of the virus outside its host because of the increased amount of UV light around. It's also likely to survive for a shorter length of time on outside surfaces when the temperature is 'high', apparently. But as others have pointed out, it's currently only theoretical, and I haven't read any opinion which expects our summer weather to wipe it out.

• Looks like Belgium is the first European country to make a decision. Top flight cancelled, although they were on 29/30 games so have basically just foregone their play-off stage (bit of a weird set-up over there).

• edited April 2020

EFL (and PL) seasons now formally suspended indefinitely, but this reads to me like they're committing to finishing but not putting a date on it (the right call imo), which they obviously can't anyway at the moment: "The situation will be kept under constant review with matches only returning at an appropriate point and based on the latest guidance provided by the relevant Government departments and health authorities." https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11968137/coronavirus-efl-and-womens-super-league-seasons-suspended-indefinitely-until-it-is-safe-to-resume

• Will be interesting to see whether the anger over footballers wages will move on to other high earners who are putting their staff on furlough whilst claiming their full pay.
    Football would have been fine if it was consistent to all staff but lets see what happens elsewhere in industry

• Daniel Levy must be the most disgusting and selfish billionaire in the world.

• @mooneyman said:
    Daniel Levy must be the most disgusting and selfish billionaire in the world.

That will be a hard earned title this year more than most, several contenders. Although Joe Lewis is the background billionaire not Levy in this case.

• edited April 2020

@StrongestTeam said:

@mooneyman said:

That will be a hard earned title this year more than most, several contenders. Although Joe Lewis is the background billionaire not Levy in this case.

Levy is the Chairman though, so I would suggest tha he had some involvement in the decision to cut the wages of non playing staff! Whilst now the minority shareholder, Levy is still generally reported to be a billionaire.

• @mooneyman said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@mooneyman said:

Levy is the Chairman though, so I would suggest tha he had some involvement in the decision to cut the wages of non playing staff! Whilst now the minority shareholder, Levy is still generally reported to be a billionaire.

Yeah, that seems to be right (if estimated) , I thought he was just the employee but he seems to have had his own businesses previously and various partnerships. Either way, He's got plenty of money as his business and his partners have, and he's handled this appallingly.

His announcement was made as they announced financial results, See some clubs have used the new rules to swerve even announcing those.

Seemed like Hancock's pronouncement was in answer to a direct question at a conference involving more important matters rather than him singling out footballers but they are an easy target and the dithering PFA and league should have seen this all coming.

• I wonder if Gordon Taylor will be pressured into taking a pay cut. His £2 million salary is pretty obscene.

• Given that Gordon Taylor announced he was stepping down a year ago, yet is still there, I'd say he is unlikely to be swayed by outside pressure to do anything not in his own interest.
    Also, it's reported, he was advising players NOT to take any salary cuts.

The greediest pigs always get their snout into the trough the deepest.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I wonder if Gordon Taylor will be pressured into taking a pay cut. His £2 million salary is pretty obscene.

I think every high paid CEO should take a page cut if they choose to use the Government furlough scheme for their staff. Not just the ones we have a beef against. Every one of them.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I wonder if Gordon Taylor will be pressured into taking a pay cut. His £2 million salary is pretty obscene.

I think every high paid CEO should take a page cut if they choose to use the Government furlough scheme for their staff. Not just the ones we have a beef against. Every one of them.

Should really be factored in to the scheme, unfortunately some of the "characters" involved would probably rather lay people off.

• Should really be factored in to the scheme.

I wonder why it isn't. ?

• edited April 2020

A month and a bit later, they furlough some of their non-playing staff. Piss-take doesn't do it justice.

• There is no soul in the PL. Just awful stuff.

• PFA statement hilarious, one of the reasons players can't take a pay cut is because they are concerned that would involve them having to pay less to the exchequer. They aren't all w@nkers so you have to assume some level of good faith but it all makes a lot more sense if you don't.

https://www.thepfa.com/news/2020/4/4/pfa-statement-on-behalf-of-premier-league-players

• I can see why it may not be as black and white as it might seem. Most top flight teams are owned by a wealthy foreign owner. Taking a pay cut only helps the owners really, unless there is a guarantee that they will use the savings on player wages to retain other staff on full pay or top up their furlough payments to the equivalent.

As a premier league player I’d probably rather make a charitable donation or hand a share of my wages direct to the non playing staff that are laid off. I’m sure they will want to make an agreement to do something collectively so that they can do that as fairly, efficiently and evenly as possible.

• Good to actually see a lot of fans of Liverpool and Spurs have come out strongly against their clubs for using the government support in this way. Not only have they absolutely taken the piss, but they've also thrown their players under a bus by announcing this before any action has been agreed by the players.

You do wonder if society will see top flight football very differently when all this is over. Perhaps fans will better understand that the billionaires who run these clubs, in too many cases, care very little for the communities they claim to represent. Then again, I'm probably a dreamer...

• I can't imagine Klopp will be happy either. As manager, he's not going to speak out, but it's completely at odds with what he seems to believe in.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I can't imagine Klopp will be happy either. As manager, he's not going to speak out, but it's completely at odds with what he seems to believe in.

What does Klopp believe in out of interest?

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Good to actually see a lot of fans of Liverpool and Spurs have come out strongly against their clubs for using the government support in this way. Not only have they absolutely taken the piss, but they've also thrown their players under a bus by announcing this before any action has been agreed by the players.

You do wonder if society will see top flight football very differently when all this is over. Perhaps fans will better understand that the billionaires who run these clubs, in too many cases, care very little for the communities they claim to represent. Then again, I'm probably a dreamer...

Imagine a world with less pollution, less capitalist greed, prioritising the real heroes - the nurses and docs etc, over pampered millionaire players...

Now that's dreaming!

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I can't imagine Klopp will be happy either. As manager, he's not going to speak out, but it's completely at odds with what he seems to believe in.

What does Klopp believe in out of interest?

Well he's quite openly left-wing https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/undercover-liverpool-talks-texting-de-13942760