Skip to content

Season extended indefinitely

Comments

• A vaccine will not be ready in sufficient doses until the end of the year at the earliest.

The virus isn't miraculously going away in the meantime, so whilst the current lockdown may be relaxed, I can't see any major public gatherings being allowed. What is the point of completing the season behind closed doors perhaps in Autumn this year. How are clubs at our level going to be able to pay the players with no gate money coming in?

• But they have to pay the players regardless of whether they're playing or not, so surely you're going to have the same problem with no football or behind closed doors football.

• You dont have to pay any players if their contracts expire in June though. This could be the difference between a clubs survival and demise.

• I will continue to beat the "finish the season" drum, along with @chairboyscentral. It is literally insane to me to consider voiding the season. It achieves nothing. It does not make next season any more stable, with the threat of coronavirus still likely to be around for a while. It leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of everyone. Just continue to play the season, whenever we can play again, whether next month, the autumn, the winter, or even next year. It's ten games. Then, play as much of the next one as possible before any inevitable pause.

Yes, there are far more important things going on, and football has to cut it's cloth according to what is going on in the wider world. This make flexibility even more important, and also making sure that all games matter.

I would rather the mess of sorting out contracts and sponsorships, than the mess of games being struck off the record forever, perhaps for two seasons in a row, with the inevitable legal challenges to any future relegations that would arise.

• It's a mess either way, if you cancel the remaining games you have to refund tickets, hospitality and sponsors payments potentially. Anything paid for per game.
    Looks like FIFA are going to mandate some kind of furlough for contracts. You can mess around with ways to delay or limit next season, for Prem club that almost certainly would include no league cup and maybe no winter break. Maybe it could all just back up a bit for a year or two.
    Main argument for not cancelling other than simple integrity is just that if you do that this year you then might also need to do it next year and then records and titles, and sponsors and other contracts get messy quickly.
    Really not much point deciding anything until we know if things could be better in 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years.

• One of the problems of finishing the season ‘whenever’ is that it means that a new season can’t start until that season has finished.

I appreciate in the grand scheme of things this isn’t important (but potentially critical for some clubs) but until you finish this season you can’t sell season tickets for the next one.

I appreciate we ST holders may be entitled to a refund if the season ends unfinished but I would imagine this will more likely be offered as a discount on a (probably optimistic) 20/21 season ticket - in whatever form that takes.

I’m in the ‘I’d rather see the season played out’ camp but I can see arguments against.

I can see us playing in something like a 16 team league in 20/21 in tier 3 or 4 of a 6 tier EPL/EFL

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2020

@fame_46 I understand the situation perfectly thanks. If you saw how rigorously I'm following the government rules, watching the news and reading in detail about it, you'd see that. Frankly, I find you implying that I need to lose someone close to me in order to "take a reality check" incredibly distasteful.

This is a football forum; people are going to discuss football. No one's in any haste for football to return, but I'm sure we'd all like normality to return as soon as possible - and football is a big part of normality. And what about everyone else about discussing PPG and other 'solutions'? I'm not sure what your problem with me is, but I'm not going to be talked down to by a packet of pork scratchings.

• edited March 2020

@fame_46 I'm not sure why you feel the need to target me - and not for the first time. Everyone's discussing the same subject on here, where's their lecture? Football is a massive part of my life, for reasons you'll have no idea of, so I am going to comment on it - although maybe not on here anymore as some seem to think it's their place to condescend and snipe at others.

• Quite right to cut back on the importance of what happens to the football as this unfolds before us but no need to be aggressively having a go at people speculating on what happens to football on a football forum which should be a bit of relief for people at this time. We've all got plenty going on and many more people look set to be affected so try and keep it nice wether you agree with everything or not.

• @fame_46 said:

I wonder if the 660k infected people think its important or thousands of NHS staff on their knees currently. Football is a game at the end of the day, it will return for better for worse.

This is a football forum though. It exists for the purpose of discussing football. Specifically Wycombe Wanderers and their concerns, which @chairboyscentral does very admirably, adding to the forum with fact and opinion as should be the case. Long may that, and the introspection upon criticism, continue.

Show a bit of class and maybe nip down to Wycombe hospital tomorrow to ask if there is anything you can do to help, rather than bleating on about contracts and PPG scenarios.

This is exactly what the government is warning against, defeating the purpose of self isolation (the now near universally accepted method for flattening the curve thereby taking pressure off the NHS) and putting society more at risk.

Your stats based analysis would be irrelevant if you catch the virus or like the thousands of self employed people facing financial ruin.

This is a truism. If society ends and the world as we know it ceases to be, stats on WWFC will, amongst most of the rest of everything in our lives, be meaningless. Until then we assume that all shall return to some semblance of normality and we discuss what form we believe to be the best when that time comes.

If you want to discuss strictly vrus related topics, go to a forum that specializes in that, whilst we use our time in self isolation (not going towards potential viral clusters at hospitals, you Wally!) to discuss what happens with the football club we love and the football league family when we can play again.

Of course we all feel for all those affected by Covid19 and we cope with this in different ways. The last thing we should be doing is trying to sensor talk of what happens in a brighter future by insisting we focus solely on the darkness of the day.

• Awful thread this

• Sorry @fame_46 but I think your attack on @chairboyscentral was inappropriate. Nowhere has he indicated that he is unaware of the bigger (and more important) picture.

You have taken time out to read posts on a football forum so shouldn’t be too surprised to see speculation and debate about the future of our football club.

I’m not meaning to be patronising but I hope you aren’t too stressed by it all. I usually find your posts balanced and thoughtful.

• I still haven't seen a decent argument to void the current season in the next six weeks but I do hope football returns soon to stop the kind of comments this post us now generating about other posters.

• @fame_46 said:
    Also at what point is society going to cease to exist?

Armageddon created by global warming?

• @fame_46 said:
    @StrongestTeam - nothing aggressive there at all. Not threatened anyone - I've voiced my opinion in relation to a particular set of posts with reason.

Think you might have gone over the top a bit, looks like chairboys central , booker and Nors agree, all subjective of course, perhaps we can just agree to try and be a bit more sensitive at the moment. Granted it's not always easy to judge amongst our particular community of legends, wind up merchants and everything in between.

• I see no reason not to discuss football matters on a football forum. Its a way of keeping sane if nothing else. Surely everyone understands that there are far more important things in the world. I think with no doubt the best of intentions @fame_46 , you may have got this one wrong.

• @fame_46 said:
    @NorsQuarters

This is a football forum discussing the virus on this particular thread for a start. The government have advised social distance but there are many things you can do.

This is a thread started by someone you deride for discussing the thread title, namely "Season extended indefinitely". There are of course things we can do, the overriding advice seems to be self isolation.

For example I'm one of the 500k plus people signed up to volunteer to support the NHS during this crisis if you want to break down every point literally.

And if you did that by trapsing down to your local hospital, you're a wally. And until you get called up for the medical TA you can either be chatting on a football forum, reading up on being a respirator technician or sharpening your scalpels. If you're on here let's talk football.

Also at what point is society going to cease to exist?

When people with guns come to your house and take your food.

Awfully hijacked thread this

• You're right @StrongestTeam . I am sure @fame_46 has their heart in the right place. So let's start over.

Given that people are sick and dying and the situation looks pretty grim as things stand and with due respect to all for whom this situation affects personally, do gasroomers think extending the season indefinitely is the way to go?

• @NorsQuarters said:

Given that people are sick and dying and the situation looks pretty grim as things stand and with due respect to all for whom this situation affects personally, do gasroomers think extending the season indefinitely is the way to go?

At the moment:

Yes 65%
    No 35%

Current direction of travel is yes to no.

(Actual importance to be attached to my comment 0%)

• Actually @NorsQuarters whats the situation like in your part of the world? I saw Iceland was proportionally hard hit (or testing lots) and that Sweden seems to be carrying on regardless mostly but not seen much else from that part of the world

• The current season absolutely has to finish, and will, whether that’s in July 2020 or July 2021.

There are always (always, always) more important things going on than the completion of any given football season. Covid hasn’t changed that, it’s just made us all realize it.

• @fame_46 said:
    @chairboyscentral - this isn't a point scoring exercise.

That response shows a complete lack of empathy. You'd rather try and throw a poor defensive reply. Not sure why you feel the need to edit your reply 3 times on the post either after sending it adding in further text.

What I said was you need to step away for some clarity. I don't wish anyone to lose anyone close to them, I said I hope that doesn't need to happen for you to understand what is happening.

I wonder if the 660k infected people think its important or thousands of NHS staff on their knees currently. Football is a game at the end of the day, it will return for better for worse.

Show a bit of class and maybe nip down to Wycombe hospital tomorrow to ask if there is anything you can do to help, rather than bleating on about contracts and PPG scenarios.

Your stats based analysis would be irrelevant if you catch the virus or like the thousands of self employed people facing financial ruin.

I actually feel a bit sorry for you.

Logs into a football forum to start having a pop at people for talking about football. You could not make it up.

We’re all stuck inside FFS @fame_46! What else is there to do but speculate aimlessly about football?!?

• @floyd said:
    The current season absolutely has to finish, and will, whether that’s in July 2020 or July 2021.

There are always (always, always) more important things going on than the completion of any given football season. Covid hasn’t changed that, it’s just made us all realize it.

"realise"

• If contracts aren't somehow extended to keep squads together for an indefinite amount of time needed to finish the season, then giving the clubs clarity that they can plan for the next season will clearly help them.

Personally, returning to play 10 games in say October, with and against entirely different squads, some far more decimated than others due to financial difficulties stemming from this crisis would be a farcical end to the season, and in no way worth affecting next season for.