Skip to content

Season extended indefinitely

Comments

• Back to the football, this statement from the EFL doesn’t smell great to me:

‘The Premier League, EFL and PFA met today and discussed the growing seriousness of the COVID-19 pandemic.

It was stressed that the thoughts of all three organisations continue to be with everyone affected by the virus.

The Premier League, EFL and PFA agreed that difficult decisions will have to be taken in order to mitigate the economic impact of the current suspension of professional football in England and agreed to work together to arrive at shared solutions.

The leagues will not recommence until 30 April at the earliest. They will only do so when it is safe and conditions allow.

Further meetings will take place next week with a view to formulating a joint plan to deal with the difficult circumstances facing the leagues, their Clubs, players, staff and fans.’

I think this adds weight the the news report mentioned above indicating that a behind closed doors conclusion to the season is possible.

There may be some logic to testing players and match day staff in order to allow professional sport to resume behind closed doors and be broadcast. If it provides televised entertainment that helps keep people indoors then the cost of testing may be justified.

• Players shouldn't be getting tested en masse until testing is readily available for those who most need it. Also, surely it would only take one player testing positive after a match to bring the whole game grinding to a halt again.

• That statement is too vague to really get any idea from it.

It could as much be read that they'll decide to void it, as any talk of behind closed doors.

• I just don't get how they can make any decisions at this stage. They'd be massively subject to change and no one's playing any football until the government says they can.

• edited March 2020

Yep the only possible things are will they dish some money to the clubs, rather than just forward them money due anyway (like Rob Couhig said)

And possibly have a date the season must be completed by.
    But it'd make no sense to reveal that, as everything is so uncertain and moving quickly.

I suspect they already have a private date in mind anyway and suspect the adamancy about playing the season out is a political thing for the sponsors/tv

• I don't see the point in setting in a finish date when no one knows when next season will be able to start. This one's 80% done and it seems like some people within the game are just as concerned about one that hasn't even kicked off. Also, financially, clubs can't play whether it's voided or paused, so yesterday's decision about non-League makes even less sense to me now (it took a while for the penny to drop for me on that one ?‍♂️).

• Different opinions aside on whether current or new should be prioritised, I think we can agree that until the lockdown is over, and we've had a good few weeks with a proven total end to new cases, barely any decisions bar emergency payments to clubs can be taken.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I just don't get how they can make any decisions at this stage. They'd be massively subject to change and no one's playing any football until the government says they can.

This is my point really. The govt may authorise it if they believe it will keep people indoors. I hate to use the phrase in this context but the ‘return on investment’ might (emphasis on ‘might’) be quite high if testing 3000 football staff & players significantly improves adherence to social distancing measures by keeping people home over the summer.

I agree it does seem premature to make any firm decisions just yet. But it won’t be long before they do need to make decisions on how best to complete the season so proper contingency planning has to be done and that involves narrowing down your options to a handful of workable plans. I imagine by now they have 3-4 options (play the season in the summer, void season, finalise table on a PPG basis, complete the season later in the year) and a rough idea which is most likely.

• @Glenactico said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I just don't get how they can make any decisions at this stage. They'd be massively subject to change and no one's playing any football until the government says they can.

This is my point really. The govt may authorise it if they believe it will keep people indoors. I hate to use the phrase in this context but the ‘return on investment’ might (emphasis on ‘might’) be quite high if testing 3000 football staff & players significantly improves adherence to social distancing measures by keeping people home over the summer.

I agree it does seem premature to make any firm decisions just yet. But it won’t be long before they do need to make decisions on how best to complete the season so proper contingency planning has to be done and that involves narrowing down your options to a handful of workable plans. I imagine by now they have 3-4 options (play the season in the summer, void season, finalise table on a PPG basis, complete the season later in the year) and a rough idea which is most likely.

In the PPG example, would they just promote the top 2? Or would they still do the playoffs?
    Because if you can do playoffs, you can do other games, unless they see it as fewer games, so less risk!

• @Malone said:
    That statement is too vague to really get any idea from it.

It could as much be read that they'll decide to void it, as any talk of behind closed doors.

It is vague and could, as you say, indicate they are considering voiding the season. My feeling is still that it would be the absolute last resort.

Either way, they are clearly priming supporters for the possibility of bad news.

• @Glenactico said:

@Malone said:
    That statement is too vague to really get any idea from it.

It is vague and could, as you say, indicate they are considering voiding the season. My feeling is still that it would be the absolute last resort.

Either way, they are clearly priming supporters for the possibility of bad news.

Oh agree totally - but the last resort may be the only workable resort unfortunately.

Imagine how unsatisfactory it would be watching 9-10 games online, with no crowd there. Or winning promotion in an empty stadium, and then possibly having to have a reduced league start BCD next year too.

• Would that be less satisfactory than voiding the season?

• Both grim options but I’d personally prefer to see the season finished behind closed doors and watch on ifollow than have it voided altogether.

• Having watched a couple of BCD games pre shutdown they are pretty dreadful affairs, and totally kill any sense of worth.

But probably just ahead of voiding.

But again, depends on the end to this, which is hard to see.

• It was reported that people can buy tests on Harley Street for £350. But they are only testing people with symptoms or other reason I believe. And they report the results to the NHS

• Far be it from the powers that be to show their emotional side, but that genuinely should be factored in.

• edited March 2020

• I still have no idea why we would ever need to void a season, when the next one could be in danger too. If the day comes where we can safely play again...pick up from where we left off! We may need to do exactly that several times.

The alternative is going through next season wondering if the games and goals we are watching will actually count. Can you imagine? Talk about sword of Damocles!

• edited March 2020

Just change the Premier/EFL rules for future seasons stipulating that if the Government issue another lockdown, each teams placing as standing at that time determine the final table. There will obviously need to be a minimum of games played specified.

• edited March 2020

FIFA are reportedly considering amending regulations so current contracts expire at the end of the season, whenever that is, instead of on 30th June. Good thread on it from a sports lawyer ?

• I dare say some clubs would be horrified at that. Especially if things extend 6months onwards and they are subject to more outlay

• You'd have to cut wages, even Barcelona are having to now. Plus I think one club here - can't remember who - are going to force their players to take cuts if they don't do it voluntarily. And others will surely follow suit.

• Nice to see a senior club official putting forward a coherent and workable plan. Makes a change from those (particularly those in the Premier) living in cloud cuckoo land thinking that this season can be finished.

• Coherent in that it saves the club proposing it from likely relegation and for some reason designs an odd number of clubs in the top division (as well as a 44 game league season)?

• edited March 2020

This season can finish and has to finish in the interests of integrity. When that is shouldn't be an issue.

• @mooneyman said:
    Nice to see a senior club official putting forward a coherent and workable plan. Makes a change from those (particularly those in the Premier) living in cloud cuckoo land thinking that this season can be finished.

Except a team fighting relegation, suggesting there shouldn't be any relegations, is laughably transparent!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    This season can finish and has to finish in the interests of integrity. When that is shouldn't be an issue.

This "integrity" thing again.
    There's a worldwide emergency going on. The "integrity" of a game of football doesn't really come into it. Just like it didn't in the war, the only even semi comparable thing in football history.

• edited March 2020

No one's saying you have to finish it soon, but it's important to carry on from where we left off when it's safe to do so. Also, you can consider football important while recognising the gravity of the current situation and seeing that that's clearly immeasurably more important.

I just fail to see what voiding achieves. You'd be playing the same season next season but likely a shorter version - completely pointless. PPG has merit but is still far from ideal. Anyway, I'm going round in circles now.

• What's so arbitrary about the proposed solution is that PPG is suggested as a viable method to determine Premier League winners, Champions League and Europa League places but somehow it's not good enough to confirm relegation or promotion in other Leagues.
    It's either a way to determine the final league placings or it isn't. Simple as that.