Skip to content

Comments

• Nothing can compare to the human cost and lost individual livelihoods but in terms of the football club I don’t think we’ve faced a bigger threat than the fallout from this post war. I’m sure a Wycombe Wanderers will survive but in what form is anyone’s guess.

• It doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if the outbreak had been this time last year.

• I find it hard to believe that the club could be in better hands but, as you say @BuckinghamBlue, what form it might take in a few months’ time is anyone’s guess. Let’s hope the great progress that was being made over last nine months can somehow be sustained.

• If the current crisis and its impact on the lower league doesn't prompt the powers that be to redress the financial imbalance in the game, I don't know what will. It's also the time for Premier League clubs to get more benevolent, which includes helping out the smaller clubs - and not just at times like this.

• Hear bloody hear @chairboyscentral.

• Wont happen.... they will probably see it as a chance to break away and form European super leagues

• Hopefully gives a bit more ammunition to the league to push for harder controls and less wriggle room for those who talk a good game but act with self interest, but will believe it when I see it.
    Quite an obscure message, doesn't entirely bode well but could obviously have been a lot different a couple of months back.

• Only 4 teams could do that, so how would the other 16 Premier teams react?

• I reckon I’m losing me marbles already. Perhaps your comment could do with a bit of elaboration @wformation.

• Obscure @StrongestTeam ? Could hardly include more specific information at such an uncertain time. (I’m assuming you’re referring to Rob Couhig message.)

• @micra said:
    Obscure @StrongestTeam ? Could hardly include more specific information at such an uncertain time. (I’m assuming you’re referring to Rob Couhig message.)

Yes Micra, it seems he's hinting at big changes, quite right probably not to reveal them until clear and those affected know but not sure it sounds great, at least in the short term.

@wformation seems to be suggesting only 4 English clubs would be in a European super league but it wouldn't be democratic or based on success or history of some get their way so who knows

• @StrongestTeam said:

@micra said:
    Obscure @StrongestTeam ? Could hardly include more specific information at such an uncertain time. (I’m assuming you’re referring to Rob Couhig message.)

Yes Micra, it seems he's hinting at big changes, quite right probably not to reveal them until clear and those affected know but not sure it sounds great, at least in the short term.

@wformation seems to be suggesting only 4 English clubs would be in a European super league but it wouldn't be democratic or based on success or history of some get their way so who knows

I agree not good

• @BuckinghamBlue said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@micra said:

I agree not good

I don't want that to sound like a criticism though, more a reflection that we are all facing tough times. it's well written and I have faith in them to do well by us where possible.

• Apart from the likes of Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich and probably Oxford, the rest of Leagues 1 and 2 are going to be in the same sinking boat.

• The lower leagues were dying even before this, so I can only imagine the troubles now. I just hope that this focuses the minds across the sport, to find a sustainable way forward for L1 and L2.

• Not so sure about Oxford @mooneyman , Haven't they faced numerous winding up petitions in the last 18 months or so from HMRC?

• Look on the bright side, MK might not survive this.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Not so sure about Oxford @mooneyman , Haven't they faced numerous winding up petitions in the last 18 months or so from HMRC?

They have, but it has never stopped them flashing the cash and seem to always get away with it.

• I think Oxford’s situation is far more precarious than ours.

• Would like to think so.

• @micra If a European super League was formed it would not have more than 4 English teams,6 at the most. Unless they decided that there would be a 2nd Division, which is unlikely as no team would want to be relegated.

• Tough times ahead for WWFC staff, but as some have said, we’re in a much better place than most to come out the other side.

It is a significant that we don’t have interest accruing on those loans anymore.

Thank you to all those involved in the club and I hope Rob takes care of you as best he can.

• Our survival may have ended up hinging on the RC deal going through at the time it did. If so, I feel like the scene where Indiana Jones snatches his hat right before the big stone door can crush it.

• @Shev said:
    Our survival may have ended up hinging on the RC deal going through at the time it did. If so, I feel like the scene where Indiana Jones snatches his hat right before the big stone door can crush it.

I have seen Rob wearing an Indiana Jones-esque hat.

• Hopefully there will be a way for some of the business loans to come our way, but I'm sure Rob is across it all. As for a super league...football with no relegation or promotion would be a dead duck for me. Not interested in paying to see people playing friendlies even now!

• I wonder if Rob has any regrets getting involved in lower league football at the time that he did.

• He did it his way

• Let's see what measures he introduces before piling on the hero worship, eh? This is a Republican politician we're talking about. Not a group noted for their commitment to social security.

"Some of my decisions may have undesirable short-term ramifications and provoke some adverse reactions."

• @aloysius said:
    "Some of my decisions may have undesirable short-term ramifications and provoke some adverse reactions."

Hardly a fiery statement though is it @aloysius? As with any leader of a democratic process, any decision is going to make some happier than others & there will be others that will be outraged. Par for the course.

• @aloysius said:
    Let's see what measures he introduces before piling on the hero worship, eh? This is a Republican politician we're talking about. Not a group noted for their commitment to social security.

Lets see what measures he introduces before piling in on the Republican stuff too. Not sure labels and agendas help at the moment.