Skip to content

Season extended indefinitely

Comments

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @Manboobs Yes, beds that will be very much needed due to the public’s shockingly arrogant indifference to the biggest single issue of my lifetime. How people are so incapable of comprehending the basics, and exercising the simple rules, of social distancing is truly astonishing.

Indeed. My local pub was rammed on Friday until 2 AM Saturday. I wasn’t there but my neighbour was. He was a bit shamefaced to admit it.

That said, the town I work in was eerily quiet yesterday as I sat in isolation in my office.

• @Manboobs said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    @Manboobs Yes, beds that will be very much needed due to the public’s shockingly arrogant indifference to the biggest single issue of my lifetime. How people are so incapable of comprehending the basics, and exercising the simple rules, of social distancing is truly astonishing.

Indeed. My local pub was rammed on Friday until 2 AM Saturday. I wasn’t there but my neighbour was. He was a bit shamefaced to admit it.

That said, the town I work in was eerily quiet yesterday as I sat in isolation in my office.

And I’m sad to say having just driven past a large Tescos that there are perhaps 500 NHS staff in a tightly packed queue to get in. So one covid case in that shop and there goes the healthcare provision for thousands of people for the next few weeks as they all self-isolate.

• Was that Tesco store open (for an hour, presumably) purely for NHS staff then? To me, one of the worst aspects of COVID-19 is the fact (?) that the incubation period can be as much as 14 days* so, presumably, any of those NHS staff who came into contact with a symptom-free but infected fellow shopper could unwittingly be spreading it themselves whilst going about their daily “business”. That is surely one of the the most compelling reasons for people to stick rigidly to the self-isolation protocols.

I spent 30-40 minutes in ASDA on Thursday and, with the best will in the world, it is very hard to keep 6ft away from fellow shoppers, especially in the checkout areas so I was somewhat reassured this morning to see a definition of “close contact” as being “15 minutes face to face with an infected person”. I suppose it’s more like 15 seconds if they coughed or sneezed. Or were a former Shadow Home Secretary. Either way, I feel I have to wait until Thursday week before I can relax.

*one piece of further reading just now seems to imply that it is not until 24 hours before symptoms appear that an infected person can pass it on.

• @Manboobs said:

@Manboobs said:

@LeedsBlue said:

And I’m sad to say having just driven past a large Tescos that there are perhaps 500 NHS staff in a tightly packed queue to get in. So one covid case in that shop and there goes the healthcare provision for thousands of people for the next few weeks as they all self-isolate.

Wouldn't it be more sensible for Tesco's (and other supermarkets) to arrange top priority free home deliveries for NH Staff, instead of making them waste valuable time queuing up?

• @micra said:
    Was that Tesco store open (for an hour, presumably) purely for NHS staff then? To me, one of the worst aspects of COVID-19 is the fact (?) that the incubation period can be as much as 14 days* so, presumably, any of those NHS staff who came into contact with a symptom-free but infected fellow shopper could unwittingly be spreading it themselves whilst going about their daily “business”. That is surely one of the the most compelling reasons for people to stick rigidly to the self-isolation protocols.

I spent 30-40 minutes in ASDA on Thursday and, with the best will in the world, it is very hard to keep 6ft away from fellow shoppers, especially in the checkout areas so I was somewhat reassured this morning to see a definition of “close contact” as being “15 minutes face to face with an infected person”. I suppose it’s more like 15 seconds if they coughed or sneezed. Or were a former Shadow Home Secretary. Either way, I feel I have to wait until Thursday week before I can relax.

*one piece of further reading just now seems to imply that it is not until 24 hours before symptoms appear that an infected person can pass it on.

Yes it was NHS staff only. Doors opened an hour early before tills opened. You’re right I think about only becoming a virus shedder for a relatively short period before symptoms appear. I think it’s why countries who acted like Singapore with rapid testing and contact tracing did so well in containment. But in 24 hours one NHS staff member can infect a lot of colleagues. In my mental health trust we have stopped staff who work across bases from doing so and have moved to phone work with service users or when that is not safe for them, ensuring we use protection and good hand hygiene for them and ourselves (I’m moisturising like never before as 20 x 30 second washes a day is quite the thing). Therapy groups have had to be postponed for now. We’re looking at home working where possible. I am worried that other trusts are not so proactive, I have friends elsewhere still delivering therapy groups to 20 people in small rooms. I think they’ll catch up - sooner rather than later.

But it’s a balance. We are acutely aware of the impact on people’s mental health that our policies, and this crisis, will have in both the short and long term.

• edited March 2020

Southampton' chief executive seems to have his priorities all wrong, suggests resuming the season before all the restrictions are lifted in order to boost morale. Funnily enough, I don't believe that's why he wants that at all.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51990101

• @Manboobs said:

@Manboobs said:

@LeedsBlue said:

Yes, suddenly what seems a genius idea looks to have a monumental risk factor!!

• What is it going to take for people to get it into their thick heads?

• Experts know nothing For every couple of people doing their bit there is one taking advantage or being a complete **** nut! Its the british way.

• Just been shopping at local Lidl (up t’north). No loo roll, tins, pasta and rice but plenty of fresh meat, fruit and veg and at 2.00 basically had it to myself.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Experts know nothing For every couple of people doing their bit there is one taking advantage or being a complete **** nut! Its the british way.

I can't work them out. Are they stockpiling because (in addition to being selfish bastards) they want to stay home and avoid the virus? A packed supermarket is probably not the best place to be if that's the case...

• Wait until its announced some time in the next week that we're all being put into lockdown !

• Needs announcing now

• Mrs 67 and myself went for a country walk today We feel it's vital to do this as much as possible t maintain physical and mental health but are very aware of social distancing We made a point of parking away from other cars near a field and walked towards the small village avoiding other the few walkers we encountered quite easily.Again at the village we carefully avoided any one we came across. Mrs 67 stopped to admire the village pond. A family were walking along a lane nearby. One of their group a guy my age so old enough to know better decided to walk towards the pond and within a foot of Mrs 67. I shouted "which bit of six foot apart do you find difficult to understand " He seemed totally in his own little world The person who I assume was his wife'looked at me as though I was mad. so I repeated what I said.Idiots like this will cause deaths.

• edited March 2020

@Mr67 said:
    Mrs 67 and myself went for a country walk today We feel it's vital to do this as much as possible t maintain physical and mental health but are very aware of social distancing We made a point of parking away from other cars near a field and walked towards the small village avoiding other the few walkers we encountered quite easily.Again at the village we carefully avoided any one we came across. Mrs 67 stopped to admire the village pond. A family were walking along a lane nearby. One of their group a guy my age so old enough to know better decided to walk towards the pond and within a foot of Mrs 67. I shouted "which bit of six foot apart do you find difficult to understand " He seemed totally in his own little world The person who I assume was his wife'looked at me as though I was mad. so I repeated what I said.Idiots like this will cause deaths.

How are you dealing with shopping?

• Wherever possible I am trying to use small local shops when you can often be the only customer during quiet times. Also the local,shops seem to have less panic buying so you can get eggs etc Of course sometimes it's unavoidable to be within 6 feet. The situation today was very avoidable

• edited March 2020

The PM has just delivered his latest absolute car crash of a press conference. Still no lockdown. Gently asking people to do better isn't going to cut it.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    The PM has just delivered his latest absolute car crash of a press conference. Still no lockdown. Gently asking people to do better isn't going to cut it.

What would you do?

• edited March 2020

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

What would you do?

Make people practise social distancing rather than ask them nicely? The current 'advice' clearly isn't getting through to them. He's literally just said that there are stronger measures which can be taken; why put them off when people have had almost a full week to comply and still aren't listening?

• As ever those of us trying to stick to the rules will end up having harsher restrictions due to be idiots. Got the paint in in the event of a lockdown Hate DiY but no excuse then

• @Mr67 said:
    As ever those of us trying to stick to the rules will end up having harsher restrictions due to be idiots. Got the paint in in the event of a lockdown Hate DiY but no excuse then

Would a lockdown be much harsher than current restrictions? Those of us doing as we're told are effectively on lockdown already. It would just become enforceable.

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

What would you do?

Make people practise social distancing rather than ask them nicely? The current 'advice' clearly isn't getting through to them. He's literally just said that there are stronger measures which can be taken; why put them off when people have had almost a full week to comply and still aren't listening?

I agree on the "advice" thing.
    They should have told sport to stop, instead of it taking a few high profile players and managers to get the virus, and for sport to close itself down.

I also wonder about what power they have, I believe they didn't have the power to instruct certain shut downs until recently?

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

What would you do?

More testing and following the procedures Singapore are applying.

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

What would you do?

How do you propose making people comply? Would those not taking the advice given so welk by The Police do so if you made them?

'Don't stand. Don't stand close to me'

I have no idea what the policy is now. Perhaps the idea is that every vulnerable person has been identified and they will compliantly stay in whilst supported by hubs, logistically managed by the army, and staffed by the NHS,
    Social services and volunteers. This means that the vulnerable won’t get it so those of us who do will just be a bit unwell. And as some of us are practicing social distancing then the spread will be slower and so everything will be OK.

Is that it?

• Get the police on the streets as they are in other countries on or close to complete lockdown - or, perhaps more simply, close non-essential shops, parks (some in London are already closing) etc. and stop giving people places to mingle.

• @Manboobs said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I have no idea what the policy is now. Perhaps the idea is that every vulnerable person has been identified and they will compliantly stay in whilst supported by hubs, logistically managed by the army, and staffed by the NHS,
    Social services and volunteers. This means that the vulnerable won’t get it so those of us who do will just be a bit unwell. And as some of us are practicing social distancing then the spread will be slower and so everything will be OK.

Is that it?

Isn't everyone aged 70 or older vulernable? They've gone very quiet on telling that section of the population to self-isolate.

• edited March 2020

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

What would you do?

I agree on the "advice" thing.
    They should have told sport to stop, instead of it taking a few high profile players and managers to get the virus, and for sport to close itself down.

I also wonder about what power they have, I believe they didn't have the power to instruct certain shut downs until recently?

Applying for the powers they need is part of the process, quite rightly there has to be a proper process before the government assumes more power than it previously needed. I think that's pretty much a red herring when there isn't the political will to introduce harsher measures until the horse has bolted. By many accounts we are way behind where we should or could be. Numbers here have to be seen as on the low side of reality if only footballers and celebs seem to be getting a test. Compared to many countries we aren't doing enough around banning things, testing, and ramping up networks for essential supplies.

• I’m a little surprised that the over 70’s appear to have been excluded from the vulnerable category after it was widely trailed (and the fact they are statistically vulnerable).

I think in hindsight the ‘trust the great British public to do the right thing’ strategy the government have taken will prove to have been wildly optimistic.

I think (not in hindsight) that the government is still keeping to this approach despite the overwhelming evidence that the GBP is incapable (en masse) of doing the right thing is pretty indefensible and downright negligent.

Get the police on the streets as they are in other countries on or close to complete lockdown - or, perhaps more simply, close non-essential shops, parks (some in London are already closing) etc. and stop giving people places to mingle.

With the police on the streets enforcing any lockdown the result would be an absolute field day for burglars, looters and other criminals.