Skip to content

2001 FA Cup quarter-final on BBC One on Saturday

Comments

• It was beamed back onto a big screen at AP I was lucky enough to be one of the 3000 sat high behind the goal as they gave us extra seats there perfect view of our goals We had parked in the city centre and walked back along the canal path to the multi-storey very clam there surreal.

• One thing I do remember was how gracious the Leicester fans we encountered on the way back to our car were, congratulating us rather than any aggression. Had a fondness for them ever since.

• edited March 2020

Bet the LDF were glad that the Baby Squad weren’t looking for a ‘set-to’ that day...

• Yesterday was the first time I had watched the coverage in several years. For me, despite being there, it didn't quite have the magic of the win at Selhurst Park. Partly because I had a stinking headache all through the match. Mostly because, whilst Wimbledon felt like the ultimate triumph against adversity, we were just the better team against Leicester and deserved to win.

I do remember barely celebrating the goals - particularly the first - because I kept expecting them to be disallowed for some reason. McCarthy's goal was brilliant, but the defending was so bad you just felt sure that someone must have been fouled, or been offside.

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    It was an incredible moment I was incomprehensible to complete strangers just babbling. I remember one of my mates got onto 606

That would’ve been @woodlands perhaps?> @Dickie said:

@glasshalffull has not aged in near on 20 years!!

A victim of the “hair today, gone tomorrow” though.

• Syndrome.

• Incoming call interrupted posting. I kept shouting “hello”. because I know the person is deaf but not a sausage.
    Makes you jump when that happens.

• I’ve not seen @glasshalffull recently so can’t comment but didn’t Gary Lineker look young. And isn’t it scary that he’s been doing MOTD for 20 years

• Gary Rowett looked exactly the same!

• Was sat in the Leicester end behind the goal with another Wycombe lad, made the mistake of answering phone "alright geezer" from a mate watching at AP, bloke next to me stood up and announced to the crowd "these two are Wycombe" made for a very tense moment when Roy scored. At the final whistle my mate and I ran over to the Wycombe crowd to celebrate, however soon realised we were being pursued by a group of baby squaders and so discretion was the better part of valour and we legged it.
    Was great to watch it again yesterday, glad it's on player as my record screwed up due to the time change.
    Happy days! COYB

• @bookertease said:
    I’ve not seen @glasshalffull recently so can’t comment but didn’t Gary Lineker look young. And isn’t it scary that he’s been doing MOTD for 20 years

Confess to being a little rounder and a lot less hirsute than I was at Filbert Street and got rid of that awful leather jacket many years ago, otherwise fresh as a daisy!
    And thanks for your observation Dickie, assuming you were being sincere (one can never be sure on the Gasroom).

• I guess I wasn't the only one who stay tuned for the following game, WBA V Forest from 78 I think, with it's WWFC connections. Sir Martin up against Sir Cyrille with the latter coming out on top as well as notching a trademark goal. Goalkeepers without gloves too.

From the Wycombe game did anyone not raise a smile when Brownie took out Savage?

• Today it's Derby v Sheffield Wed with an earlier incarnation of Martin Taylor in goal for the Rams. Was he the best keeper we ever had.? Another thread perhaps !

• I hugged @glasshalffull at Filbert St

It was a strange kind of day

• Having watched again the quarter final highlights and parts of the semi yesterday, there are so many observations one could make about the characters in that team. But here are just 3 quick ones:-
    1) I'd forgotten just how hard Steve Brown was. He displayed that in both those games. I still wince at the thought of 'that' tackle in the Blackpool game (was it the next season?)
    2) Just what a dependable keeper Martin Taylor was. Not the biggest; not the best at commanding his box; possibly not the best shot stopper we have had but boy, didn't he do all of those things very well and, above all, seemed to know when to come out. A brilliant signing.
    3) How calm Jamie Bates was. As I recall he retired at the end of that season. I am sure he could have cut it for a while longer but he decided to call it a day on the highs of that season.
    Very happy days.

• @Thicketblue , it'd be an interesting debate about what keepers we've had in our football league days could be considered better than Taylor.

I'd wager not many, and for certain they'd have to be loanees, with Premier league background.

• Taylor was fantastic, not traditionally athletic, but had a leap on him, not showy but made great save after great save and just kept keeping out fairly likely goals and the defence would do whatever they were told.

• It was said that but for some terrible luck with injuries he could have played for England

• He was expecting to play for Derby in the Premier league the week before we signed him wasn't he?

Trying to think what keepers we can certainly say were better than him. Certainly no permanent ones.
    A few loanees like Heaton.

• I was fortunate enough to attend all the home games with my lads who were 8 & 10 at the time. The 10 year old and I also managed the Wimbledon & Leicester games, all 3 of us the Villa Park game. The Filbert St game we were in the Leicester end. Telling a 10 year old we cannot celebrate if we score was impossible, we went nuts when Essendoh scored. I was still up out of the chair when the goals went in.

• As a first 11 the team of that season would take some beating (although a fair few were missing from the Leicester game) Taylor, Vinnecombe, Bates, Mccarthy, Simmo, Brown, Ryan, Carroll, Cousins, Rammell and co.... The team all but named itself for a couple of years, and like today's team was very successful at what it did. Whatever the era, those are players worthy of any Wycombe team. The feeling of when Essandoh scored was only bettered by the feeling of when Williams blasted over at Wimbledon (which sounds odd, but if you were there then you know). The Leicester fans were exceptional on the way out. It was a 10/10 day. However that Wimbledon game was 12/10 at least

• @micra said:

@BuckinghamBlue said:
    It was an incredible moment I was incomprehensible to complete strangers just babbling. I remember one of my mates got onto 606

That would’ve been @woodlands perhaps?>

Could be, I’m not sure who anybody on here is myself included

• @tom. Agreed, but i think Carroll was in his last season and a bit part player that season.

Though i still wonder what might have happened at 1-2 v Liverpool when he stole round the front of their player in the corner and nicked the ball, if the ref hadn't deemed it a foul by our other player jockeying.

• I remember being 10 years old and with the Wycombe fans behind the goal in the upper tier. I remember seeing Essandoh head the ball but from my view I couldn’t actually see the ball go in because of the gradient of the stand. A surreal moment.

• That would’ve been @woodlands perhaps?>

Could be, I’m not sure who anybody on here is myself included

Bit disturbing @BuckinghamBlue !

• @Vincey said:
    I remember being 10 years old and with the Wycombe fans behind the goal in the upper tier. I remember seeing Essandoh head the ball but from my view I couldn’t actually see the ball go in because of the gradient of the stand. A surreal moment.

I remember standing next to you both there and at Selhurst Park. I don't think I'll ever forget either game.

• @Glenny said:

@Vincey said:
    I remember being 10 years old and with the Wycombe fans behind the goal in the upper tier. I remember seeing Essandoh head the ball but from my view I couldn’t actually see the ball go in because of the gradient of the stand. A surreal moment.

I remember standing next to you both there and at Selhurst Park. I don't think I'll ever forget either game.

Brilliant memories.

Part of me wishes I was slightly older to really appreciate the magnitude of what we achieved that season.

What a club.

• @Malone said:
    He was expecting to play for Derby in the Premier league the week before we signed him wasn't he?

Trying to think what keepers we can certainly say were better than him. Certainly no permanent ones.
    A few loanees like Heaton.

There have been none as far as I'm concerned. Streets ahead of any other keeper that's ever played for us.
    We managed to have a ten year spell in the third tier from 1994 to 2004. In my opinion, MT kept us in that division for far longer than we might have otherwise been.
    Must admit, I can barely remember Heaton, he left no lasting impression on me. Probably because he was with us during a depressing relegation season.

• Having said that about Martin Taylor, Nikki Bull's performances during the 2010-11 promotion season would take some beating.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Having said that about Martin Taylor, Nikki Bull's performances during the 2010-11 promotion season would take some beating.

All about opinions, but I just remember Bull conceding a heck of a lot of longer rangers.

Heaton was only with us for a short period, but I just remember him as being supreme and being amazed we'd even got him.