Skip to content

2001 FA Cup quarter-final on BBC One on Saturday

Comments

• It will be great to see the two goals again. Both headers, and from Free Kick situations.

• This is also on iPlayer. A couple of interview snippets with Sanchez & Essandoh, and a good highlights package. Worth a watch

• Todays show on BBC 1 has been moved to 4-30 PM

• edited March 2020

Just watched it on iPlayer, first time I've ever seen the game. Can only imagine what it must have been like to be there.

• It was an out of body experience

• I remember grown men weeping, people tumbling down the stands, screaming, fainting, or limbs in the modern parlance.

This amazing club of ours has given us some truly outstanding and emotional moments. As someone posted a few weeks back, could there possibly have been a better club to follow over the past 30 years?

• The feeling that we were going to take them back for a replay was already good, but then that winner just unthinkable.
    The smiles of shock when walking out of the ground, immense.

• As well as the novelty of hearing us dominate the 606 phone in!

• It was one heck of a game but what I recall most was the feeling of walking out of Filbert Street knowing that 'little' Wycombe Wanderers was in the draw for the FA Cup Semi Finals along with giants from Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham, though I seem to think one of them still had to win a quarter final tie - against Tranmere?

• @Lloyd2084 I was actually on it talking with Adrian Chiles in the car coming home about Brownie being set off. Great memories.

• edited March 2020

The "beam back" showing it on big screens on the pitch wasn't bad either.

If we're doing the cup run backwards then the Wimbledon game will be fun next

• @woodlands said:
    @Lloyd2084 I was actually on it talking with Adrian Chiles in the car coming home about Brownie being set off. Great memories.

Awesome. We’re not worthy! ;)

• What did Brown get sent off for?

• He revealed a message to his son Maxwell which he'd written on his vest before the game. Maxwell was still very young and had been very poorly.

He'd already been booked and so was given a 2nd yellow card.

• Thankfully he managed to serve his suspension before the semi final and Maxwell was able to lead the team out with his dad as he was made team mascot for the occasion

One of many emotional moments that season

• That save by Martin Taylor from Akinbiyi, who should really have scored, played a big part in that victory along with the late great Paul McCarthy's opening goal.
    Two feats often forgotten in 'the Essandoh story'

• Of all the players Adams got rid of for no good reason Mickey Simmo was a great player for us.

• @glasshalffull has not aged in near on 20 years!!

• Up there with the best experience following Wycombe. Shell shocked in that stand as Essandoh rolled about in front of us at the end. Our support that day has only been surpassed by the most incredible game I’ve ever seen in the cup that year against Wimbledon at Crystal Palace. RIP Macca.

• How ever many times I see the winning goal is on TV my brain always brings back memories own view from the other side of the ground. A totally worth incredible day

• Never tire of watching Sanchez in his soaking wet flasher’s mac losing it over the handball...

• Don't think I've ever lost it as much at a game as that moment. I will never know the name of the person next to me who I hugged and screamed at.

And is that the only time Wycombe have appeared on the front page if The S*n?

• I distinctly remember a pause between the goal going in and the celebrations starting as if we couldn't quite compute the magnitude of what had just happened.

I also remember minutes between then and the final whistle as the most excruciating I have ever experienced watching football

Then the final whistle went and life just went absolutely mad

• I’d forgotten how near the end it was. I’m sure it felt like 10 minutes after we scored until the whistle blew.

And I’m sure that ‘handball’ looked a lot more like handball at the time. Watching it today on the tv it looked like shoulder.

• @bookertease said:
    I’d forgotten how near the end it was. I’m sure it felt like 10 minutes after we scored until the whistle blew.

And I’m sure that ‘handball’ looked a lot more like handball at the time. Watching it today on the tv it looked like shoulder.

At the time I thought it was blatant and an attempt to rob us but in hindsight and watching again it was a handball but not so obvious

• I didn't think it was at the time and still don't , shoulder. If it had been awarded we wouldn't have the Esdandoah moment.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Don't think I've ever lost it as much at a game as that moment. I will never know the name of the person next to me who I hugged and screamed at.

And is that the only time Wycombe have appeared on the front page if The S*n?

That might have been me ! As I did exactly the same haha

• It was an incredible moment I was incomprehensible to complete strangers just babbling. I remember one of my mates got onto 606

• Made for a much better story having that pen denied, and then winning it like that.
    Magic.

And you had to be quite privileged to be in the 3,000 (?) there was it? (and a few dotted around the home end).

Whereas the semi final literally anyone who wanted to go could go.