Skip to content

Comments

• Finishing what we've got started has to be preferred if only so it hasn't all been wasted, but also because if you wrote it off and aimed to start new you couldn't be sure next season would be completed either. I wonder if they are still talking about moving everything around for the dreadful quatar world cup, and if so wether they could do something interim on a more regional basic like the Brazilians do.

• In an ideal situation you'd of course want it all completed.

But you can't just go on indefinitely. Contracts expire, new season has to start etc.
    Despite their bravado today, they surely have a a final date in mind.

And if they don't, they'll have to have one if we have a further delay announced in mid to late April.

• The hope is clearly to resume start May and finish end June. Obviously the big unknown is when this virus can be got under control - having football back from May 1st is far from certain.

• Contracts are unfortunate but so be it. If the squads have changed before season is finished not end of world.

@StrongestTeam may be on to something. Finish this season Aug-Oct and then run run 2020-21 season and 21/22 seasons Jan to October finishing in time for 2022 world cup.

Then decide whether to move back to Aug-May or stay jan to october (or move feb-nov) if we find we like summer football and winter breaks.

• "The summer and winter transfer windows could be adjusted as FIFA sets to work on a package of “exceptional measures” to lessen the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

Amendments and temporary dispensations on player contracts will be looked at by a new working group, as clubs in Europe in particular face the prospect of not completing the 2019-20 season before June 30.

That is the date on which standard contracts expire and FIFA is now working on emergency measures “to protect players and clubs”. A statement from FIFA on Wednesday said that, as part of that, it would assess the need to adjust player registration periods."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/fifa-pledges-exceptional-measures-respond-impact-coronavirus

• edited March 2020

It would be a bitter sweet state of affairs if we ended up securing an unlikely promotion to the championship with half the squad gone and a new intake onboard.

A record number of winners medal may be dished out across Europe and beyond at the eventual end of the season if transfer activity happens as usual.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Welcome back @chairboyscentral .

Was getting worried about you.

Surely this announcement is purely a place holder to help the teams as no-one really has any idea what will be going on this weekend, let alone May.

How long does a delay have to be before a pre season is needed to get back fitness?

• edited March 2020

David Wheeler was saying how you'd have to have a mini pre-season because you'll essentially get muscle wastage during this time off, and injuries as a result - players can stay reasonably close to match fit by working out and following training programmes at home, but you just can't replicate the intensity of proper training.

I think that was in his Guardian interview I posted on another thread.

• Not sure Bayo will get much muscle wastage!

• Another concern - and we're not there yet - but if there does end up being a widespread lockdown, pitches are going to be left to their own devices. I'm no expert at turf management but I expect it will require a lot more than a quick mow to get into into playing condition.

• @aloysius said:
    Another concern - and we're not there yet - but if there does end up being a widespread lockdown, pitches are going to be left to their own devices. I'm no expert at turf management but I expect it will require a lot more than a quick mow to get into into playing condition.

How much grass is left on our pitch?
    Looking at it from another point of view social distancing and being outdoors might give a window to do some work around the ground.

• The plans to hire the pitch out (and offer other stadium facilities) to local clubs during May has presumably been overtaken by events - another source of income which will not now materialise. Also, I believe the pitch is due to be “resurfaced” this summer.

• ..,.have presumably.....

• @fame_46 said:

I'm seeing people moving freely around in the UK, if this continues the virus will not be contained and football would be off limits unless played behind closed doors.

I have the feeling that most of Europe will get on top of things (to the extent that China now appears to have done) but we’ll still be trying to flatten the sombrero (of some such daft expression) by still wanting people to catch the virus (albeit in limited numbers).

Consequently I can see a situation where European football will resume by next winter but with the borders closed to British clubs.

• Sadly there is a perhaps bigger possibility that football and more importantly relatively normal life will restart in late summer only to grind to a halt again when the second coming of this virus occurs in Autumn/Winter.

• Boris in his daily address just then is talking about the next 12 weeks.

Ignoring that he seems to be basing on that pure random, that'd take us up to mid June for starters. Then need at least 2months to play the actual games.

I wonder how far in advance you can be certain things can re-start from.
    Could players be doing their "pre-season" then? If not, that's a further delay.

• @Malone said:
    Boris in his daily address just then is talking about the next 12 weeks.

Ignoring that he seems to be basing on that pure random, that'd take us up to mid June for starters. Then need at least 2months to play the actual games.

I wonder how far in advance you can be certain things can re-start from.
    Could players be doing their "pre-season" then? If not, that's a further delay.

At times they talk of the immediate crisis and almost "getting it done" again. At others they seem to be talking over 18 months to two years before it could all be declared over and done with.

• @DevC said:
    Sadly there is a perhaps bigger possibility that football and more importantly relatively normal life will restart in late summer only to grind to a halt again when the second coming of this virus occurs in Autumn/Winter.

I think that’s a certainty, although I’m not sure we’ll have reached relatively normal life in the UK by autumn.

• There's a lot of talk about what they are going to do (outside footy)...which all sounds great...but again I'm not sure they actually know HOW they are going to sort out exams, landlords booting out tenants, businesses whose insurance will not cover their losses, making ventilators, training nurses and so on.

• The only bright spot I can see from your point of view @Wendoverman is that even though there are no bog rolls in sight, the supermarket shelves are still overloaded with crisps.

• @mooneyman said:
    The only bright spot I can see from your point of view @Wendoverman is that even though there are no bog rolls in sight, the supermarket shelves are still overloaded with crisps.

Not round my way they're not.

• @Wendoverman said:

@mooneyman said:
    The only bright spot I can see from your point of view @Wendoverman is that even though there are no bog rolls in sight, the supermarket shelves are still overloaded with crisps.

Not round my way they're not.

Two large bags purchased in my local co-op tonight. No fresh food or milk at all. Deliveries are very limited now I was told.

Even if the virus has died off/mutated to no worse than a cold in twelve weeks the after effects will be grim for so many.

• I read that another issue with June 30th is kit deals, sponsorships etc., expiring.

• I understand that preservation of life should be the number one rule of thumb, and in this situation it is easier to quantify the lives that could be lost to the disease.
    However, I'm really concerned about people's welfare and the subsequent knock on this lock down is going to have and the subsequent loss of lives through poverty, homelessness and other issues.
    Three friends of mine run their own businesses and they are laying off 150+ people today for at least the next month, probably longer.
    I have another six or seven friends who have two - three months before they run out of money and their businesses go bankrupt, they only employ themselves.
    All these people are then going to put extra burden on an already creeking system.
    Domestic abuse, child abuse and divorce are surely going to see an increase over the coming months.
    Whilst we may get deaths in the millions globally, if I completely remove my empathy and emotion from the situation, I'm starting to wonder if that may end up being the lesser of two evils for society as a whole.
    Locking down the vulnerable and over 70s, trying to ensure their health, and letting everyone else try and carry on might just be the better plan in the long term but it is not as easy to quantify.
    Heart says lock down and save lives, head wonders if that's the correct call in the long run.
    Trying to be more positive about it all but it feels like there is an elephant in the room that is difficult to openly discuss. All I know is that I would hate to be the decision maker in this situation.

• Old style greengrocer at wendover garden centre well stocked, prices the same and though a decent queue no aggro.

• Thanks for that @Wendoverman.

• Having said the above, I've just watched this and now understand more than ever why we are isolating and doing what is necessary. Head and heart both say we're doing the right thing but perhaps not quickly enough now.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-they-call-it-the-apocalypse-inside-italys-hardest-hit-hospital-11960597

• Go down to the shops and it's like any normal day in terms of the number of people about - in fact, busier. I'm getting seriously worried about the number of elderly people I'm seeing still out and about. Tbh, until you tell people to take certain measures rather than ask, what can you expect? I'm only venturing out if absolutely necessary, but how much can you blame those that don't? The message isn't clear enough because it's not yet an order.

• You’re right @chairboyscentral

Virtually everyone I know’s parents and still going about their normal business, going shopping every few days, trips to the Post Office, popping out for a coffee, one has even jetted off to Dubai this week.

I had my first venture out yesterday after quarantine as we were out of fresh food and milk. I just walked to my local Co-op to see if I could get some essentials. When I got to the store entrance it was crowded with older people chatting and laughing off ‘all the nonsense’. I kept my distance and put on some latex gloves and an n95 mask thinking it was my public duty to try and minimise spread.

On entering I was confronted by an angry old man who felt he had the right to come right to my face to aggressively tell me what an idiot i was and how i wouldn’t be protected anyway. Honestly I was lost for words, bar some choice swearies. It just didn’t occur to him that I might be trying to protect him or others in the store. He went off shouting to himself spouting some shite about my stupidity.

In the shop I tried to keep my distance, waiting patiently for my turn to pick up some milk yet people just kept pushing past.

I have zero confidence in our fellow man to step up and do what’s needed. It was a thoroughly depressing encounter.