Skip to content

WWFC Myths

As there is no football for a while, thought I would pass on a statistic i came across.

We all remember our two great cup runs as a league side and assume we have a great cup record yet it is a perhaps surprising fact that since joining the league 27 years ago (counting penalty shoot out defeats as losses), no Football League club has lost more FA and League Cup ties combined than Wycombe Wanderers

Comments

• You're bored aren't you @DevC?

• 'We all.........assume'

This spoof fact has all the classic DevC hallmarks. May self isolation continue for ages if this is what we will be delivered.

P.S. I do follow the premise of your point and I must say it's a poor effort.

• I was halfway through a response there before I twigged

(Almost) very well played Dev

• It's basic Wycombe knowledge that we did a deal with some dark force after the fa cup Semi run. Basically achieving nothing in it afterwards for well over a decade.

But we'd all have readily made that deal for the memories.

• @eric_plant said:
    I was halfway through a response there before I twigged

(Almost) very well played Dev

I'll go further and say "well played".

• What about a team that lost both legs of a LC semi and did not win a cup during that time period? There must be one or two...

• Bristol City lost both LC SF legs to Man City in 2017-18. Therefore, though a spoof to begin with, this fact is still debunked.

• Ah, lost more ties...I did not read the small print, sorry! Stupid ties.

• Came across on the train I suspect

• Surely, other than the cup winner, every club loses one match in each competition each year (except in the case of a 2 leg semi).

• @bluenotes said:
    Surely, other than the cup winner, every club loses one match in each competition each year (except in the case of a 2 leg semi).

I think you've just got the essence of the post.

• Man Utd didnt lose in the 1999/2000 season @bluenotes

• Charlton Ath are the only team to have lost a match in the FA Cup on the road to Wembley. In 1946 they lost at Fulham in the 3rd round , ( but it was a two leg round ) and then beat them on aggregate.

• Am sure Arsenal won one of their recent fa cups without playing a game outside of London.

• @HCblue said:

Having a slow brain day.

• I seem to remember a case in the FA Cup of a club (I can't recall who) losing then being re-instated after finding that the opposition had fielded an ineligible player. As they did not go on to win the cup, technically, they got beaten twice in the same year in the same competition.

I'm sure one hive mind will come up with the clubs involved and the year.

• The “hive mind” made me think of Barnet and I’ve a vague feeling that they might have been involved in something like that.

• Chester lost to Bury in 06/07 but got reinstated due to Bury playing a ringer!

• @bluenotes said:

@HCblue said:

Having a slow brain day.

Took me a while.