Skip to content

When Bayo signed

edited February 2020 in Football

I can't remember what thread people were discussing this on, but Paul Lewis just dug out the unveiling on Twitter. Interesting reading the mixed replies now.

Comments

• Andybm Beaumont can certainly be embarrassed.

• And erm..also Andy Beaumont.

• Taking a scroll through the tweets and thoughts of Mr Beaumont and I don't think his views on Bayo's signing are that representative of the wider world.

• If I could be bothered I would go back to the Gasroom reaction for larks.

• I suppose context is everything and we had just had a right old struggle of a last 3months punting it up to thompson and hayes who both looked utterly tired.

So to bring in a slower, bigger player might have worried some.
    But it was also a great sign as alongside Bayo we signed a few other attackers and it was clear gaz knew our issues better than anyone.

• Wasn't Bayo bought in as a back-up for Hayes/Thompson but ended up playing loads of games as they both spent ages injured? I seem to recall the White Hart Lane game was Hayes' first start for ages or something...(hence the comment behind me of 'Hayes...the name we least wanted to see on the team sheet...' )

• @Wendoverman Whilst I would never put my name to such a nonsense comment, I have to admit that I certainly wasn't expecting, prior to kick off, that Hayes would have quite the impact on the game that he did...

• Indeed @LeedsBlue although we were not blessed with strikers at the time. I found it harsh as a glory hunter who rarely travelled, but having had a few more away games under my belt I now realise the comment was quite tame compared to the usual opinions voiced by the true fans who travel thousands of miles to support their team! :smile:

• @Wendoverman said:
    If I could be bothered I would go back to the Gasroom reaction for larks.

I did look but it only goes back on here to November 2016. Where you’ll be pleased to know we were all debating the merits of grinding out wins whilst playing shit football. Plus ca change

• You're right @wendoverman.

Bayo played in the autocheckatrade cup v West ham near the start of his time. A concept that is ludicrous to think about now.

Hayes was certainly on borrowed time once Bayo arrived though. Having dropped off so badly physically that one loyal supporter's opinion that he couldn't physically jump actually led to debate. And out wide totally didn't suit him as per a few players.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Wasn't Bayo bought in as a back-up for Hayes/Thompson but ended up playing loads of games as they both spent ages injured? I seem to recall the White Hart Lane game was Hayes' first start for ages or something...(hence the comment behind me of 'Hayes...the name we least wanted to see on the team sheet...' )

Dobbo said a while back that they'd spent a long time working out how to play against him when he was at AFCW and did a fairly decent job on the day, Pierre and Mawson? I think at the time made him look a bit like the fouling clumsy guy all opposition fans think he is, they came to the opinion that not everyone would put in the work we had to stop him and those that did put the time and effort in might create space or chances for us elsewhere. Either way he'd become very effective.
    For Bayo to have delivered not just assists and goals but drive and spirit and presence as he has and for our management to get this so right and us be in the position we are now is unbelievable tbh, not surprised most of us got it wrong.
    I did apologize to Bayo and explain why I was reluctant for him to join at an event a while back and he seemed genuinely surprised that people thought that. To be rolling on as he is at 38 at the top of the division AFCW didn't think he was good enough for is remarkable.

Towards the end Hayes had lost his touch and pace a bit and slowed the play down, kept playing flick ons to nobody and hadn't played well at all, he would have also been behind Scotty by the time of the Spurs game but he was of course exceptional, Seem to remember not being greatly happy Sammy Wood was playing that day either but he also had a very good game.

• Everyone turned up that day @strongestteam thompson's goal was just fantastic.

• @Wendoverman Did everyone turn up that day? I must've been more pissed than I realised.

• @Strongest Team - I seem to remember we doubled up a defender behind and Peter Murphy in front. It completely nullified Bayo that day. Pretty much every goal kick or free kick Murphy was in front of him. He hardly touched the ball.
    Interestingly, I cannot really remember another team trying to do that to him when he has played for us!

• @Commoner said:
    @Strongest Team - I seem to remember we doubled up a defender behind and Peter Murphy in front. It completely nullified Bayo that day. Pretty much every goal kick or free kick Murphy was in front of him. He hardly touched the ball.
    Interestingly, I cannot really remember another team trying to do that to him when he has played for us!

There's been plenty of goal kicks etc that teams have put a man in front and behind. It's pure sense, as you can't bundle through a man without giving a free kick away, so any delivery has to be spot on.

But maybe not that full campaign we put into plan that day.

• Murphy and Pierre did so well that day. You're right, I haven't seen other teams double up so comprehensively on Bayo since he signed for us, though I wonder if that's partly due to the system we use.

Bayo is many things but he's not fast. When punting long balls up to him, oppositions don't really need to double up defenders, just stick someone more mobile in front of him and hope they either get the ball first, Bayo fouls them when he goes for the ball, or if he does get the ball, there's enough time for the defender to get round him before he lays it off or takes the shot (helped by Bayo playing quite far down the pitch generally rather than hanging in the box).

If we played with wingers, pinging the ball to him horizontally while Bayo stayed close to the goal line, I think there'd be much more need to double up on him. It's another reason I think Bayo would actually be more effective in a 442 for us than he is in a 433.

• If this season is declared void are all the records of the matches expunged and hence Bayo won't be our record goalscorer?

• I think maybe goals scored in abandoned games are recorded in players stats (along with yellow/red cards) so I'd say yes.
    Also isn't it only the season standings that would be declared null and void.
    What happened with player stats in the season when WW1 & WW2 were declared. That would be the precedent to look at.

• Abandoned games don't count in records but an abandoned season is a different scenario entirely.

All goals in games up to this point will count. Would be madness to have to strike them out.

• Next question (I am already suffering with withdrawal symptoms), if the season is abandoned does that mean Bolton will have "served" their points deduction?

• edited March 2020

@mooneyman said:
    Next question (I am already suffering with withdrawal symptoms), if the season is abandoned does that mean Bolton will have "served" their points deduction?

That's another good and very tricky question for the powers that be to decide on.

The biggest question is what is the final cut off for completing games. There simply has to be one. And it's impossible to judge how bad this virus will get and how long it'll go on.

If games aren't going to be able to be played, can you just take tables as they are now, or do you have to void it?

While Liverpool have a big lead, champions league, relegation and promotion throughout the leagues are all very tight. You can't award in one situation but not in others. What about games in hand, form, respective difficulty of fixtures etc.

When they say you never know what's going to happen in life, this certainly proves that!

• Unless you get all 92 clubs to agree to making the season void then I can't see how it can happen.
    Despite everything going on in the world I can see certain club owners taking the PL / EFL to court it a void season stops them getting promotion / european foottball etc

• It must be amazing to sit in the boardrooms of the PL and the EFL and watch people paid enormous sums to run the leagues having to actually do something. Like watching politicians who generally have to do a bit of light moving furniture about slightly during their years in government actually having to find solutions to pretty serious issues.

• But what is the answer if it is logistically impossible to complete the season due to the virus @Guppys_Left_Leg?

If you decide promotion and relegation based on the current positions there will be similar court action by the clubs losing out. Even if by some miracle the remaining games could be played, completion of the divisional play offs would be even less likely.

Some "experts" have suggested that there will be no relegation from the Premier and that Leeds and WBA will be promoted to make a 22 team Premier. I am sure Fulham for example are just going to sit back and accept that!!!

I think the season will be declared void with no promotion or relegation. There will be no grounds for legal action (unless there is something in the League rules to cover unfinished seasons) as the decision to abandon will be as a result of an act of God.

• No need to worry. The whole country will go into hibernation, wake up in 11 months time and we’ll just pick up from where we are now.

(Albeit there will be no buses to get to the ground, no petrol to drive, no Rebellion, the pitch will have to be cleared of grazing Alpacas and we’ll nearly have run out of Cheese and Onion crisps in the Vere (or whatever it’s called).

Now where is @LX1 when we need him...

• This may need some tweaking, but off the top of my head Liverpool get the title then Live on a Monday night at 7pm they bung the names of the next ten PL teams in a hat and Chris Kamara and Gary Neville pull out the Champions League and Europa League spot winners. And bottom six go in the bag for relegation. Ditto with the other leagues. Not only a lot of fun, but injustice, hatred and bitterness that will stay with fans for decades...much like the end of a normal season. I'll be pitching it to Sky and ITV next week :smiley: ! :smiley:

• @mooneyman said:
    But what is the answer if it is logistically impossible to complete the season due to the virus @Guppys_Left_Leg?

If you decide promotion and relegation based on the current positions there will be similar court action by the clubs losing out. Even if by some miracle the remaining games could be played, completion of the divisional play offs would be even less likely.

Some "experts" have suggested that there will be no relegation from the Premier and that Leeds and WBA will be promoted to make a 22 team Premier. I am sure Fulham for example are just going to sit back and accept that!!!

I think the season will be declared void with no promotion or relegation. There will be no grounds for legal action (unless there is something in the League rules to cover unfinished seasons) as the decision to abandon will be as a result of an act of God.

I think that's the issue. There is no logical conclusion.
    Whilst I do agree with voiding the whole season I can see some clubs being totally against it. Leeds and West Brom being two prime examples

Barrow just outside of the Football League could well be another.

I think there could be a chance for National Leagues to be finished but this would mean all remaining cup competitions (domestic and european) being scrapped, 2 games a week, plus play offs down to single games / just a final with everything being finished late June

Then next season's Europa league not having so many 'minnows' admitted meaning that could start later.
    Pre season (sort of) scrapped with the league cup early rounds starting the season then the early international window being scrapped

That might well work though it is very dependant on when games can restart - which i suspect will be mid April and behind closed doors for a few weeks - maybe with clubs being able to stream all matches on iFollow for say £5 a game

• I doubt games will be starting in April.

• Alternatively, cancel next season.
    Finish this season, next season. Then start the proper league up in 2021-22.
    Introduce a new competition for one season only for however long we have left.
    Play 8 leagues of 12. 3 teams in a league from each of the first 4 tiers, plus current top 5 in the conference. One game only to be played.
    Winners of each league go into a last 8 Cup competition - straight knockout.
    2nd and 3rd - go into a last 16 of their own.
    4th and 5th - into their own 16.
    6&7 etc
    8&9 etc
    10, 11 & 12 play for the booby prize.
    Lots of opportunity to play against clubs you normally wouldn't. Tommy tick-offs would be in dreamland.
    Club finances sorted.
    New equal share of sponsorship/TV for everyone and some much needed revenue.
    May then actually sort a lot of lower league finances out to.

• Lovely idea @Commoner (he said without having thought it through in any depth).