Skip to content

Comments

• Makes clear sense to suspend it.

Which at least would then mean that if they had to void the season that they'd allowed it every chance of continuing first.

• edited March 2020

I wonder if the PL, EFL etc. have any kind of contingency for settling the season in the event of an unprecedented public health crisis. Would be such a shame to have to just void it.

• edited March 2020

What happened in the war times? Presumably that was just voided immediately?
    Some stuff transcends sport.

Would obviously be beyond gutting to hijack Wycombe's amazing season though, but if they do suspend for 3-4 weeks, it seems hard to believe it'll get played deep into June. You would start having knockons into the next season. Not to mention loads of clashes, events hired out into grounds, plans from everyone etc.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I wonder if the PL, EFL etc. have any kind of contingency for settling the season in the event of an unprecedented public health crisis. Would be such a shame to have to just void it.

I doubt the EFL have a plan for anything other than when to meet up for a round of golf.

• edited March 2020

I wonder if they're banking on containing cases among players and being able to go again behind closed doors in a few weeks, but I suspect the reality will be very different - especially as the virus isn't anticipated to peak until around June.

• The football authorities would have to base their decision to suspend based on "integrity of competition" rationale. Not for them to double guess Government view that large crowds are at the moment OK.

Words for now can be for a defined short period but reality if government forecasts are correct, no way they will be playing before late summer, possibly later.

What to do about this season?

Cant see them voiding it - gone too far now surely

Cant see them doing at on points per game no playoffs (although if they did we would be promoted in third place by 0.02pts!)

So maybe they play out the season in autumn then have a short break and then start curtailed new season - maybe just no cups for a season if time allows, or only play say 30 games - not all teams played twice.

All of which if government predictions for this virus are anything like true is entirely unimportant in grand scale of things

• edited March 2020

The points per game solution seems sensible in theory, but not everyone has played everyone twice. I think they either void the season or complete it later down the line, but there's got to be a cut-off point where they have to make that decision.

• Seeing as this might happen more regularly as time goes on i would hope they use this as a wake-up call.

• A win this weekend and other results making us second...then they can abandon the season?

• @Malone said:
    What happened in the war times? Presumably that was just voided immediately?
    Some stuff transcends sport.

Would obviously be beyond gutting to hijack Wycombe's amazing season though, but if they do suspend for 3-4 weeks, it seems hard to believe it'll get played deep into June. You would start having knockons into the next season. Not to mention loads of clashes, events hired out into grounds, plans from everyone etc.

Do you really not know when the first and second world wars started?

• In the event of a longer postponement or possible cancellation I’d prefer that the existing 19/20 fixtures be played after the summer, with the season ending in November or something. Follow that with a break in Dec and then the following season begin in Jan but cut in half with teams playing each other just once rather than home & away.

It would be odd for sure. But the integrity of the competition is badly damaged if a season gets this far through and is then not completed.

• Leaving it for a month or more would also arguably damage the integrity too badly to continue. It would be like starting the season again. Voiding it seems the most likely outcome as things stand.

• Don’t agree myself. I think the competition has to be completed, even if it involves a huge delay and subsequent condensing of the following season.

Perhaps I’m slightly bias given our remarkable league position.

• Perhaps the results of the remaining fixtures should be decided by the pools panel?

• I'd suggest each team puts forward their strongest player for an arm wrestle, but that probably goes against current government advice.

• I don't see any problem in doing what they do in golf when bad weather stops play for the day.

Just restart next season in August and complete it. Adjust the following season schedule to start soon after. It might take a year ot two to get back on track but what is the problem with that. Golf's Ryder Cup has been a year late ever since the postponed 2001 competition.

On an aside a bet Chelsea are really happy their pointless Champions League second leg as bern put back. I wonder if there is a provision for scrapping needless games.

• This is totally unprecedented since organised football begun in 1871. There is absolutely no chance of voding the season. It completely destroys the integrity of each and every competition. It would lead to a cavalcade of legal challenges.

The season will be completed as soon as practicable and will certainly impact on next season, which I suspect will be unique and unlike any other.

• Good news for Scott Kashket though?!

• edited March 2020

You can't compare a four-day golf tournament to a nine-month football season.

• You also can't shorten next season - there'd be absolutely no integrity in that.

• I suspect this season will end up being voided. I fear that within a few months that whether or not we can finish the football season will barely register as a concern

• Given that they are saying the virus will flare up again next winter, it could be next season that is cancelled, completing this season in the autumn, with no football at the start of 2021? Otherwise we could just have the same as this season.

• The problem will be solved by the weaker and Infirm clubs going to the wall. Those that survive will perform in a much slimmed down competition.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    You also can't shorten next season - there'd be absolutely no integrity in that.

@chairboyscentral said:
    You can't compare a four-day golf tournament to a nine-month football season.

Firstly I can compare and did. Timescales are different but the premise the same

Secondly I have said nothing about shortening this or any future season in terms of games played. Just shorten the length of time it takes to play them. More midweeks or maybe cancel or take all replays from a cup competition.

• How many clubs will avoid severe financial crisis without revenue for the rest of the season and no season ticket sales over the summer?

• Do players get paid during the off seasonor do they get all there money in the months they play?