Skip to content

Cost to EFL clubs of games being played behind closed doors

Comments

• @Shev said:
    Utterly bizarre that our season began with doubts over the first home game (Bolton), and now has doubts over completion for a completely unrelated reason.

If season is cancelled do Bury get ready-instated?

• @carrickblue said:

@Shev said:
    Utterly bizarre that our season began with doubts over the first home game (Bolton), and now has doubts over completion for a completely unrelated reason.

If season is cancelled do Bury get ready-instated?

Re instated. (Auto correct plus rum.....)

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Just heard they've called a WHO concert off next month...not sure if that's for the protection of the crowd or the OAPS on stage. Rolling Stones must be having a good hard look at their tour schedule!

Why on earth were the WHO going on tour when they've got a pandemic to handle?

And if they can see for miles and miles how come they didn’t see this coming

I was thinking Everton and Man United...

United who need to qualify for the champions league and a voiding would see them dumped back in the Europa? I doubt it.

If just for the Liverpool being denied angle alone you could include most of the league!

• @Shev said:

It just tops off an utterly bizarre season with the Bury and Bolton situations.

• Emergency meeting today.
    With Leicester, City and Chelsea players now following Arsenal in having either contracted the virus or self isolating, they'll have to postpone their games as a minimum.

Will they postpone the whole round though?
    And if they do, surely we'll have to go into a suspension for a good few weeks, with no guarantee of when it could resume.

• Indeed. It seems that if the spread continues, at the anticipated rate, inevitably each week increasing numbers of players would be unable to play due to being in self-isolation (for example three out one week, then as they come back, maybe another four are out, etc etc), affecting each team randomly yet similarly. Each fixture, each week, is potentially under threat of postponement by one or other team, with maybe on one lucky week when a game or two might get played... In such a situation, maybe spreading out for weeks to come, there’s only really one outcome - an unfinished season.

• Suspend the season until May or June and reschedule the Euros to 2021?

• Doob

The government believes that the peak of this illness in the UK will be in roughly three months time - i.e. around may/June.

Once we stop it feels unlikely we could restart until late summer/early autumn.

• EFL and epl meeting this morning, doesn't look like they can keep the season going with various players etc confirmed with cv.

• The only good thing to come out of all this is liverpool either winning the league in an empty stadium or not winning it at all!!! Priceless

• I have never understood all the anti-Liverpool sentiment. What's wrong with them winning the league?

• No great love for the scousers but cannot see that they do not deserve to win the league. Klopp has done a great job there. Now Leeds winning the championship is a different matter...??

• Whether anyone likes the idea or not, they couldn’t possibly argue that Liverpool wouldn’t be worthy winners.

• Jamie Carragher, Jordan Henderson's face particularly
    his stupid looking mouth and iq, Roberto firminos teeth, Jurgen klopps teeth, Andy Robinson's gob, James Milner's jaw, Van dykes arrogance, there stupid little song before games, Steve Mcmanaman, Phil Thompson's nose, Steven Gerrard, there middle aged fan's wearing tracksuits...... shall i carey on?

I have never understood all the anti-Liverpool sentiment. What's wrong with them winning the league?

I’ve always thought Liverpool were a proud and ‘proper’ football club and really enjoyed my occasional visits to Anfield. One huge blight on their history is how they handled the Suarez / Evra affair. It was top down from the t-shirts to the fans on social media selling the narrative that Evra ‘had form’ in being racially abused or that it was ‘normal’ for people from Uruguay and we should judge him on British standards. Truly shameful scenes.

There is no denying they would be worthy winners on the league this year as @glasshalffull rightly asserts and Klopp and most of the current crop were not there at the time.

• How could i forget the support of there racist forward!!!

• Shouldn’t judge him on British stardards.

As an aside, why can I never edit my posts?

• Standards! Time for a new phone or thinner fingers...

• And the fact im also a bitter arsenal fan?

• @bigred87 said:
    Jamie Carragher, Jordan Henderson's face particularly
    his stupid looking mouth and iq, Roberto firminos teeth, Jurgen klopps teeth, Andy Robinson's gob, James Milner's jaw, Van dykes arrogance, there stupid little song before games, Steve Mcmanaman, Phil Thompson's nose, Steven Gerrard, there middle aged fan's wearing tracksuits...... shall i carey on?

Pleased to see that you have so many valid and thoughtful reasons for disliking Liverpool FC.

• There is a general dislike of Liverpool amongst supports of a certain age because Liverpool dominated the leagues so much in the 70s and 80s when they first became interested. Nobody likes the dominant team (unless they support them)

• Talking to my Southend supporting colleague who is convinced with their present troubles three or four weeks without revenue will bankrupt them...sobering times for the lower leagues which will be ignored by the meeja while they chat about the Euros being disrupted and delaying the strawberries and cream in SW19.

• @DevC said:
    There is a general dislike of Liverpool amongst supports of a certain age because Liverpool dominated the leagues so much in the 70s and 80s when they first became interested. Nobody likes the dominant team (unless they support them)

That’s a reason I can at least understand unlike some of the others expressed by a recent poster.

• See also Leeds in the 1970s...'tis the British football fan's way. Successful teams 'buy the league' or get 'all the luck' and I think we can all understand an Arsenal fan's dismay! :smiley:

• I think older fans' residual antipathy to Leeds is more about their (perceived) style of play around that period, isn't it.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I think older fans' residual antipathy to Leeds is more about their (perceived) style of play around that period, isn't it.

Still referred to as Dirty Leeds round our way! :smile:

• edited March 2020

I used to dislike Liverpool just because of the entitled nature of so many of their fan base after their dominant years but I absolutely love Klopp - as a human he seems very much like Gaz, a throughly decent person who treats everyone with respect whether they deserve it or not. I quite like Liverpool these days. And as far as we know they haven't bought the title by fiddling FFP rules.

• In a speech to Lloyds of London in 2006 our Glorious Leader - then a mere MP - stated that for him the hero of Jaws was the mayor...who kept the beaches open in the face of hysteria. We need more people like the mayor he went on as 'we are often the only obstacle against all the nonsense which is really a massive conspiracy against the taxpayer".
    It comes to something when the normally weak and ineffectual EFL makes a more sensible stand than the government!

• Used to often go to Crest Hotel at Handy Cross to see the Liverpool team leave before Wembley games.
    England used to stop there too until the Bryan Robson/Orchard Nightclub incident.