Skip to content

Dom Gape chant

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    I know I am in a minority amongst those who lived through the 1970s but I always hated (and still do) Bohemian Rhapsody.

Couldn't agree more! That and Imagine by John Lennon are, in my opinion, the 2 most over rated songs ever

• Their peak was before my time, but I've never 'got' Oasis - or Blur for that matter.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Their peak was before my time, but I've never 'got' Oasis - or Blur for that matter.

This is wronger than I was about Bayo

• @eric_plant said:
    Danny Baker quite often mentions how much he dislikes Queen

(he's wrong, obviously)

Must admit I like the odd Queen track but could not stand that one even before punk reared it's ugly head. Documentaries seem to show Freddie was quite a decent chap but between playing in apartheid South Africa and then that appalling musical I find much to dislike.

• I can't stand The Onion Song by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell; or Danny Baker for that matter.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    We built this city on rock and roll - Starship.

Massive downward trajectory from what was once a great band (pre-Starship obviously but I have a soft spot for Miracles)

• @FmG said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I know I am in a minority amongst those who lived through the 1970s but I always hated (and still do) Bohemian Rhapsody.

Couldn't agree more! That and Imagine by John Lennon are, in my opinion, the 2 most over rated songs ever

What grates about Imagine is the rank hypocrisy of it. 'Imagine No Possessions'? Him and Yoko were living in a luxury apartment with an entire room reserved for fur coats.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@FmG said:

@Wendoverman said:

What grates about Imagine is the rank hypocrisy of it. 'Imagine No Possessions'? Him and Yoko were living in a luxury apartment with an entire room reserved for fur coats.

Entire apartment I think you'll find @MindlessDrugHoover conceptual artist Yoko was also quite good at the money stuff! Although Imagine was written well before the Dakota period when they just had an estate in Surrey. :smile:

• @Cyclops said:
    I can't stand The Onion Song by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell; or Danny Baker for that matter.

I like Danny Baker. At least for a radio personality he did actually like music...

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Their peak was before my time, but I've never 'got' Oasis - or Blur for that matter.

If you don't get either of them, you're either very old, or very young.
    Pretty everyone who was teen to 20s at the time liked one or the other!

Oddly at the time, I preferred Blur, but now it's Oasis. Their peak mid 90s stuff obvs, not anything after. All turd.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Cyclops said:
    I can't stand The Onion Song by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell; or Danny Baker for that matter.

I like Danny Baker. At least for a radio personality he did actually like music...

Yep, liked the Baker. Him and Lineker's podcasts are quality.

• edited March 2020

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

If you don't get either of them, you're either very old, or very young.
    Pretty everyone who was teen to 20s at the time liked one or the other!

Oddly at the time, I preferred Blur, but now it's Oasis. Their peak mid 90s stuff obvs, not anything after. All turd.

If you can technically call Pulp and Suede Britpop bands, that's who I'd say I prefer.

• I liked Oasis and Pulp as they reminded me of my youth at the time. Probably because Oasis stole most of the Beatles and Slade riffs! Blur were dreadful mockneys.

• I was never a fan of the their Park Life nonsense and other earlier work - did see them once at a festival in 1992 and thought they weren't good and that Damon Albarn seemed a bit of a tosser - but I have to say that IMO Blur's post-Britpop "Think Tank" album is very good.

• I can heartily recommend Pulp's pre-Common People album 'His n Hers'. No idea what Dominic Gape would think of it though...

• I feel like Disco 2000 is just waiting to be turned into a football chant, but what I don't know.

• You can tell there is no football on.

Oasis (my predictive text just typed ISIS) are one of the greatest bands of my time.

• Oasis over Blur !! Every time..... absolute no brainer.

Btw whispers ( I quite like Sweet Caroline)

• edited March 2020

Shocking thread, this...

• I may have 27 downvotes for my musings on Matt Bloomfield's loyalty but at least I know that Blur trumps Oasis. And Pulp trumps Blur.

• @aloysius said:
    I may have 27 downvotes for my musings on Matt Bloomfield's loyalty but at least I know that Blur trumps Oasis. And Pulp trumps Blur.

Pulp had about two songs. In no way do they outrank Blur.

• Any news on Dom’s preferences?

• I didn’t know anyone still like Suede. Big fan of Oasis, Blur and Pulp (who have been going since the 70s and have slightly more than two songs). Mansun and Longpigs are two other bands from that era who don’t get as much credit as they deserve these days.

• The Oasis-Blur era makes me so nostalgic, with much to love, but neither band are worthy to tie The Beatles' shoelaces. I always hated Noel Gallagher acting as though he was on a similar level as a songwriter. George Harrison was the third best songwriter in The Beatles, but he would write rings around the Britpop bands.

• HaroldJuana for me every time.....

• Very relieved @Shev to hear someone acknowledging the supremacy (in that context, at least) of the Beatles. I reckon I’m virtually alone on here to have been at a lovelorn age when ‘I Wanna Hold Your Hand’, ‘She loves me, yeah yeah’ etc burst on the popular music scene and had such a dramatic emotional impact. Simple stuff.

Nothing too controversial or political in those days and references on here to hypocrisy (eg in relation to the words in ‘Imagine’) are an insight into the difference of attitude of later generations to popular music (and in particular the much greater emphasis on the lyrics).

My own musical interests are extremely catholic but, significantly I suppose, I have never really been able (or particularly wanted) to follow the words politicised pop or rock. Also, apart from the Classic FM style singling out of hackneyed popular arias, I’ve never been able to enjoy opera but I do love a wide range of Orchestral and Chamber Music from Beethoven to Shostakovich via Berlioz, Debussy, Elgar, Franck, Gershwin, Haydn etc etc. If I had to single out one masterpiece in the Chamber category it would be Schubert’s C Major Quintet - a sublimely profound emotional experience!

Of course, when it comes to the likes of Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat ‘King’ Cole, Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Mary Coughlan and Leonard Cohen (chosen at random from a faltering memory!) the words are very important and, in the case of all those mentioned and countless others, readily heard by deaf old sods like me.

I’ll refrain from mentioning my wide-ranging taste in jazz for fear of rousing my personal nemesis (purely in that context -the one and only @EddieMonsoon!

• I could drone on for hours about why and how The Beatles are the mountaintop of songwriting.

• I’m afraid I got into ‘drone mode’ earlier and thought long and hard before pressing the Post Comment button especially as I felt that “acknowledging” on your part was the wrong word, sounding like someone had sung the praises of the Beatles and you were agreeing!

I wonder what Dom’s musical tastes are?

• Schubert wrote some good songs and our German teacher played some Lieder if we’d behaved and it was a pleasant escape from German translation but not my cup of tea. Cole Porter for me.

• Is Cole Porter similar to Guiness?