Skip to content

David Stockdale

Comments

• Commoner and Fame46 are both spot on.

• @fame_46 said:
    Apologies on that. I thought he was close to making it. But so did Michael Ricketts and Carlton Palmer.

Carlton Palmer made 591 first team appearances most of which were in the Premier League (261) or the old First Division. He also got 19 England caps.

I'm not sure how he achieved all that, but most players with that record would consider they sort of made it!

• edited February 2020

Bloody hell! Bloomfield getting Twitter abuse? And I would imagine it's our 'true fans' rather than anyone randomly deciding to bother him! Twitter is an idiot's playground. Depressing.

• Which Wycombe players other than loanees have gone on to play for England?

• Probably the "tomato sauce" imbecile is one of them @Wendoverman!

• @mooneyman I could be wrong but I think Graham Taylor might have been the reason for quite a few of those caps. He was a bit of a 'what the...?' inclusion.

• For my part, I cannot say I do not have my heart in my mouth when the ball is pinging about in our area, but I do think the goalkeeper position is a poisoned chalice. I hear that Jamal Blackman shipped three against some crappy team not long ago....his defence must be very bad.

• @Wendoverman said:
    For my part, I cannot say I do not have my heart in my mouth when the ball is pinging about in our area, but I do think the goalkeeper position is a poisoned chalice. I hear that Jamal Blackman shipped three against some crappy team not long ago....his defence must be very bad.

Sunderland's first goal against Rovers at the weekend does rather sum up their defence, pure comedy stuff and we'll worth a watch.

• edited February 2020

There's a bloke usually behind me at games who repeatedly shouts at Blooms to get off the pitch. Alex Samuel seems to be the social media target of choice at the moment. I've probably been too critical of the odd player in the past, before starting the blog and looking deeper at things, but some people go way beyond the line of what's remotely acceptable. I've seen Giles Phillips told to get out of our club and Sido take abuse from the same account which apologised for labelling Samuel "a bag of s***" barely a week before. I just don't get it. Would the same people say it to the players' faces?

• But why say it at all? @chairboyscentral to me it's a complete over-reaction. Like someone calling one of our recent losses gutless and pathetic as if a season is a game at a time and everyone has the memory of a goldfish. If people cannot see what a player brings to the team that's one thing...but taking the time to attack them as if their drink-fuelled funknuttery was worth a second of anyone's attention is bizarre to me. Samuel and Sido have both played a part in our success in recent times. Despicable really. But then again AP had actually had a good game the afternoon someone decided to shout 'What oh, Mr Pierre, I fear you were not at your best upon the field of play today...'

• edited February 2020

@Wendoverman Exactly, they shouldn't say it at all. I'm interested, though, as someone who can't really remember the era before social media, is the abuse we see nowadays worse - or has much of it just moved online whereas before it was confined to the stands? I can't imagine football's general environment has become much 'kinder'.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Which Wycombe players other than loanees have gone on to play for England?

Tenuous, but Alex McCarthy?

• We'll take it!

• The difference today is the bullying and the abuse can now follow you around all day if you let it.

• I’m confused about all this talk about “class” and “form.” I thought we all knew Gareth just picks his mates

• Ah, Steve Guppy has one England cap.

• The culture of abuse is widespread online of course - not just in football but in politics and just comments on current affairs etc. Too often everything is absolute, never shades of grey and basic human decency seems to disappear. Sadly that culture then transfers back into real life. Newport fans thought it appropriate to chant abuse about the bradford fire at their game at the weekend. Just banter?

• Football fans have always been fickle and occasionally nasty, but social media has given them a wider platform to air their views. It’s a cowardly way of abusing people.

• @mooneyman said:

@fame_46 said:
    Apologies on that. I thought he was close to making it. But so did Michael Ricketts and Carlton Palmer.

Carlton Palmer made 591 first team appearances most of which were in the Premier League (261) or the old First Division. He also got 19 England caps.

I'm not sure how he achieved all that, but most players with that record would consider they sort of made it!

Not sure 261 as a % of 591 is ‘most’, 291 would be stretching it, but hey, whose counting?

• Indeed. Apparently Bradford manager’s dad was seriously injured in the fire. Not just one moron but enough to make it into a very audible chant thought this was an appropriate subject for a bit of football “Bantz”. Ho ho ho.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@mooneyman said:

@fame_46 said:

Not sure 261 as a % of 591 is ‘most’, 291 would be stretching it, but hey, whose counting?

Sorry for being pedantic, but he played 291 Premier League games PLUS well over 100 in the old first division (prior to its name change to the Premier. Hence "most" of his games were in the top level.

• In support of @mooneyman I understood him to be referring to both Premier League (quantified) AND 'old' First Division (unquantified) as being 'most' of his 591 games. Hence it's 261 + unspecified number as a % of 591.

Still doesn't alter the fact that Carlton Palmer was only ever a limited scuffler.

• Ah - i see @mooneyman can fight his own battles! deletedeletedelete

• I'm also depressed that you are too young to remember a time before social media @chairboyscentral when summers were longer, you didn't have to lock your doors, jumpers for goalposts, only three TV channels, drinking and driving optional, you knew who your enemies were (Russia and China) and all we had to worry about was possible annihilation in a massive nuclear war. And Dire Straits.

Which Wycombe players other than loanees have gone on to play for England?

We had a guy called Steve Guppy...

There's a bloke usually behind me at games who repeatedly shouts at Blooms to get off the pitch. Alex Samuel seems to be the social media target of choice at the moment. I've probably been too critical of the odd player in the past, before starting the blog and looking deeper at things, but some people go way beyond the line of what's remotely acceptable. I've seen Giles Phillips told to get out of our club and Sido take abuse from the same account which apologised for labelling Samuel "a bag of s***" barely a week before. I just don't get it. Would the same people say it to the players' faces?

One twat did last year.
    And got a richly deserved headbutt.

• @chairboyscentral Steve Guppy played in a friendly whilst at Leicester against Belgium. Perhaps deserved more caps given the chronic left winger shortage for England at the time. Dion Dublin made a phantom appearance for us at the start of his career and went to gain 4 England caps. The stairs lead to the bedrooms.

Off the top of my head Cyrille Regis and Ray Wilkins are former England players who have worn the quarters at the end of their careers

• And Danny Wallace

• ah yes! how could I forget that cameo!