Skip to content

Quest tv highlights

Anyone notice the barely-hidden playground sniping between Colin Murray and Ali Maxwell last night? At one point Maxwell appears to blow a kiss at the host. I found it all quite an enjoyable watch.

Comments

• Those two are always great value. And I found Nathan Jones a lot more bearable as a pundit than a manager!

• Nathan Jones was very good on Quest last night...agreed.

• Murray got his Nathans mixed up and didn’t care for Maxwell pointing it out on air. So he had a go back with some low-level jumper mockery. I guess it’s just modern day presenter ‘bantz’ in a Lineker stylee.

• Anyone got a link to it?

• I like Colin Murray s lot, by all accounts he was ditched from motd2 because jumped up premier league types couldn't handle any joking about at all.
    His podcasts are great, recent one with Ian Holloway is very good, music one pretty good too.

• I may have been reading too much into it but I thought Murray suggested Maxwell wouldn't be welcome again at the end

• Heard Gareth on Five Live on the way home and Mark Chapman said he and Gaz went way back. Anyone know the connection?

• I suspect nathan jones is a bit like gareth in that hes quite a decent fellow who can pick good players and motivate a team. Stoke was always going to be tough. I reckon if he'd gone to huddersfield and the Cowleys had gone to stoke it would have suited all parties much better.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    I like Colin Murray s lot, by all accounts he was ditched from motd2 because jumped up premier league types couldn't handle any joking about at all.
    His podcasts are great, recent one with Ian Holloway is very good, music one pretty good too.

Sorry, likes the sound of his own voice far too much for me. Don't think he's at all funny either, just irritating. Might just be an accent thing for me though.

• edited February 2020

When I interviewed Ian Holloway at the Lincoln game, he was talking about all the people he was getting to meet doing punditry, and Colin couldn't resist getting involved by shouting "People like me!" from across the table, so I kind of got the same impression in that sense - but I spoke to him briefly and he seemed a nice bloke, and I like him on the telly. Personally, I love the Northern Irish accent.

• Murray’s a top presenter. Lucky to have him slumming it on Quest. But no-one can top the criminally underused Gary Imlach.

• I know it's just telly and his job but he does seem keen on and knowledgeable about the football he's discussing to me and they have a good range of efl level.pundits on there rather than premier league has beens slumming it for money. In print I like former forest/cobblers player Gregor Robertson's Journeyman column in the Times.

• edited February 2020

@arnos_grove Does he ever do football? I know his dad was a pro in the 50s and 60s, but I only know him from ITV's cycling coverage. Agree he's great.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @arnos_grove Does he ever do football? I know his dad was a pro in the 50s and 60s, but I only know him from ITV's cycling coverage. Agree he's great.

I don’t really watch TV so didn’t know he was still going, but he was surprisingly competent at trailblazing gridiron on our screens in the late 80s and early 90s.

He was a slick presenter. Especially so as he was tasked with translating the ramblings of old former players to a dumbfounded or tired UK viewing audience, which couldn’t have been easy.

• @chairboyscentral I don’t think he’s ever presented football. His book about his dad’s career and football of that era is well worth finding out. I get the feeling the toll it took on the family has made him indifferent to the game.

Now only seen tucked away on ITV4 presenting the Tour de France & Vuelta a Espana. Which he does superbly.

• A good pal works with Murray and a while ago caught him watching a monitor with a mini fist pump yelling go on Wycombe so obviously a decent chap

• @crabbie said:
    A good pal works with Murray and a while ago caught him watching a monitor with a mini fist pump yelling go on Wycombe so obviously a decent chap

He does seem to like the club and Ainsworth that's why i don't mind him, he seems to know lower league football and likes a laugh he's the perfect host.

• Used to listen to him host fighting talk on radio 5 back in the day and thought he did a fairly decent job.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    Used to listen to him host fighting talk on radio 5 back in the day and thought he did a fairly decent job.

He still does and still does

• He’s been dictionary corner guest on Countdown on several occasions. Always has beautifully crafted and entertaining anecdotes.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    Used to listen to him host fighting talk on radio 5 back in the day and thought he did a fairly decent job.

FT isn’t quite as funny as it once was but still worth a listen if you like that sort of thing. Some of his At Home interviews are very well done. He does tend to talk a lot in them but you get the sense that his interviewees like him and to me he’s chatting to build rapport not to score points. Standouts were Kriss Akabusi and his recent one with Nadia Nadim. His series where he interviewed all the surviving GB Olympic medalists prior to London 2012 was rather good too.

• @micra said:
    He’s been dictionary corner guest on Countdown on several occasions. Always has beautifully crafted and entertaining anecdotes.

I didn’t know that but I’m not surprised.

• @Manboobs said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:

FT isn’t quite as funny as it once was but still worth a listen if you like that sort of thing. Some of his At Home interviews are very well done. He does tend to talk a lot in them but you get the sense that his interviewees like him and to me he’s chatting to build rapport not to score points. Standouts were Kriss Akabusi and his recent one with Nadia Nadim. His series where he interviewed all the surviving GB Olympic medalists prior to London 2012 was rather good too.

His Holloway at home is very good, love Blood on the tracks too.