Skip to content

Var yesterday at Stamford Bridge

24 hours on, and I can still not get my head round what went on after the Lo Celso stamp.
It was the most blatant,dangerous assault you could ever witness.
It was an absolute formality for Mr Coote in the Var studio to ask the ref to award a red card.
What an earth was Mr Coote thinking, or had he popped out for a shite and the tea lady had to make the call ?
If this was played out in other countries their would be all kind of calls that it was a betting scam,bribery,mafia involvement etc.
Frankly Mr Coote should be investigated, as he is ultimately given the power to remove a player who commits such an assault for the protection and welfare of other players.

Comments

• Add together an awful ref on the pitch with an awful ref in front of a TV screen and I am struggling to see how anything is going to get better decisions.

Haven't seen the incident but my entire journey home yesterday was spent listening to 'experts' and the general public trying to unpick it. Surely that debate was what VAR was meant to stop.

• VAR was brought in to correct clear and obvious errors, but you’ll never see a more clear and obvious error than the failure to issue a red card for that challenge. Meanwhile, goals are being ruled out for offsides by the most marginal fractions. I have never been a fan of VAR but regrettably I fear that it’s here to stay.

• @glasshalffull said:
    VAR was brought in to correct clear and obvious errors, but you’ll never see a more clear and obvious error than the failure to issue a red card for that challenge. Meanwhile, goals are being ruled out for offsides by the most marginal fractions. I have never been a fan of VAR but regrettably I fear that it’s here to stay.

Surely the TV companies funding the league have some leverage to make the sport better? Could it be possible that Sky threatened to cut its funding until the league sorted out this nonsense?
    Or do you think they actually like the artificially added controversy to fill a 24 hour news cycle and have helped build the monster?

• @glasshalffull said:
    VAR was brought in to correct clear and obvious errors, but you’ll never see a more clear and obvious error than the failure to issue a red card for that challenge. Meanwhile, goals are being ruled out for offsides by the most marginal fractions. I have never been a fan of VAR but regrettably I fear that it’s here to stay.

Do the Var operators in the studio get assessed like matchday officials ?
    If they do Mr Coote should never be allowed near a football match ever again.

• I think you overestimate Sky’s powers! They have no control over VAR or how the laws of the game are interpreted. The only area in which Sky has any control is moving the dates of fixtures and that alone causes enough controversy without them getting involved in VAR.

• I mean the Var officials in the bletchley studios, not sky or BT operators.

• edited February 2020

I thought it was a bit off that they admitted to BT Sport during the game that they'd cocked up. David Coote was also on duty for the the Leicester - City in the evening. I had faith in VAR longer than a lot of people, but it can absolutely get in the sea.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I mean the Var officials in the bletchley studios, not sky or BT operators.

Sorry Chas, my comments were in response to RITM’s post asking if the TV companies could influence how VAR is being used. Good question about assessment of VAR officials. They don’t have an assessor watching over them as they operate, but I’m sure that the Chelsea VAR will be asked to explain his decision.

• edited February 2020

Coote must be a closet Spurs supporter. In any other profession he would be sacked for gross negligence but we all know he will be in the studio again next week and picking up his fee.

• You would expect a cote to be in the closet to be fair.

• @mooneyman said:
    Coote must be a closet Spurs supporter. In any other profession he would be sacked for gross negligence but we all know he will be in the studio again next week and picking up his fee.

I see he was investigated for allegations of misconduct in 2017.
    Something sits very uneasily with me regarding that decision. No excuse for incompetence when he took about 3 mins to review it.

• You're spot on about how that would be treated by us if it was in another country.

• @mooneyman said:
    Cote must be a closet Spurs supporter. In any other profession he would be sacked for gross negligence but we all know he will be in the studio again next week and picking up his fee.

He made a mistake, nobody died, maybe we need to get back more to the pre-var idea that things work themselves out over a season , I know there's big club or attacking team bias but that won't go away with var anyway. By all means shout and appeal in the stands but do we need to call for sackings every time?

• That wasn't just a bog standard mistake !!

• But they are proffessionals. According to some that means they don't make mistakes.

• How you can excuse that VAR official is beyond me @StrongestTeam. Yes nobody died, but a players career could have been ended.

• @mooneyman said:
    How you can excuse that VAR official is beyond me @StrongestTeam. Yes nobody died, but a players career could have been ended.

Go back and ban him, whatever, think I'm just a bit bored of it all now, he wasn't injured, Chelsea won conclusively, no harm done really.

• VAR ruined yesterday for Bournemouth. A goal disallowed for going in off a player's shoulder, then another goals disallowed after a penalty was awarded to Burnley because the ball struck a Bournemouth player's shoulder moments earlier. Farcical.

Weren't Tranmere protesting that our first goal went in off Stewart's shoulder?

• Strangely inconsistent refereeing seems to have been replaced by inconsistent VARing! Handball at one end not handball at the other end and a clear stamp seen as not violent and harry maguire clearly booting someone in the bollocks not violent! And some of the toe, heel, nose offsides are just ridiculous!

• edited February 2020

@StrongestTeam said:

@mooneyman said:
    How you can excuse that VAR official is beyond me @StrongestTeam. Yes nobody died, but a players career could have been ended.

Go back and ban him, whatever, think I'm just a bit bored of it all now, he wasn't injured, Chelsea won conclusively, no harm done really.

If you're so bored of it, why have you specifically come onto a thread about VAR and chosen to debate it?

We're football nuts, we can debate all manner of stuff that doesn't really matter to the nth degree!

• edited February 2020

@ChasHarps said:

It was the most blatant,dangerous assault you could ever witness.

>

Having just seen it, I think this is ever so slightly creeping into hyperbole!!!

• VAR is absolutely atrocious and should be immediately scrapped at the end of the season.

• Agreed but sadly there is zero chance of that happening.

• edited February 2020

VAR should work. There are plenty of decisions where it immediately removes all doubt. "Oh, I though that was onside, but it was clearly off!" etc. If used in that manner, it will benefit the game.

The problem is twofold: The movement away from "clear and obvious", so that frames are broken down like the Zapruder film to see if a player had an atom of his big toe offside. The second is a complete lack of common sense and consistency in decision making, such as the red card at the Chelsea-Tottenham game which was not issued.

The first issue should be easy to fix. If an offside (or any decision) is not obvious with the naked eye, and has to have all kinds of lines drawn, let it be! No fans should complain about conceding a goal to an "armpit offside", as such things clearly do not provide an advantage. It is much more harmful to the game to get too granular, in a way that alienates the people watching with their own eyes, having no access to NASA satellite enhancements.

The second issue is more problematic, as common sense appears to have become "uncommon sense". Perhaps they should hold tryouts for VAR officials, by putting them through 'Clear and Obvious College'. Show them video of past incidents and ask them to make quick decisions, and explain their decisions rationally and quickly. Sift out the chaff from the wheat. Only then would VAR decisions be clear, obvious, and quick.

Unfortunately, I have no faith in ANY of football's governing bodies. If I could choose one for extinction, I would look at FIFA, UEFA, the Premier League, the FA, and the EFL, and scratch my head. Part of me wonders if the powers that be do not even care about VAR's problems - the PL has become such a boring procession, that perhaps they are under the assumption that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Either way, the PL becomes increasingly unwatchable. Three yard passes, short corners, moneyed hierarchy, victimization of small clubs, and now this.

• How do three-yard passes and short corners make the Premier League unwatchable?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    How do three-yard passes and short corners make the Premier League unwatchable?

If this is a hint of the anti-anti-football line of thinking that has it that football was better when there was a bit more honest combativeness and straightforward directness, I think I kind of get it and am in sympathy with it. Who hasn't tuned into a Premier League game and yawned as the tippy-tappy play moves from five yards short of one penalty area to the other and back again?

• By which I mean to say that, while I am right up there with those that find our style of play guileless and often somewhat dispiriting, the alternative is not necessarily preferable or better.

• edited February 2020

Liverpool, City, Leicester, Chelsea, Sheffield United and Wolves - and even Arsenal based on the last couple of games - are all exciting teams in their own way. I think all systems and methods can be interesting - there is no right or wrong way to play - but ours isn't the most entertaining, admittedly. Still, as I'm writing in a piece at the moment, it works and that's the most important thing.

• Looked at objectively, I guess that, in professional sport, that might be a fair measurement. And that that might be an argument against professional sport. I have made more than one observation of the Six nations this weekend that has made me think that rugby is inheriting some of the worse aspects of football and that that is largely down to professionalism.

• I watched the Hamburg derby yesterday and was struck by a few things...

1. There were some crunching tackles going in throughout the game, and if it was a hard but fair challenge the ref just let the play carry on. This made for a much better spectacle than we get in the English game with every sodding tackle being a free kick.
    2. There were two goals ruled out by VAR, and both so seamlessly done that BT Sport didn’t even know one of them was ruled out and had the wrong score on screen for about 20 minutes.
    3. That was all we saw of VAR. No 5 minutes waits with players all standing around waiting, no forensic evaluation of every offside, nothing. It was actually acceptable as it didn’t ruin the sport for anyone.

I don’t know if refs are fully professional in Germany, but the ref for that match was better than any I see over here.