Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere

Comments

• The pitch is beginning to look like a ploughed field, can't be many worse in the division at the moment.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Having watched the highlights, I'm not convinced the foul for the penalty was inside the box - but who cares?!

I have to admit that I was the one sneaking out and missed the Penalty - but from the highlights I seriously reckon that one of those chaps invading the pitch was taken down well outside of the box !!

• Have you seen Tranmere’s?!

• @drcongo said:
    Have you seen Tranmere’s?!

I saw their beach

• MOTM for the first half: The Wind
    MOTM for the second half: Fred

• Big 3 points. At this stage of the season the result is more important than the performance and the conditions-swirling wind and bobbly surface-were hardly conducive to flowing football. Despite that, once we’d got to grips with the conditions we went on to play some excellent football.

• edited February 2020

That penalty incident was pure Alex Samuel, almost certainly wasn't going to get to that ball but put his body on the line and forced the 'keeper to come out - and got his reward. A lot of players would accept they weren't going to score and ease up. Got to love the bloke.

• Me ‘It is blowing a gale, play it on the floor’
    Me ‘The pitch is like a rutted bog, hoof it’

• @arnos_grove said:

@prufrock_91 said:

Also, in contrast to some on here, I thought Curtis had a poor game. He gave away a poor FK for their goal, misplaced many passes and was ultimately taken off.

I’m sorry, but you’re simply wrong about Curtis. Borderline MOTM for me and only subbed to reduce the risk of a second yellow. Him and Gape were on it from minute one.

A scruffy old first half but I thought we were great in the second. Created lots of chances - could’ve easily had 5.

Good times!

Fine for us to disagree, but I dont recall seeing him make any more than one or two passes to a teammate.

Also he was calling for the foul which led to the FK by climbing all over their player. But again, fine to have different opinions without being 'simply wrong'

• edited February 2020

I appreciate "one or two" doesn't literally mean one or two, but fwiw he did make 17 - more than any Wycombe player apart from JJ.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I appreciate "one or two" doesn't literally mean one or two, but he did make 17, fwiw - more than any Wycombe player apart from JJ.

Then I'm fine to be proven wrong, I just thought he looked a bit rudderless charging around. These discussions dont need to get so point-scorey fwiw

• edited February 2020

@prufrock_91 said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I appreciate "one or two" doesn't literally mean one or two, but he did make 17, fwiw - more than any Wycombe player apart from JJ.

Then I'm fine to be proven wrong, I just thought he looked a bit rudderless charging around. These discussions dont need to get so point-scorey fwiw

Not trying to score points at all - I wouldn't have got anywhere near 17 if I had to guess off the top of my head, just like I was surprised to see we had as many as 22 shots. Sorry if it sounded like that. Pass completion doesn't mean much on its own anyway, especially not with the way we play.

• @prufrock_91 said:

@chairboyscentral said:

LOL. 'Fine to be proven wrong'. Really?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@prufrock_91 said:

@chairboyscentral said:

LOL. 'Fine to be proven wrong'. Really?

Absolutely. We all support the same team, no need to dig people out on forums after a win, plenty of chances to do that after losses.

I thought we played poorly today against a bad team, and Curtis seemed to charge around a lot with little effect. Happy to see that hes having such an impact after a little poor run of form.

• Fantastic three points. Shame Rotherham won their game in extra time. However, the fact that we are still right up there in the mix is a phenomenal achievement, regardless of how the rest of the season goes.
    The wind was really weird this afternoon - much of more of a factor in play than first appeared to be the case.
    Agree that Fred and JJ are forging a strong partnership down the left side - saw some lovely interlinking play this afternoon, Fred’s cross and Bayo’s header - pure quality.
    Re Thompson - agree with some others - he’s not yet back to his best IMHO. Good off the ball and breaking up play, but his distribution was really poor at times - lots of aimless hoods up field.
    Final word re Darius - I thought he was limping a bit today - not because he is injured, but rather that is now his natural state of being. I really hope he is not doing himself any long term damage by playing on. I watched him closely during the game - he cuts out / wins so many balls in the air and reads the game so well. He is the reason we win games / or often lose them when he’s not available.
    What a brilliant season!! ? COYB.

• edited February 2020

I genuinely think the mistake for the goal was the first Darius has made all season - he's just an absolute machine.

• The conditions made that game quite an ugly battle, without much cohesive football on show. But we won more of the 50/50 balls than Tranmere and when there were opportunities to get the ball down and play we looked dangerous through Smyth and Fred.

Excellent performance from Fred in particular, who really looks like he is aiming to make up for lost time. He was the stand out player by a substantial margin and gave his opposing full back a torrid time for the second consecutive game. Strength, speed, skill and willing to work back and do the ugly stuff - what a player! His return has given me renewed confidence we can sustain our top 6 position.

If we can keep that 11 fit for the rest of the season I think we could be in for a very exciting finish. The threat of having two dangerous wingers on either side has given us much more balance. We look less dependent on the midfield and full backs to get forward and support the build up play. They still do so on occasions, but it isn’t a necessity so they’re able to sit in at times and let the wingers do their thing without the need for reinforcements.

As others have mentioned, the penalty was typical of Samuel. Throws his body in where it hurts when other strikers would have given up on the ball. Gape was able to play that pass into no mans land precisely because he knows Alex will make the most of those situations.

Like Bolton, I thought Tranmere were half decent. Worked hard and certainly don’t seem to have given up. Despite that they lacked a real goal threat and could easily have conceded more than 3.

• I thought we played poorly today against a bad team, and Curtis seemed to charge around a lot with little effect. Happy to see that hes having such an impact after a little poor run of form.

I think you’ve made your point and I’m sure you’re not going to change your mind, but you’re pretty much a lone voice in believing that we played poorly.

• I like to have a read through our opposition’s forum and this post from 9am will bring a smile to some faces. I do love how people think we are just a team who are lucky and will he ‘found out’... 33 games out of 44, I’m pretty sure this isn’t just luck!

Wycombe wanderers are a very poor team. all they have is a striker who must weigh about 50 stone and cannot run. if we can keep him quiet we could sneek a 1-0 win. I am very surprised they have been near the top of the league all season, I really think they will not even make the play offs and are so over rated. then gareth ainsworth can go off and rejoin his band were he is the lead singer.

• Gaz quit the band?

• @glasshalffull said:

I thought we played poorly today against a bad team, and Curtis seemed to charge around a lot with little effect. Happy to see that hes having such an impact after a little poor run of form.

I think you’ve made your point and I’m sure you’re not going to change your mind, but you’re pretty much a lone voice in believing that we played poorly.

I'm happy to say we managed to turn it around after their goal, and concede to the cliche that 'it's a game of two halfs'. But, were you really happy with that first half drudgery? And could say we played well in that first 45?

• Or halves, even.

• You are ignoring the conditions and the fact that Tranmere also elected to play a long ball game so it was never going to be a classic. I don’t judge a game on 45 minutes and if our remaining games follow a similar pattern to today’s, I’ll be absolutely delighted.

• That's a fair point, I was just surprised we elected to play the long ball game on a windy day against a towering defence. But, as you say, delighted with the win, so all is good.

• It’s like the old showbiz adage.....better to start slowly and finish on a high than the other way round!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @glasshalffull said:
    It’s like the old showbiz adage.....better to start slowly and finish on a high than the other way round!

Also applicable when taking hallucinogens.

• I’ll take your word for that Doc!

• edited February 2020

Bayo and JJ are still tied for leading scorer (9 goals each), but Bayo is out in front in terms of goal contributions (goals + assists) with 14. Who'd have thought before we signed him that he'd end up playing such a huge part in a League One promotion-chasing side? I don't know how much longer he can go on for, but there will never be another player like him.

• From the moment he walked through those curtains in the Vere/Caledonian to reveal that he’d joined us, the man has been an absolute superstar on and off the field.