Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere

Comments

• I only wondered if Bayo wouldn't start as Monthé has handled him very well historically - which he did today apart from when it counted, kind of important.

• How on earth did Fred not get MOTM?

• Boom. Could watch Joe Jacobson all day.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Thompson looked back to his usual, brilliant pain in the arse self.

Agreed. Fred and JJ also brilliant. Good cameo from Samuel at the end as well.

I thought we actually looked better in the 2nd half when we couldn’t rely on route one so much (with the wind) and had to play it on the ground more.

We dealt the conditions better today as well, which is nothing less than I’d expect from a GA team.

• edited February 2020

• edited February 2020

Thank goodness for the stats, because I never would have had us down as out-shooting them 22-3.

• Gaz on 5live right now

• @drcongo said:
    Imagine how deflated @prufrock_91 must be now!

More perky, but it's tough to let the result gloss over how turgid that first half was. Even when 2-1 up, our lack of skill at passing was bewildering. Also, in contrast to some on here, I thought Curtis had a poor game. He gave away a poor FK for their goal, misplaced many passes and was ultimately taken off.

• Terrific 2nd half performance, thought we were close to our best today. Fred makes such a difference, wonderful skill to set up Bayo..

Really enjoyable game and nice to see us make a struggling team, look like a struggling team. There was a clear quality gap between the sides in the 2nd half.

• @prufrock_91 said:

@drcongo said:
    Imagine how deflated @prufrock_91 must be now!

More perky, but it's tough to let the result gloss over how turgid that first half was. Even when 2-1 up, our lack of skill at passing was bewildering. Also, in contrast to some on here, I thought Curtis had a poor game. He gave away a poor FK for their goal, misplaced many passes and was ultimately taken off.

Pleased you have perked up - difficult game for both sides given the conditions, I thought we dealt with it more professionally hence the result - I also thought Curtis was immense today, and as someone else mentioned, back to his old self.

• edited February 2020

I really liked how Curtis drifted to the left to support JJ and Fred, mucking in and doing the dirty work but also delving into his box of tricks and bringing out some lovely flicks and the like to get us out of tight spots - one in particular which I think sent Joe through to cross for Fred who just missed?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I really liked how Curtis drifted to the left to support JJ and Fred, mucking in and doing the dirty work but also delving into his box of tricks and bringing out some lovely flicks and the like to get us out of tight spots.

Yes exactly that - and the work done off the ball is so important and very rarely recognised, Curtis does this so well - today he was absolutely brilliant.

• edited February 2020

@Ceefax_Striker said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I really liked how Curtis drifted to the left to support JJ and Fred, mucking in and doing the dirty work but also delving into his box of tricks and bringing out some lovely flicks and the like to get us out of tight spots.

Yes exactly that - and the work done off the ball is so important and very rarely recognised, Curtis does this so well - today he was absolutely brilliant.

Obviously not the first time he's done it, but I think it was the first time he's done it that well in a while! Hopefully over the apparent niggle which might have still been troubling him, such a key component of the midfield.

• I think inviting another team on the pitch trying to stop you playing was a big mistake by the club, especially one that desperately needed the points. It made us look poor to some gasroomers so Gareth needs to sort that out. Thought Fred and Smyth had good games today as did Curtis gape and Wheeler so dont necessarily agree that the midfield was crap. Except for one error (Admittedly a ghastly one!) I also thought the defence played well. Pitch and conditions were awful so an important win. That big man. He's quite good isnt he? Even though it looked like he could not jump today. As i had predicted a 2-1 I was almost willing joe to.miss. Only almost. Tranmere did not have to biff alex...very soft pen.

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Gareth not listening to the gasroom it seems. Bayo and Thompson start.

Bayo is only ever one game off the drone army starting up

So pleased for Bayo tonight equaling Tysons goal scoring record, he is an absolute Wycombe Legend and hopefully he can keep the goals coming for the run in this season.

Tys got a very credible hat trick today for Chesterfield - SIGN HIM UP !!

• @prufrock_91 said:

Also, in contrast to some on here, I thought Curtis had a poor game. He gave away a poor FK for their goal, misplaced many passes and was ultimately taken off.

I’m sorry, but you’re simply wrong about Curtis. Borderline MOTM for me and only subbed to reduce the risk of a second yellow. Him and Gape were on it from minute one.

A scruffy old first half but I thought we were great in the second. Created lots of chances - could’ve easily had 5.

Good times!

• I love that Fred has already lived up to sky high hopes, after a whole fan base has pined for him for months. What a player!

• Quite a few wycombe fans will be kicking themselves in years to come that they didn’t enjoy this season.

• Thompson was excellent today and it was never their free kick that led to their goal which came out of nothing.

That's the best I've seen us since mid December.

Fred clear MOM and forging a really formidable partnership on that left side with JJ. Several good moves down that wing not least our second goal which was wonderfully created by Fred and finished off by a fantastic trademark header from Bayo.

Top stuff today, big tests now to come!

• @arnos_grove said:

@prufrock_91 said:

Also, in contrast to some on here, I thought Curtis had a poor game. He gave away a poor FK for their goal, misplaced many passes and was ultimately taken off.

I’m sorry, but you’re simply wrong about Curtis. Borderline MOTM for me and only subbed to reduce the risk of a second yellow. Him and Gape were on it from minute one.

A scruffy old first half but I thought we were great in the second. Created lots of chances - could’ve easily had 5.

Good times!

I thought Curtis was subbed as he had run his socks off !! - but others may see differently, all in all we won, and I would not criticise any of our brilliant team in very difficult weather conditions.

• Also against the grain... I though Thompson was one of our poorest performers today, and wasnt surprised he was took off ( he just constantly lumped it up in the air) funny how we all see it differently

Thought Fred, Dom, Darius and JJ were the standouts... also though Alex's last 5 cameo was good.

Good 3 points.... let's keep going !!!

• Fred certainly MOM for me, not sure what the match sponsors were drinking in their exec box.
    First half was terrible, although we were the better side and possibly deserved Stewarts goal - I wasn't sure if it was scored with his arm but the ref gave it so who cares!
    Really good 2nd half, Fred makes such a difference with his pace and trickery. Keep him fit and we have a chance this season
    COYB

• The 'T' is missing at the end of all my thoughts.....

Before the spelling police get busy !!

• Got subbed cos he was a yellow surely?? Mini pitch invasion after JJ's pen...... great scenes

• Not too sure what happened with Wheeler at FT who ran off Family Stand side with the stadium manager. I've seen someone in his car was reportedly being taken to hospital. I hope everything is ok.

• @bigred87 said:
    Got subbed cos he was a yellow surely?? Mini pitch invasion after JJ's pen...... great scenes

Possibly @bigred87, but I saw it differently - not been able to get to a home match since the Coventry disappointment so today was quite a different experience for me and I never felt we would lose, even after Tranmere had equalised.

• Having watched the highlights, I'm not convinced the foul for the penalty was inside the box - but who cares?!

• I think that ref owed us one tbf.

• With the wind and the pitch it's pointless judging today on any real footballing level. We just had more quality in the key moments and more battle and industry across the whole match.

A proper banana skin avoided today.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    With the wind and the pitch it's pointless judging today on any real footballing level. We just had more quality in the key moments and more battle and industry across the whole match.

A proper banana skin avoided today.

Spot on