Skip to content

Hungerford Town away

Comments

• edited February 2020

@our_frank said:
    @floyd I get the impression that @chairboyscentral strangely finds matches a bit of an inconvenience altogether: his lack of grief when we were so appallingly knocked out of the FA Cup (to the Tranmere team that he seems oddly contemptuous of in the run up to Saturday's game); his positive joy at the consequent empty Saturdays and the prospect of somehow getting one over on our rivals; and now the desire to see us pull out of the B&B.

Yeah, I hate matches, that's why I've been to 20-odd this season. I was a little annoyed about going out of the FA Cup as I have some fond memories of it and there was some financial benefit to be had - it just wouldn't have been club-saving with the new owners coming in - but I got over it. Not sure why you think I was delighted about free Saturdays, it was just a good season to go out early (btw, isn't all joy positive?) as we wouldn't have wanted a fixture pile-up during a potential promotion push. And I didn't say we should pull out; I said we shouldn't have entered in the first place. Suggesting we try to throw the B&B game was obviously a piss-take, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if we went out - the longer we're in it, the more risk to players, which we absolutely don't need.

• edited February 2020

@Malone said:
    Definitely a generational thing.
    When you're non league this cup is probably a thrill.
    League one team near the top of the league with no fringe team? Barmy.
    There was a reason we pulled out. What's the reason for ahem..pulling back in?

The announcement back in August: https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2019/august/wanderers-re-enter-berks--bucks-senior-cup/

Gareth:

"We had to make the difficult decision not to take part in the cup five years ago, to make sure we didn't over-burden ourselves with too many fixtures given the small squad we had at the time.

I believe we started 2014/15 with a 22-man squad, so basically the same size as this season's.

"This season we've been able to strengthen the squad in terms of quality and numbers, and we want to make sure that everyone stays fit and sharp so that they're ready to be called upon when needed.

Our squad this season has never been more than three bigger than the one with which we ended last season (we currently only have 24 players vs last season's final 23)...

"Entering the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup provides the opportunity for us to play more competitive matches throughout the season to give more minutes to more of the boys, and of course we'll be looking to win every game that we play - as we always do - so it would be great if we could end the season with some silverware."

Fine I suppose, but we were always likely to have to risk one or two first team regulars, and that's looking very much like the case.

• Fans getting giddy over the Berks and Bucks trophy are trying far too hard to be hipster

Do a half time raffle on Saturday and let the first 11 tickets drawn out play. The first team can concentrate on Doncaster away instead

• You're getting mixed up with the Sherpa Van pal.

The Berks & Bucks Senior Cup dates back to 1878-79 and should be the club's main focus.

• Am I imagining things, but wasn't there a time when the B&B took precedence over league matches when we were a non league club ? I'm pretty sure when we were drawn away to Didcot in the late 80's under Jim Kelman, we had to postpone our conference game as Didcot didnt have floodlights, so the tie had to be played on a Saturday. I think a ruling shortly after this by the Berks and Bucks committee stated that all entries to the B&B senior cup must now have floodlights.
    I hope I havent dreamt this all up !!!!

• "You back Bucks, I'll back Berks"

• Priceless! Best chortle for a very long time. Thanks @LX1 .

• A cup.is a cup. That's my view until fred gets clogged on a quagmire before the run-in.

• Anyone know if their clubhouse serves West Berks Brewery beer? Could be the deciding factor on making the trip.

• @floyd said:
    Yates

Sido
    Phillips
    Oboforh
    Grimmer

JGS
    Pattison
    Freeman
    Bloomfield

Parker
    Samuel

No idea what the bench looks lije tbf, but there's 11 that wouldn't start the following Staurday, all other things being equal.

Why does everyone think that JGS can play? He is out on loan. You can't draft him back in for cup games, surely?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, if the reason for Stockdale not starting is "match fitness", then surely entering this competition is for that reason...to get/keep players sharp. (Along with beating MK for some reason. Not too sure why people get so het up on this - not worth the energy wasted!)

Are Reading in it this season?

• Surely if this game is for match fitness Fred should be the first name in the teamsheet?

A trophy in May would be the perfect end to a great season

• Yes Reading are away to Marlow

• To @chairboyscentral

Genuine question, and assuming you were fairly local to the ground, if we were to arrange a friendly at home to some Scandanavian football team (for example) on the free weekend when we were down to play Bury, would you go along to watch it?

(I'm not points scoring or 'true-fan' calling out or anything, just interested in your - as a relative representative of the younger generation of football fan - thoughts)

• edited February 2020

@bookertease Probably not as I don't tend to go to friendlies, but a game in a free slot like that would be less disruptive than midweek - and a friendly, in theory at least, less of a risk than a competitive game v a non-League side probably well up for it. Obviously we're two league games short this season, but I don't think that suddenly means two B&B games (assuming we play that many) have less of an impact. 44 or 46-game season, I still don't think we should be risking first teamers in competitive games we've effectively added to the calendar.

• Thanks @chairboyscentral. My personal view is that on balance it is better for fringe players to get as much game time as possible and the more competitive these are the better. Injuries are a bit of a lottery and can happen just as much in training although I understand how frustrating it must be if it does happen in what some see as a meaningless game.

• I've read some stuff on here over the years but saying winning the Berks and Bucks trophy at the end of a season where we've been top of league 1 for much of it and never out of the play off places would be the "perfect" has got to be up there amongst the daftest

Each to his own I suppose. I'd say promotion would be the perfect end to the season myself

• no reason we can't do both..

• They should move the B&B cup to take place late July / early August so that we could do that instead of friendlies.

• @eric_plant said:
    I've read some stuff on here over the years but saying winning the Berks and Bucks trophy at the end of a season where we've been top of league 1 for much of it and never out of the play off places would be the "perfect" has got to be up there amongst the daftest

Each to his own I suppose. I'd say promotion would be the perfect end to the season myself

I think ' All the lad said was you didn't play well today...' was dafter.

• @drcongo said:
    They should move the B&B cup to take place late July / early August so that we could do that instead of friendlies.

Good idea, doc. I can never work out why clubs in the Europa League don't use the qualifiers in the same way...rather than moan about how early they start and how many games they've got to play.
    ( I'm assuming that it's more complicated than that which is why I am not a UEFA delegate earning a million euros a year.)

• @Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:
    I've read some stuff on here over the years but saying winning the Berks and Bucks trophy at the end of a season where we've been top of league 1 for much of it and never out of the play off places would be the "perfect" has got to be up there amongst the daftest

I think ' All the lad said was you didn't play well today...' was dafter.

Was that after the Tesco 'incident'?

• I'm just under 30 and honestly see the Berks and Bucks as a pub cup, happy to enter it so long as it's just for fitness of the fringe players and we don't have players going into 50/50s and getting hurt.

In terms of our season it's less important than the league cup was for Liverpool, but we don't have a youth team to put out.

• @drcongo said:
    They should move the B&B cup to take place late July / early August so that we could do that instead of friendlies.

Now that idea seems to tick all boxes

• Fear of injuries is not a valid concern considering players are just as likely to get injured in training anyway.

Grimmer's current long term injury and Smyth's 3 month absence earlier this year were both down to injuries which didn't occur during a match.

• Our return to the Berks and Bucks cup can't come soon enough. Anyone* who was there to see John Cornforth's wonder free-kick in the 1999 final against Maidenhead at Chesham will know all about the magic of the grand old tournament.

* = and left immediately after Cornforth's goal

• What division two game was happening the same day that had mattered to our relegation fight? Chesterfield and someone?

• Forest used to play the County Cup as a pre-season event with Mansfield Town and Notts County the other entrants. Previous year’s winner went straight to the final and the other two played off in the semi. There were some good games, especially as Brian Clough always put out a strong team for every match including testimonials.

I guess our equivalent competition would have Reading and MK Dons as our opponents. Maybe Maidenhead and Slough Town could join in as well?

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Forest used to play the County Cup as a pre-season event with Mansfield Town and Notts County the other entrants. Previous year’s winner went straight to the final and the other two played off in the semi. There were some good games, especially as Brian Clough always put out a strong team for every match including testimonials.

I guess our equivalent competition would have Reading and MK Dons as our opponents. Maybe Maidenhead and Slough Town could join in as well?

That’s quite a Wanderer-centric view. The B&B promotes connections between local non-league clubs and is to be cherished and nurtured.

It would take quite some front to tell the smaller teams they could no longer enter and that the league clubs were going to use it as a pre-season warm-up.

• doesnt really work as an idea anyway. what happens if you plan your preseason around 3/4 B&B cup games and then lose in the first round. Besides doesn't a lg1 need to test itself against better opposition than Hungerford or Marlow or Flackwell heath pre-season?

• They would be useful preseason friendlies for all the.local.clubs involved whatever their level. And i concur about cloughie...a cup is a cup was his mantra with a view that success breeds success.