Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

1235»

Comments

• edited February 2020

@Right_in_the_Middle A lot, as I'm writing up at the moment. I don't think it was possible to play as badly as Tuesday, but I'd argue yesterday was our best performance from start to finish since Tranmere away. Bolton didn't have too much about them, but they also weren't pushovers and have had some good results at home, so it wasn't just a case of facing easier opposition either.

• edited February 2020

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2020/2/16/21139284/player-ratings-bolton-wanderers-0-2-wycombe-wanderers As I say, I didn't think Bolton were that bad - but their biggest fansite are not happy.

• I'll look forward to reading your thoughts because for me I wasn't too upset losing to a good Fleetwood side with Charles missing.

• @our_frank said:
    @chairboyscentral I thought that about the penalty and the goalkeeper, too.

I really don't approve of the "double jeopardy" rule change, as I don't think defenders should be encouraged to take their chances denying goal-scoring opportunities. But if you're going to have "no attempt to play the ball" exceptions to it, then the rule ought to be applied consistently, as opposed to barely at all. Giles Phillips should be grumpy watching that one back after his Posh dismissal.

While we can all argue about whether Phillips actually did touch the fella, I suppose you can't argue pushing someone from behind can ever be a legitimate attempt for the ball.

Whereas a keeper storming out and smashing someone can be.

I'd have kept the rule as it was. Superb when you benefit from it!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2020/2/16/21139284/player-ratings-bolton-wanderers-0-2-wycombe-wanderers As I say, I didn't think Bolton were that bad - but their biggest fansite are not happy.

I remember a few of our fans actually thinking Bolton had a decent chance of staying up.
    Not quite sure why to be honest, they had an absolutely monumental distance to make up, and despite now not playing the kids, as per the first day, they still have a bit of a quickly assembled ramshackle job of an outfit.

• They were never likely to stay up, but Southend and Tranmere both spring straight to mind as worse teams we've faced 'on the day' this season. Probably one or two others as well.

• I did not see on the highlights but did tje keeper get a red? Surely he was the last man or was there someone behind him?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I did not see on the highlights but did tje keeper get a red? Surely he was the last man or was there someone behind him?

Yellow, the reasoning being he was making a genuine attempt to play the ball. Hmm...

• @Wendoverman said:
    I did not see on the highlights but did tje keeper get a red? Surely he was the last man or was there someone behind him?

Long changed the last man rule.
    As long as you're making a "legit" challenge you can utterly mash someone first.

• edited February 2020

@ryan_w_kirkby said:
    My only negative from today were a few idiots in our end who sang how shit must you be were winning away, must of heard it about 20+ times. 99% of the songs they did sing were aimed at Bolton, going down, wanky wanderers etc. Pathetic.

I was near them, they definitely weren't Wycombe fans. Judging by their accents, probably from Preston, Burnley or any of Bolton's other beloved near neighbours, hence their dubious 'support'.

• Hello all, Chester FC supporter here.
    My team didn’t have a game yesterday so I went on a groundhop to your game as I had never visited the University Of Bolton Stadium before. I have compiled a match vlog which shows all of the goals plus much more, so feel free to watch if you wish:

Best of luck to you for the rest of the season.
    Thanks, Rio Doherty.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@ryan_w_kirkby said:
    My only negative from today were a few idiots in our end who sang how shit must you be were winning away, must of heard it about 20+ times. 99% of the songs they did sing were aimed at Bolton, going down, wanky wanderers etc. Pathetic.

I was near them, they definitely weren't Wycombe fans. Judging by their accents, probably from Preston, Burnley or any of Bolton's other beloved near neighbours, hence their dubious 'support'.

Didn't they have Wycombe tops on? The only Wycombe song I remember them singing was a dreadful Akinfenwa one.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I remember a few of our fans actually thinking Bolton had a decent chance of staying up.
    Not quite sure why to be honest, they had an absolutely monumental distance to make up, and despite now not playing the kids, as per the first day, they still have a bit of a quickly assembled ramshackle job of an outfit.

That would be me. Perhaps it is my innate desire for the underdog to be victorious like the Torquay miracle. That said I would take the six points any day.

COYB!

• edited February 2020

Great visual representation of our unbelievable season:

I thought we'd been outside the top six for a week or two early on but apparently not.
  • Still can't fathom the goalkeeping situation to be honest but if we keep everyone fit between now and the end of the season, particularly Smyth and Fred, then we can achieve something quite remarkable.

I'd back that starting line up from Saturday to win most of our remaining games.

• Thanks @RioDoherty - and also a massive "hats off" for your dedication to supporting your club!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Thanks @RioDoherty - and also a massive "hats off" for your dedication to supporting your club!

Seconded.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Thanks @RioDoherty - and also a massive "hats off" for your dedication to supporting your club!

I thought oh I'm not watching that for 26mins but ended up watching it all and enjoyed it!

• Well done Rio, and nice one getting to a new ground. Timothy Tick Offs will always be welcome here, it's a proud Wycombe tradition

• Much prefer the eastern europe version known as Tomaz Tikov .

• @LeedsBlue said:

@LeedsBlue said:

Thanks mate and best of luck for the rest of the season.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:

@LeedsBlue said:

I thought oh I'm not watching that for 26mins but ended up watching it all and enjoyed it!

Haha thanks you very much, I appreciate it!

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:

@LeedsBlue said:

Haha thank you very much, I appreciate it!

• @eric_plant said:
    Well done Rio, and nice one getting to a new ground. Timothy Tick Offs will always be welcome here, it's a proud Wycombe tradition

Cheers mate! I’ve ticked off 69 so far ?.

• @RioDoherty lucky you. How many grounds have you been to?

• @LX1. Be’ave.

• @LX1 said:
    @RioDoherty lucky you. How many grounds have you been to?

69 ?.

• @RioDoherty said:

@LX1 said:
    @RioDoherty lucky you. How many grounds have you been to?

69 ?.

Coincidence.