Skip to content

Playoffs?

Comments

• You are privileged @EwanHoosaami. I would be intrigued to meet the guy. His effortless wit is (nearly always) a delight.

• @micra said:
    You are privileged @EwanHoosaami. I would be intrigued to meet the guy. His effortless wit is (nearly always) a delight.

He’s quite easy to spot

https://promotionalpropsandcostumes.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Walkers-crisps-costume.jpg

• You walker @Manboobs . I honestly thought you’d put a face to the moniker.

• Or "man", depending on context.

• @micra said:
    You walker @Manboobs . I honestly thought you’d put a face to the moniker.

He remains a man of mystery.

• My work for The government depends on my maintaining my anonymity. I've already possibly given away too much.

• I think the beechdean sleuths are closing in @Wendoverman.

• Looking at our remaining fixtures i don't think its out of our reach to achieve 21more points....... would that be enough for the play offs?

• @Wendoverman said:

@bookertease said:

@Cyclops said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Try saying that to my face on match day @MindlessDrugHoover !!

Which one?

I think he (or she) meant ‘face’ rather than ‘match day’, which if so made me chuckle

Too clever by half.

Indeed I did @bookertease and @Wendoverman - Sorry for any offence.

• @Cyclops said:

@Wendoverman said:

@bookertease said:

@Cyclops said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Try saying that to my face on match day @MindlessDrugHoover !!

Which one?

I think he (or she) meant ‘face’ rather than ‘match day’, which if so made me chuckle

Too clever by half.

Indeed I did @bookertease and @Wendoverman - Sorry for any offence.

Both of me accept your apology.

• @bigred87 said:
    Looking at our remaining fixtures i don't think its out of our reach to achieve 21more points....... would that be enough for the play offs?

74 would indeed have been enough last season (Doncaster came 6th with 73), which had the two additional games to boot. But there was a huge gap from 5th to 6th. It would definitely put us thereabouts, though.

• I think 73 or 74 points will make the playoffs this season., There are about eight clubs competing for six places it seems and the points differences may be narrow this year from 3rd to 8th.

• For what its worth, looking at the top 11 (following the matches that survived storm Dennis), they each have to play between 3 and 7 of the other members of the top 11. Coventry still have to play all the other teams in the top 5 at home.

Posh play 3 of the members of the top 11 (1 home/2 away)
    Doncaster 4 (2/2)
    Ipswich 5 (4/1)
    WWFC 5 (3/2)
    Sunderland 5 (3/2)
    Gillingham 5 (2/3)
    Oxford 5 (2/3)
    Coventry 7 (5/2)
    Rotherham 7 (4/3)
    Portsmouth 7 (2/5)
    Fleetwood 7 (2/5)

• With our Gareth at the helm, winning (and not winning) runs seem to be quite a feature. No reason why we can't build the momentum again, the other feature we seem to thrive on is being underestimated.
    There is a lot to look forward to, especially this Saturday, to see if we can impress like we did at Bolton.

• @railwaysteve said:
    With our Gareth at the helm, winning (and not winning) runs seem to be quite a feature. No reason why we can't build the momentum again, the other feature we seem to thrive on is being underestimated.
    There is a lot to look forward to, especially this Saturday, to see if we can impress like we did at Bolton.

I agree...Gaz’s teams always seem to like being the underdogs. Maybe we will be better at a ‘backs to the wall’ battle to get in the play offs rather than being top of the league and having to win every week?

• Looking at that Doncaster & Ipswich would appear to be a threat with Fleetwood liable to drop away, even with their rich vein of form.
    Hopefully we can romp to a play-off spot! Big game on 29th Feb now at Donny...

• Rochdale, Rotherham, Sunderland and Ipswich. Coventry have quite a run of hard games don't they? Might be knackered by the time we roll up.

• One game at a time chaps!
    It's the first rule!

There's absolutely no way to tell if we're going to hit 1st in league form, or haven't scored/won a game for months form!

So we get to Saturday, and see how that goes.
    (Though guttingly I'm missing it, and there's no home game for a month after! Sod's law!)

• Funny how people’s perception is that we’re going through a bad patch because we’ve won 4 of the last 7 games. Repeat that form in the remaining games and we’d almost certainly make the playoffs.

• Having witnessed the two most recent losses @glasshalffull i would say it was most definitely a bad patch

• @glasshalffull said:
    Funny how people’s perception is that we’re going through a bad patch because we’ve won 4 of the last 7 games. Repeat that form in the remaining games and we’d almost certainly make the playoffs.

We've also lost 7 of the last 11.

• edited February 2020

@glasshalffull said:
    Funny how people’s perception is that we’re going through a bad patch because we’ve won 4 of the last 7 games. Repeat that form in the remaining games and we’d almost certainly make the playoffs.

It is 4 wins from 7, but it's also 4 wins from 11, and we went about 2 months without scoring a goal, dropping from top by quite a way, to 3rd, taking a heck of a net battering in the away games, with a lot of games in handers just behind.

We're still in a great position, and we'd have all taken it etc etc, but I think you take the relentless positive approach, others seem to enjoy the relentless negativity, when the truth is somewhere between, nearer to the positive side :)

• @Wendoverman said:
    Having witnessed the two most recent losses @glasshalffull i would say it was most definitely a bad patch

Not saying that we’ve been playing well, but we have still taken 12 of the last 21 points.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@glasshalffull said:

We've also lost 7 of the last 11.

As you know, you can put any kind of spin on statistics. I don’t think anyone realistically expected us to take many points from those away games against Oxford, Portsmouth, Sunderland and Peterborough. We’ve had a wonderful season.

• edited February 2020

Of course, but as has been noted above, it's not as simple as we've won/lost x amount of the last x number of games. Anyway, all that matters now is what lies ahead - starting with getting at least four points before yet another weekend off. The fact that we're still in the mix midway through February is mad really.

• On that happy note.......

• Not being positive or negative here just making a statistical observation..

When it is quoted that a team has won '8 of their last 10,' you can immediately deduce that they have also won '8 out of their last 11,' which doesn't sound quite as good.

• See also: we scored 2 in our last away game, or we scored 2 in our last 7 away games.

Regardless of how we've done so far this season overall, it is surely hard to argue this hasn't been a bad patch

• Surely the only statistic which really matters for this season is won 16 drawn 8 of our last 32.