Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

Comments

• Own Goals is now our joint fourth top scorer.

• Sounds like Smyth has had his best game in a Wycombe shirt.

• Wimbledon equalize! Some good results for us today. COYB!

• Rotherham have thrown away two points against Wimbledon. 93rd minute penalty to equalise.

• Smyth happier on the right.

• Well done, team. And well done to the brave travellers.

• Needed that ! Well done all

• Needed that! What an important win. How have Fleetwood beaten Peterborough?!

• Game changed when Smyth went down for ‘treatment’ and we changed shape to a 433. Wheeler dropping in meant we got control in midfield and it ended up being relatively comfortable. Until then I thought Bolton looked dangerous getting the ball into the feet of the two centre forwards and finding themselves with time on the ball behind our midfield.

Fred made a huge difference with his ability to hold off his marker and run in behind. Got the full back on a booking, leading to him being taken off at HT, and then won the penalty to tie up the game. Keeping him fit could be massive.

Very valuable three points. Must beat Tranmere at home next week now.

• edited February 2020

Excellent, and things look a lot more positive.

12 games left, 6 of them against bottom half teams - 3 in the bottom 4.
    Fred back, and it sounds like he and Smyth did well.

A couple of good results went our way, but a lot of rivals won, leaving very little space for error.

Last year 73 points was 6th place in a 46 game season, with 5th-3rd 85-88 and the top two 91-94. We're now on 56, 3 better than last year's total - superb!

We're in a 44 game season, but it feels like more teams are in the mixer, so maybe it could take more than 73 this year?

Either way, we probably need to win at least 5 of the 12. But very hard to judge with so many games in hand about, and so many teams in contention to play each other.

Maybe someone could produce one of those grids with points, and teams, and what year that secured what position - although again, being 2 games less this season complicates that!

• edited February 2020

bungled the edit above...

• Fred. The recent slide largely explained.

Highly enjoyable if a bit wet afterwards

• edited February 2020

@Malone said:
    Excellent, and things look a lot more positive.

12 games left, 6 of them against bottom half teams - 3 in the bottom 4.
    Fred back, and it sounds like he and Smyth did well.

A couple of good results went our way, but a lot of rivals won, leaving very little space for error.

Last year 73 points was 6th place in a 46 game season, with 5th-3rd 85-88 and the top two 91-94. We're now on 56, 3 better than last year's total - superb!

We're in a 44 game season, but it feels like more teams are in the mixer, so maybe it could take more than 73 this year?

Either way, we probably need to win at least 5 of the 12. But very hard to judge with so many games in hand about, and so many teams in contention to play each other.

Maybe someone could produce one of those grids with points, and teams, and what year that secured what position - although again, being 2 games less this season complicates that!

74 points (1.60 PPG) in 2015/16 is the most needed for sixth in the last five seasons. We're currently going along at 1.75 PPG, Pompey the only side below us picking up points at a better rate - and only minimally at that.

• That's interesting to know - and the key thing being in a 46 game season,

Momentum is everything though, so if we can put a little run in, as Peterborough and Portsmouth recently showed, you can storm up.

That 2 week break we have in 3 games time hopefully benefits us more than the last one seemed to!

• I think we have to give credit to everyone involved in that victory today. Our away form hasn’t been great and going into a game where it’s expected that we would win comfortably...other teams may have struggled with that pressure (didn’t Coventry draw 0-0 away to Bolton or am I imagining that?)

• Well done to the girls/guys who made the trip!!! Great win and it seems to be falling apart at oxford..... shame

• @Gary Cov drew 0-0 there when Bolton were still fielding their youth players.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @Gary Cov drew 0-0 there when Bolton were still fielding their youth players.

I hope they don’t pip Posh to promotion by one point then!

In other news, winning our next two sees us mathematically safe from relegation!

• Great result, thought Fred was superb.

Shout out to Allsopp, done everything right today and made some crucial saves.

• Well that was a rather enjoyable away day.

• Great result. I was hopeful but you never know. Clean sheet and a confidence boost for Rocky. Need to do tranmere now. Well done to to the travelling chair army.

• We've got to go for a proper big win against Tranmere, do as much as we can to get that goal difference back up. I admire Gareth's respect for all opposition, but they are a poor side and we shouldn't need to be too cautious. It's been ages since we've had a 4/5-0 win!

• Yesssssss!!!!!!!!

• Good job we won so we don’t have to spend ages moaning about that handball.

• Well we weren't great. Allsop is so frustrating when he tries to slow the game down after 5 mins, when we are playing the team bottom of the league. They passed it around well, and are a team full of big players. Bayo was pretty ineffective against their CBs, and if it wasn't for the fortuitous goal the game could have gone the other way. (although how the ref missed the handball I have no idea). Bolton looked a good team, albeit without creating much. Thompson looked hungover, constantly 5 yards off pace or just plodding around aimlessly.

• That really was so obvious. Unbelievable that it wasn’t given

• Thompson hasn't looked himself since coming off injured at Pompey, to the point that I'd rather put Ofoborh in until he's 100%.

• Was lovely to witness us do the double over a founder member of the League and four time Cup winners. Wouldn't have been complete without some nutter in shorts carrying a Sainsbury's bag

• Totally agree with that @chairboyscentral.